About This File
Back to nature
A pack of 3 characters.
Compatible with [DS] and [RoG]
Steam Download link
I still can't believe that I finally finished my first mod ever! In just few days, after researching and studding the game's files, I managed to learn enough of the basics to be able to achieve most of the things I needed for my mod. And for the other ones, I tried giving all of the credits of the mods that I found helpful in the script of my mod. (I was too shy to ever ask for help, so it was a long few hours/days of headache and studding of the game files, to try and understand how things work to be able to alter them in my mod X___X; )
My project was quite ambitious as for someone that literally knew one big 0 about how to code this game, but I never gave up on it. I have worked with complicated coding before on advanced custom stories for Amnesia the dark descent, so I thought "Pfft. Don't starve? How hard can it be? It's probably gonna be a breeze!" ...umm... Yea... Nope. XD That actually was a lot harder that I expected. But then again... Most things are hard before they become easy XD
So 4 months and about 300 hours of testing later, this mod was born! XD
The artwork and characters are made by me. And of course... (I don't think I need to mention it but I will anyways) Feel free to use the coding I made for my mod if you'll find it helpful, or even change it to use it in your own mod if you wish.
However, please DO NOT reuse any of the art that I made for this.
Thank you, and I hope you'll enjoy my mod! ^-^
(Also, sorry if there are any typos anywhere. They tend to escape me. XD Evil typos! :U )
About the mod
The mod contains 3 different characters. (Wool, Weem, and Waan)
Each character has different perks, custom speech, and special items.
All of the characters are taller than the normal Don't starve characters and have different analogies/anatomy.
They all also have their own custom character selection frame.
(You can check for them in the description below or in the pictures attached to this mod.)
Keep in mind that this mod resizes the headwear of the characters. So if you'll be playing with a normal Don't starve Character while having this mod on, then the headwear will look small on them.
Do not use this mod along with any other mods which transfer anything from SW to DS/RoG.
It might crash your game or kill your character. (If you're playing with Wool, Weem or Waan.)
Please do not attempt on making this mod compatible with SW, Hamlet or DST on your own.
Thank you for reading and for understanding.
I hope you'll still enjoy the mod the way it is.
Wool is a peaceful, sweet, deer-like creature which loves nature and gets heartbroken when he sees plants suffering or getting hurt. He sees the life of plants on an equal level as the life of any other living creature, making him sad that he needs to hurt them in order to survive.
Wool isn't the easiest character to play as. He loses sanity pretty quickly while gathering resources, and he gets hungry fast. Wool also has a very useful fried, a wisp. She can glow in the dark, heal his HP and recover his sanity. The wisp wakes up from a pearl which is Wool's special item that he starts with. The pearl can also be upgraded into a blue pearl, fire pearl, silver pearl, or golden pearl. Each pearl wakes a different wisp with different helpful perks.
HP - 200 | Sanity - 120 | Hunger - 90
- He is not scary to "prey", so animals like rabbits and gobblers won't run away from him.
- He loses no sanity during nigh.
- Standing near dark flowers, wearing the fashion melon, and digging up graves does not decrease his sanity.
- He can regain sanity by standing near trees, rabbits, beefalos, flowers, and by planting trees.
- He has increases defense.
- Starts with the recipe for healing salve unlocked.
- He will spawn a butterfly from time to time. (That's just to make sure that he will always have some way to restore sanity while the Wisp is resting)
- He can pick up the spiky bush without getting hurt.
- He gets less hungry from eating flower petals. (+3) (dark petals give him no penalty)
- Beefalos see him as one of their own and will not attack him even during mating season. They will also dash to protect Wool upon witnessing him being attacked.
(They will still attack if attacked)
- He can warm himself up by standing near beefalos.
- He can see beefalos on the map.
- His fur keeps him warmer during winter. He also takes less damage while freezing.
- His Wisp can heal his sanity and health, and she glows in the dark.
- He won't be attacked by killer bees if he won't bother them. (Killer bee hives are still a danger though)
- He loses sanity while chopping down trees, picking flowers, grass, or any other plant. (except cactus)
- Loses sanity while standing near tree stumps, burned trees, drying racks, and while wearing moggles, garland, or holding grass umbrella, or ham bat.
- Loses A LOT of sanity from burning plants and trees, and from heads on a pole.
- Loses large amount of sanity from eating mandrakes.
- Killing any living creatures (animals and monsters) decreases his sanity. (The amount of sanity loss varies depending on the killed creature)
- He does not regain any sanity from scalemail.
- He is a herbivore and can't eat any meat nor any crock pot food that can be made with meat.
- He gets hungry fast.
- Wisp needs few days to recharge, and is not fast enough to catch up with Wool while he runs. (on a road or with a walking cane)
(Some foods also work differently on Wool.)
