Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Recommended Posts

StarmanNess    820

Its function is simple: A structure or item within range of the campmarker cannot be lit on fire with a Torch or Lighter, and cannot be hammered unless it's the person that placed down said campmarker. Everything is still flammable, but it would be harder for a player to torch something if it's protected by the campmarker.

If the player who places down the campmarker leaves the server, the campmarker can be dug up by anyone. After that, the structures are vulnerable to hammering and torching.

When investigated, it would show the character that placed it down, similar to investigating skeletons. It would also say "[player]'s Campmarker" when hovered over. Quotes would be something like this:

Wilson: "This is [player]'s camp."

Willow: "I shouldn't light [player]'s camp on fire."

Wolfgang: "Wolfgang likes [player]'s home!"

Wendy: "Maybe I won't be alone at [player]'s camp..."

WX-78: "[player] ISN'T USELESS AFTER ALL"

Wickerbottom: "Ah, marvelous campsite, [player]!"

Woodie: "[player] makes a fine camp, eh?"

Maxwell: "[player] knows what they're doing."

Wigfrid: "Shall I defend [player]'s campsite?"

Webber: "[player] knows how to make friends!"

more to be added later

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    3,390

*Waits for an opportunity when everyone is out of the camp*

*Checks for any nearby flingos and makes sure they're off*

*Drops a trail of grass/twigs/anything flammable leading from the camp to outside the campmarker's range*

*Lights the makeshift fuse*

Not like that's something I'd actually do. Just pointing out a flaw in the system. Every anti-fire suggestion I've seen so far has one. You might be able to slow down the griefing, but it'll never be stopped. Jerks will be jerks and they'll find a way.

19 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

A structure or item within range of the campmarker cannot be lit on fire with a Torch or Lighter

*pulls out a fire staff* Or *sets down a campfire and tosses in a few logs*

(Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant. I'm just being a smart aleck)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarmanNess    820
1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

*pulls out a fire staff*

crap you got me there oh no

But the thing is, I think it would be plausable to make placing campfires disabled in the range of the campsite, no? In addition, getting logs and twigs and flint is annoying when your goal is to torch a camp.

But yea, this is somewhat weak to trails of flaming grass and twigs. There must be a way... :?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arlesienne    8,964
22 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

 

Willow: "I shouldn't light [player]'s camp on fire."

As a Willow main, this is blasphemy for me.

Actually, I'm not a fan of that kind of changes - not because they'd make the game dull or anything, simply due to the fact there's little chance of meaningful implementation. Humans are jerky meatbags, they'll always find a way to screw up if they want to. I'm lazy and bothering with such changes... I just cannot see the incentive. Which is sad. I'm not trying to thrash your thread, @StarmanNess, if some moddder knows how to implement that sensibly, by all means go ahead, it's just I don't think it has a chance to work. You can light a lot of things on fire or use them TO incinerate stuff, meanwhile no way of burning or hammering structures I didn't build when my friend asks me to salvage materials as we're moving and they are on the other side of the map would be annoying at the very least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarmanNess    820
29 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

As a Willow main, this is blasphemy for me.

... im sorry

30 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

meanwhile no way of burning or hammering structures I didn't build when my friend asks me to salvage materials as we're moving and they are on the other side of the map would be annoying at the very least.

Yea, I thought that would be an issue. Maybe there could be a whitelist that the builder has access to? The whitelist will allow people to torch/hammer as they please as long as they're on the whitelist.

 

32 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

I'm not trying to thrash your thread, @StarmanNess, if some moddder knows how to implement that sensibly, by all means go ahead, it's just I don't think it has a chance to work.

It's fine, I'm open to constructive criticism. I just really want others to be confident that they can go on a public server and have a base to go home to whenever they're doing anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arlesienne    8,964
1 minute ago, StarmanNess said:

... im sorry

Yea, I thought that would be an issue. Maybe there could be a whitelist that the builder has access to? The whitelist will allow people to torch/hammer as they please as long as they're on the whitelist.

 

It's fine, I'm open to constructive criticism. I just really want others to be confident that they can go on a public server and have a base to go home to whenever they're doing anything.

As far as I know, the mod Ownership has an addon called Friendship, which more or less fits your requirements. Sadly I have no experiences with either. I fear my feedback is not that constructive as I can't come up with any viable solution apart from just making a tentacle moat around your base on public servers (besides actual humanoid moderation), but I really mean well.

PS My blasphemy comment was meant as a light-hearted joke, apologies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarmanNess    820
2 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

PS My blasphemy comment was meant as a light-hearted joke, apologies.

Oh, I was joking too, I meant that I was sorry that you were a Willow main.

Spoiler

yknow cause people think youll burn down their stuff whenever they see you lol

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arlesienne    8,964
3 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

Oh, I was joking too, I meant that I was sorry that you were a Willow main.

  Hide contents

yknow cause people think youll burn down their stuff whenever they see you lol

 

Yeah, Willow prejudice when most of the griefers I've ever faced played Webber or Wilson, or Wickerbottom (for the books), is jarring. Luckily I've never been its subject personally. I mostly host though, only foolish and bad-mannered people accuse the host of destroying their own world, and if on a different server, I start by saying hallo and asking what character they want me to play, because if they don't suggest anyone, I'll 99% sure go my main Willow (1% for my other main, Wes - I love him, but playing him on random servers secures people's ire, alas).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarmanNess    820
2 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Yeah, Willow prejudice when most of the griefers I've ever faced played Webber or Wilson, or Wickerbottom (for the books), is jarring. Luckily I've never been its subject personally. I mostly host though, only foolish and bad-mannered people accuse the host of destroying their own world, and if on a different server, I start by saying hallo and asking what character they want me to play, because if they don't suggest anyone, I'll 99% sure go my main Willow (1% for my other main, Wes - I love him, but playing him on random servers secures people's ire, alas).

