Saving spots for people that were kicked off because of crashes

I have now been blocked from a server twice because I crashed and someone joined. Is there any way to help with this?

I don't think so, unless you could edit your server files to enable a password. Then you could just tell the three other players the password. Though, I do not recommend editing files, seeing how the game is crashy.

My plan was to invite a few random forumers once the rubberbanding issues are resolved. ( Skype might be causing problems, but at least people in my town connect reliably )

Edit: As for being blocked, you can establish communication with the server host through PMs in this forum, then tell him your problem.

• Developer

I have now been blocked from a server twice because I crashed and someone joined. Is there any way to help with this?

If you have a way of contacting the server host (and they don't mind doing this), you can ask them to ask the newcomers to leave. Or, if the newcomers are actually interfering with the game and won't leave, we do have kick and ban commands from the console. They're not nicely wrapped (i.e. made to be presentable/easily-usable commands) yet, but they do exist.

I understand that losing your spot sucks, but DST is not ideally played with strangers.

Grab some friends and start planning your synergies.

I don't think that's necessarily very fair considering not everyone has friends that play DS, I certainly don't anyways so maybe it's just me but I have to play with strangers and I actually prefer it at times and I don't think that should mean that I don't "deserve", for lack of a better word to be able to play the game with other people and enjoy it considering it can be quite fun even with strangers. 

I don't think that's necessarily very fair considering not everyone has friends that play DS, I certainly don't anyways so maybe it's just me but I have to play with strangers and I actually prefer it at times and I don't think that should mean that I don't "deserve", for lack of a better word to be able to play the game with other people and enjoy it considering it can be quite fun even with strangers. 

Keep in mind, the people currently in the beta are not the typical population.  They're friendlier, and more competent than open beta or full release will be.

Once the game is live, you're going to have griefers, newbies, and trolls flooding multiplayer.

I'd use the forums to find some good people to play with before then.

When I say that playing DST with strangers isn't ideal, that doesn't mean you don't "deserve" to be able to play the game that way (also, I don't appreciate what you're insinuating).

ANY survival game is a mixed bag with strangers, simply because of the potential for sabotage.  Sure, you might have fun.  Or you might have your entire base set on fire and deconstructed.

So let me clarify:  Playing with complete strangers is not ideal in DST, because you have the potential for griefing in a game where you need to work to survive.

Keep in mind, the people currently in the beta are not the typical population.  They're friendlier, and more competent than open beta or full release will be.

Once the game is live, you're going to have griefers, newbies, and trolls flooding multiplayer.

I'd use the forums to find some good people to play with before then.

When I say that playing DST with strangers isn't ideal, that doesn't mean you don't "deserve" to be able to play the game that way (also, I don't appreciate what you're insinuating).

ANY survival game is a mixed bag with strangers, simply because of the potential for sabotage.  Sure, you might have fun.  Or you might have your entire base set on fire and deconstructed.

So let me clarify:  Playing with complete strangers is not ideal in DST, because you have the potential for griefing in a game where you need to work to survive.

Well yeah of course, I know that it will not be nearly as welcoming once more players join. I've played many games before with strangers and gotten griefed, joined up with newbies and all that. I used the word deserve because I couldn't think of another word at the moment, just the 1st word that came to mind. So yeah don't worry,

I know all that, it's just that in your original comment you made it seem more like you should just not bother if you're going to be playing with strangers. But my response was a bit premature as well since we've yet to see how the game is once more players are joined in. 

I will post my password for "Widley's World" on the forums, so I can limit the strangers to only forum goers if I want. We have a nice community on the forums, so I am not worried about trolls on here. I will try to play with any random player, but I need practice in trying to figure what to do with 3 to 4 players. 

I'd say have the server hold the person's spot for maybe 5 minutes. If they don't come back within that time frame, the spot is then opened to other people. Team Fortress 2's Mann Up has something similar in effect. 

That is the design, but I have never had it work for me. Pre-crash fix DST was easier to put up with than some of the annoying things MVM does.

Consider letting the host flag current players, up to the server limit, who can bump others if they try to reconnect. Display the number of reserved slots to players and some indicator to those flagged.

Is there an option to toggle restricting new connections to friends or those who have been in the game? This might be easier to implement, toggle public versus private game while running.

Archived