- Durian - HP.0 Sanity.0
- Cooked durian - Sanity.0
- Red cap - HP.5 Hunger.12 Sanity.0
- Red cap cooked - Hunger.12 Sanity.0
- Green cap - HP.0 Hunger.12 Sanity.5
- Green cap cooked - HP.0 Hunger.12 Sanity.15
- Blue cap - HP.20 Hunger.12 Sanity.0
- Blue cap cooked - HP.20 Hunger.12 Sanity.10
- Dragonpie - Sanity.10
- Powcake - Can't eat.
- Taffy - HP.0
- Stuffed eggplant - Can't eat.
- Wet goop - Can't eat
- Goat milk - Sanity.20
- Watermelon - Hunger.60
- Cactus flesh - HP.0
- Lichen - Sanity.0
Wisp is Wool's little companion, which when awoken will follow Wool and assist him with her light and heals.
Wisp awakes from the pearl which Wool carries. It takes 1-3 days for each pearl to fully charge.
When a pearl is charged, place it on the ground and wait 10 seconds for the wisp to wake up.
Every wisp will stay with Wool for 1 full day. (Starting from the moment it was awoken)
Only the silver and golden wisp will stay for longer time.
After the wisp's time will be up, it'll turn back into the original Sleeping pearl (White pearl).
Wool will now announce when Wisp will be about to go to sleep.
The 1st cue "Wisp seems tired" will be given by Wool when there will be about 2 minutes left on Wisp's timer.
The last warning "Wisp is really tired" will be given by Wool when there will be about 1 minute left on Wisp's timer.
Wool will also say "Rest well, my little friend" once Wisp falls asleep, helping players notice that Wisp is no longer following them.
To avoid ending up in the dark when the wisp will suddenly fall back asleep, awake your wisp during the day or dusk.
Weem is a highly educated and intelligent water creature of the night. She loves solitude and spending time learning new things or crafting magical items. She is not too interested in technology related objects.
Weem can be a pretty difficult character to play as, as her sanity and health keeps on decreasing during the day, and can easily kill her if she won't be properly taken care of.
She, however, has all of the magical/ancient necklaces and staff (along with few other magical/ancient recipes) already unlocked from the start, and along with her ability to craft gems and use magic without sanity loss, can make her a powerful character when using magic.
HP - 160 | Sanity - 150 | Hunger - 150
- Planting butterflies will make a dark flower appear instead of a normal one.
- Her speech can provide the player with few information about the inspected objects. (But they tend to be long)
- Regains sanity during night and in caves.
- Rain heals her sanity and health.
- Spiders and merm don't mind her but will still attack her if attacked.
- Ghosts won't case her even if attacked. (She will still get damaged on contact)
- She can craft gems, thulecite, living log, spiderhat, and walrus tusk.
- She has most of the magical/ancient recipes unlocked from the start.
- She can use the magic/ancient staff without any sanity loss.
- She can craft from the unlocked ancient recipes without being near the altar.
- She can craft a stuffed spider which will make spiders protect her upon witnessing her being attacked.
- Can craft a rainshell which will call rain when played.
- She glows in the dark. (Her glow increases during rain and in caves/underground)
- She runs faster during rain and in caves/underground.
- She can grow and cut her hair to receive silk.
- She doesn't lose sanity from moisture. (But still dislikes wet clothes)
- She can always see the closes sinhole (cave entrance) to her always uncovered on the map when loading/starting the game.
- Bug net last for much longer when she is using it. (-1% per use) (Just because she needs a lot of butterflies to create more dark flowers for her crafts.)
- Loses A LOT of health during day.
- Loses sanity during day and dusk.
- Overheats fast.
- Pigman and bunnyman hate her and will attack her on sight.
- Catcoons dislike her and will attack her if approached too close.
- She can only eat meat and drink blood. (She prefers her meat RAW)
- Most crock pot foods which can be made with veggies or fruits will damage her health.
- Fishsticks - HP.-10
- Fishtacos - HP.-5
- Kabobs - HP.-20
- Meatballs - HP.-20
- Perogies - HP.-20
- Unagi - HP.-20
- Guacamole - HP.-20
- HotChili - HP.-20
- Mosquito's blood sack - HP.10 Hunger.8 Sanity.30
- Meaty stew - HP.-2
- Cup of blood - HP.30 Hunger.5 Sanity.3
- Monster blood - HP.3 Hunger.5 Sanity.30
Waan is a cheerful adventurer, filled with love towards technology, lots of excitement, and bad puns. He is always ready to explore, and when he doesn't talk about food or adventure, he loves making fun of everything around him. He in reality is a young prince who always tries to escape his kingdom as he loves the though of adventure a lot more than the though of becoming a king.
Waan is not too difficult character to play as. He is a very good character for players which love exploring the map and rarely stay in one place or around the camp area. He still might cause troubles during winter as he freezes fast.
HP - 120 | Sanity - 200 | Hunger - 150
- Starts with a backpack, food, a compass, his boomerang Boomy, his royal scarf, and a thermal stone.
- Loses no sanity during night.
- Can't lose any sanity due to food.
- Loses no HP from any kind of meat nor crock pot food.
- Loses no sanity when using the orange teleport staff.