Griefing with Wickerbottom is extremely time-consuming, honestly. Cause you gotta find the swamp (which takes a couple of days) and then get lucky enough to find a tentacle spot, then pretty much pray someome has an alchemy engine in the world, and THEN you can grief.

I think it was an extremely smart move to make Wickerbottom need the Alchemy Engine for this ONE book, and nothing else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arlesienne    8,964
10 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

Griefing with Wickerbottom is extremely time-consuming, honestly. Cause you gotta find the swamp (which takes a couple of days) and then get lucky enough to find a tentacle spot, then pretty much pray someome has an alchemy engine in the world, and THEN you can grief.

I think it was an extremely smart move to make Wickerbottom need the Alchemy Engine for this ONE book, and nothing else.

I had one Wicker join our server, never speak, stay around her own camp somewhere, then make the books and laugh in the chat.

Except she wasn't happy to hear me sweetly note I've got the command to reverse it all in under five seconds and ban her with her things dropping to the ground. We lost nothing, actually rejoicing for the accident. Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarmanNess    820
4 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

I had one Wicker join our server, never speak, stay around her own camp somewhere, then make the books and laugh in the chat.

Except she wasn't happy to hear me sweetly note I've got the command to reverse it all in under five seconds and ban her with her things dropping to the ground. We lost nothing, actually rejoicing for the accident. Weird.

The lengths people go through to ruin someone's day.

What's your server? If it's not heavily modded, I might join you guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arlesienne    8,964
Just now, StarmanNess said:

The lengths people go through to ruin someone's day.

What's your server? If it's not heavily modded, I might join you guys.

We've got an invitation-only group on Steam where we decide on server setups. Most of the time they don't require being a member. The current nearly-vanilla pub is called Matches and Beard Hair, it goes up whenever there are people interested and I can host it with either moderating it myself or having one of our moderators do that. It's on ANR and has the following mods enabled:

AFK Protection (Clever)

Moderator Commands (the fork)

DST Tweak Tool (hounds are a bit buffed, but you have more uses of tents since I hesitate to wonder what sort of adult business you've been up to that resulted in the tent FALLING APART after six uses)

Running Mod (hold Shift to move a bit faster while losing more hunger and risking overheating)

Extra Equip Slots (due to amulets - just what size you'd need to make you unable to wear a vest :o ?)

Otherwise Willow is closer to her singleplayer self, that is takes less damage from fire after a longer grace period while still overheating if too close to a fire and freezing when insane, Woodie has his werebeaver form more or less from DS, Wes can spawn 700 balloons instead of 100 - BECAUSE WE NEED IT (ask @GiddyGuy). Ruins content has some more durability to make people spelunk deeper, though with the regeneration, we might remove that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarmanNess    820
6 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

We've got an invitation-only group on Steam where we decide on server setups. Most of the time they don't require being a member. The current nearly-vanilla pub is called Matches and Beard Hair, it goes up whenever there are people interested and I can host it with either moderating it myself or having one of our moderators do that. It's on ANR and has the following mods enabled:

AFK Protection (Clever)

Moderator Commands (the fork)

DST Tweak Tool (hounds are a bit buffed, but you have more uses of tents since I hesitate to wonder what sort of adult business you've been up to that resulted in the tent FALLING APART after six uses)

Running Mod (hold Shift to move a bit faster while losing more hunger and risking overheating)

Extra Equip Slots (due to amulets - just what size you'd need to make you unable to wear a vest :o ?)

Otherwise Willow is closer to her singleplayer self, that is takes less damage from fire after a longer grace period while still overheating if too close to a fire and freezing when insane, Woodie has his werebeaver form more or less from DS, Wes can spawn 700 balloons instead of 100 - BECAUSE WE NEED IT (ask @GiddyGuy). Ruins content has some more durability to make people spelunk deeper, though with the regeneration, we might remove that.

You hosting it later tonight? I'm down to play, although I'm gonna tell you that I'm not gonna use the extra equip slot. :cool2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arlesienne    8,964
1 minute ago, StarmanNess said:

You hosting it later tonight? I'm down to play, although I'm gonna tell you that I'm not gonna use the extra equip slot. :cool2:

If you'd come, I sure would :). It just boils down to when I'm done with work. This is the group, if you'd like an invitation, let me know, it's not obligatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Electroely    1,756
22 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

I had one Wicker join our server, never speak, stay around her own camp somewhere, then make the books and laugh in the chat.

Except she wasn't happy to hear me sweetly note I've got the command to reverse it all in under five seconds and ban her with her things dropping to the ground. We lost nothing, actually rejoicing for the accident. Weird.

Hold on, you have a command to reverse everything she did? Is it rollback or is it a mod or...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petitpers    2

Campmaker don't really solve fire problem !

i steal 40 pine cone from chest and start to plant until reach the limit of Campmaker ...
And let it Burn !

Ok more work than a simple hit or torch.

Maybe Campmaker allow only you to build/torch/hammer in a small area ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites