Don't Starve Together - First Play

So I just gave the game a little test today in prep for a group of us playing it tomorrow.

My mate (Lives like 20 minutes away) put up a server, pretty much everything worked.

The Account Creation worked perfectly.

The server list worked perfectly.

In-putted the wrong password to his server, got disconnected for wrong password - perfect.

Joined with the right password, couldn't connect.

Joined again with the right password again and it connected perfectly.

Spawned in, was Night time, but safe because of spawn-light.

Made a campfire, collected resources, everything was good old Vanilla Don't Starve.

Attempted to attack a Gobbler by cornering it with the 2 of us, didn't really work as I kept missing.

My friend attacked a Herd of Beefalo, they followed him, ignored me.

We singled a Beefalo out and killed it, took ages though, have you guys changed the HP of mobs?

Then we followed the tracks of a Koalaphant and chased it back to our base.

Then we logged off.

So everything pretty much went smoothly.

Unfortunately, I had 200+ ping to his server, this was my issue however, I later tested my ping to a CS:GO server and had the same issue.

Sorry I'm late to activate the keys guys.

However, I'm here now and I intend to help out has much as possible.

Edit: **** this is in the wrong place... Supposed to be in discussion... Fakkkk

Edit: Don't know who moved it but Thank you! (J20hawks?)

So... was that supposed to be about ping? Well then it's very common even when the host is close. Dunno what really causes it. I'm sure Rezecib will tell you more.

My sister was downloading the Sims 4.

On a side note, tried loading up and had some problems.

However, we believe this is a steam issue.

Anyone confirm that issues connecting to games (CS:GO etc) 26th October?

Joined a random server.

Pros:

- Met a player called HeroInBrine

- Met a few other players (Had 4 players at all times)

- Found it to be very difficult (Much harder than Solo Vanilla)

- Everyone was friendly (Out of about 6-8 people, no one griefed)

- Teamwork was essential for survival

- Good chat system, already set up with Whispering

- Hunger is almost at a perfect rate (Could do with a few tweaks though, bit too fast at the moment)

Cons:

- ~80 ping but noticeable delay/lag (UK based host)

- Death was quite difficult to avoid, but at the same time quite easy come back again

- Mob's increased HP is making them feel like a slight grind (It may be a tad too high atm)

- Chat Box got a little suffocating at times (Too big)

- Whisper mode a bit useless

- Shadow Mobs are too difficult, especially considering how they behave as well (Upgrade their damage and keep their health Vanilla + Remember that only insane players can see them; no teamwork applicable)

- Sleeping was nice but I feel that hunger drops too fast.

Overall though, it felt like a Don't Starve game.

It was more challenging than the Vanilla, no idea how you achieved this but bloody hell, nice work.

Extremely happy with the direction it's heading.

Players' damage is reduced to 60% of normal. Personally I think this isn't a great change. I get that they don't want a couple of players to just be able to shred koalefants, etc, instantly, but most of the time you're still fighting stuff on your own, and it makes it really grindy, as you said. Perhaps if it were changed to be reactive, so that it only reduced damage taken while multiple people were attacking something (but a small enough reduction that you're still better off focusing enemies).

You can get lag even with good ping, because a fair portion of the lag can come from the server basically just not communicating with clients enough.

I think whispering is more oriented at PvP or team-vs-team. It's not seeing a lot of use because those areas of gameplay are pretty unpolished at the moment-- which is fine, I agree that everyone cooperating is the core of the gameplay for Together.

Shadow beasts definitely need some attention. It's okay that sane players can see them because that's the lore (they're real beasts that are attracted to the insane, not figments of the insane players' imaginations), but they're way too hard right now. Between them randomly disappearing halfway through the fight (which is drawn out because of the reduced damage) and them ganging up on a player because it makes shadow beasts for all the players nearby regardless of sanity, they're just way too hard. Collecting nightmare fuel is pretty much impossible (as a client, anyway) unless you go the evil flower route.

Shadow beasts definitely need some attention. It's okay that sane players can see them because that's the lore (they're real beasts that are attracted to the insane, not figments of the insane players' imaginations), but they're way too hard right now. Between them randomly disappearing halfway through the fight (which is drawn out because of the reduced damage) and them ganging up on a player because it makes shadow beasts for all the players nearby regardless of sanity, they're just way too hard. Collecting nightmare fuel is pretty much impossible (as a client, anyway) unless you go the evil flower route.

They're difficult until you can get them "stuck" between two-three players all attacking them. Then they go down almost laughably easy.

I played a tiny amount of time (sadly and unfortunately for the tiny part) on @The Letter W 's world... but i fought them shadow creatures with him and 1 more :-) just surround the creatures from different directions and keep on hitting. They do die easily with 2-3 people hitting them. As for the poof animation interruption-probably, however i can't say for sure since i couldn't see them.. i was auto attacking but i do remember not having to move...

btw can they actually be hurt by fire?? i was  hitting them with willow's lighter lol

I'll bring up another topic.

Combat (PvE) feels really clunky, sometimes Wilson would just stand there, spear raised above his head for about 3 seconds before taking a swipe.

Sometimes Wilson will just hold his spear above his head and not attack!

Don't Starve combat is fine for DST (co-op) but please, please, for the love of god.

Fix the lag!

(~80 ping but feels like ~300)

Archived