- Is not a fuzzy eater and hardly gets any negative effects from food.
- Can see in the dark.
- Can craft gears.
- Walks and runs faster than the normal characters.
- He knows how to craft a shovel, a thermal stone, a backpack, a walking cane, a compass, a rope, a crock pot, a spear, a cut stone, and a tent from the start.
- He is a desert cat and will never overheat.
- His special weapon Boomy is unbreakable and has high range and damage.
- He has a collection of maps which let's him see all of the maps fully uncovered.
- His royal scarf has a high sanity heal.
- Can't gain any sanity from food.
- Doesn't have much HP.
- His special weapon Boomy can easily kill or severely damage him if not caught.
- He is a desert cat and freezes fast.
- His royal scarf is not too easy to make.
- He needs to keep the maps with him to see them fully uncovered. (As he tends to forget and the maps get covered up again)
Few animations might seem wonky.
Due to the fact that I tried giving to the character different analogies/anatomy, some of the animations might seem weird. (Even though few of them are caused due to the game's texture selection)
Wisp gets in the way of planting. -- Fixed in 1.3.7
Wisp might often get in the way when Wool is trying to plant something. (If that happens, simply make a small step forward and retry doing what you wanted to do.)
Wisp's timer changes. -- Fixed in 1.3.8
After entering a cave/going underground with an active wisp, it's time will reset (But only for the cave).
Entering/exiting caves, or saving and exiting the game while the wisp is active, it might cause it to change it's timer (sometimes staying a bit longer/shorter)
Wisps's animation freezes.
Wisp sometimes right after waking up might look like she is frozen in the air. But that's just the animation waiting for wool to move in order to begin.
Waan's night vision & Weem's night glow doesn't activate. -- Fixed in 1.3.7
Sometimes when the night starts, the character's night vision/glow won't get activated while the character stands near a light source. If that happens, don't worry and simply enter the darkness or turn off the light source, that will activate the night vision/glow immediately.
Waan's maps don't show in the animation.
Waan's book does not appear in the reading animation in DS (But it works in RoG)
Weem's HP decrease is missing the arrow.
The arrow which indicates a health decrease does not show during the day when Weem is losing HP.
The character's have their shadow in the wrong place.
That's actually not a bug. This is caused by me trying to push the character's textures almost to their limits in an attempt to make the characters taller than the normal ones.
(If you'll encounter any other bugs or issues which are not listed here, then feel free to let me know about them)
What's New in Version 1.3.8 See changelog
- Wool can no longer eat cooked tallbird eggs.
- Wool's pearl will no longer get duplicated when teleporting out (escaping).
- Fixed a bug causing some trees give no sanity damage to Wool when burning.
- Wool will now lose HP when overheating in normal rate.
- Wool will now announce when Wisp will be about to go to sleep, and when she falls asleep.
- Birds will no longer fly away from Wool.
- Wisp's time bug is fully fixed! Now the game will remember the remaining time on Wisp, even when going underground.
- Fixed few issues with Weem's tags (causing her to be unable to trigger some event's in the game).
- Fixed a bug which was causing the main items sometimes to not be given to Ween and Waan.
- Fixed a bug which was letting players duplicate Wool's and Waan's special items when entering underground without them.
- I managed to fix the bug that was causing Waan's and Weem's night glow/vision not activate sometimes near a light source.
- I fixed a small seasonal bug making Waan and Weem not switch their min/max temperature range.
- I managed to make Wisp less bothersome when trying to plant things.
- Wool now won't be attacked by killer bees if he won't bother them. (wasp hives still are a danger though)
I fixed a bug which was causing Weem's stuffed spider to turn invisible if left on the ground.
I fixed a bug which was making Wool and Waan unable to plant flowers.
I modified Weem's bug net modification a bit in an attempt to make it a bit more compatible.
(I got a report of it crashing the game before, if used with some other mods. I tried fixing that, but if it still crashes if used with some other mods then there's not much more I can do about it.)
Fixe an issue with Waan's flags and Weem's cups.
(The character's were automatically picking them up if loaded the game next to them.)
Fixed a bug that was causing Waan's scarf to become invisible if left on the ground.
Fixed the bug that was crashing the game when entering the adventure mode with Weem.
- Weem can now see the closes sinkhole to her always uncovered on the map when starting/loading the game.
- The durability of the bug net is highly increased while Weem is using it. (old >> -10% per catch || new >> -1% per catch)
- The cost of crafting a living log is decreased.
- Wool can now see beefalos on the map.
I managed to make my mod be able to recognize if the player is using the Backpack + Amulet slot mod, and automatically switch Waan's scarf from the Body slot, to the Neck slot.
For some reason if you have the Mod for the Backpack+Amulet slot from steam, it might sometimes not recognize that the mod is on, due to... Steam connection? I have tested it on and offline, and for some reason when The mods are connected to Steam (online) they often don't want to be recognized by my mod :/ But if you have the Klei version of the Backpack+Amulet slot mod then you probably don't have anything to worry about XD
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now