Mod Tool Updates 2014/06/04

Cheerio

• Developer

Patch notes for the Steam Workshop Release version of the mod tools:

- Changes from 2014/05/30 are now live.

Patch notes for the Steam Public Preview Release version of the mod tools:

- Added initial support for custom character animations.

Custom animation tutorial:

- If you would like to alpha test the custom animation workflow, you can find a tutorial on it here.

• Like 6

• Developer

Yes except for the fact that I need to fix the Python installation found in there on Windows. Unfortunately every time I try to upload a full installation, Github just seems to die.

Yes except for the fact that I need to fix the Python installation found in there on Windows. Unfortunately every time I try to upload a full installation, Github just seems to die.

I had some weird timeouts on github these days. Anyway, that's fine, I just wanted to know if I can just rebuild modtools off github repo and play with new animations stuff, I can deal with python files myself :)

• Developer

I had some weird timeouts on github these days. Anyway, that's fine, I just wanted to know if I can just rebuild modtools off github repo and play with new animations stuff, I can deal with python files myself :-)

Give it a try. All I've done at this point is made it so that the builds that come out of the mod tools match the in game builds so you can actually create compatible data. I also just updated the tutorial so that it uses the proper mod api commands to replace the stategraph state instead of replacing the whole Wilson state. In the next couple of days, one of the artists here will help me out by making a proper test animation which will also help clean out any bugs with the implementation. 

Public preview of the Steam Workshop tools should now be good to go.

Ok I don't know if I should post this here or not, but... while looking for another issue, I just stumbled into a total nonsense, so dunno if my installation decided to go insane or am I.

Make the most trivial spriter file with just 1 png linked to 0-frame. Make that png with height power of 2. Observe pyexporter making 2 files, atlas-0.tex as square pitch black (at least that's how it shows after decompiling) with the width/height equal the height or the original file, and atlas-1.tex as the 'expected' tex file of the original png.

Change the png's height to anything not pow2 and it behaves completely as expected, just one tex file.

Using source-built github master (mingw32 - win7 64bit) from here with python files replaced with the ones stripped off archive here (tried with ripping off old steam modtools, same thing)

source+intermed files source.zip

generated anim output test.zip

I find it hard to believe this is intended behavior, tho I do not know/see any obvious side effects/glitches.

BTW do the folders for dont starve, dont starve together and the mod tools need to be in the same Steam folder? I have steam on C:\ but most my games on D:\

Trying to understand why it won't work. Also the autocompiler.exe seems to run the files from the modtools instead of the game through the compiler and gets stuck on one of the .py files with endless poolworker checks.

Well, I've been through the ringer today with the hodgepodge of tools available for Mac... And I was finally able to successfully manually convert pngs to tex files and scml files to bins. Unfortunately, it was a wicked pain, but here are the steps in general. This process is not for the command line squeamish.

This was on a pretty vanilla install of OSX 10.10, so you might have some of these dependent libraries already installed. I did not.

First, you will need XCode's command line tools installed.

Install the CMake command line tool, make sure it's in /usr/local/bin.

https://cmake.org/

Install ImageMagick. I attempted to do this one manually from the ImageMagick website, but I could never get the png library to register as a delegate. Eventually I gave up and just used this, which was a lot easier.

http://cactuslab.com/imagemagick/

However, that installs it to /opt/ImageMagick, which I couldn't figure out how to pass into the ktools config, so you have to move the contents of each of the individual folders inside /opt/ImageMagick (bin, lib, include, share, etc) to their respective locations in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib... etc.

Now you can finally install ktools...

https://github.com/nsimplex/ktools

Next, you'll need zlib...

Install zlib

http://zlib.net/

And now, pil...

sudo easy_install pil

And now, premake...

http://premake.github.io/download.html

And finally, you can install

https://github.com/kleientertainment/ds_mod_tools

However, the premake4.lua script is broken on mac, so that has to be fixed. Change the following lines as so:

50: return "macosx"
123: return _OPTIONS.os == "linux" or _OPTIONS.os == "macosx"
247: cmd_template = "cp -a %q/. %q/."

Now install the Don't Starve Mod Tools in Steam if you haven't already.

And finally copy the contents from from the ds_mod_tools-master/build/osx/mod_tools into the mod_tools directory of the Don't Starve Mod Tools. For me, this path was at ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Mod Tools"

However, I haven't been able to get the autocompiler to work yet, so I'm hoping someone out there can let me know what I'm missing. So close, and yet so far away. In any case, you can use the scml tool directly to create your anim/ bins and you can use ktool to create your tex files. It might help to put this into your .bash_profile file:

alias scml="~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Don\'t\ Starve\ Mod\ Tools/mod_tools/scml"

It was a long process with lots of trial and error, so I hope I didn't forget anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1