What will this mean for mods?

Everyone knows I'm not a modder, but given that they're adding all the functionality of a proper multiplayer mode, will this give modders the ability to change things based on multiplayer?

I think it'd be the perfect time to add more ways for custom content to go into the game like map editing and whatnot.

As a modder, I would REALLY like to be able to use at least character mods over online connection.

Maybe as soon as you connect to someone and they're using a character mod, your machine could download that mod so their character appears in-game?  I'm not sure how it would work, but it's an idea.

Maybe there will be a way to have character mods become "multiplayer-certified" before they can be used, similar to how TF2 requires that items have gold stars that signify that they work completely with the game before they're implemented.

But yeah, I just put Weston up on Steam last night, and I'd LOVE to use him with online.

I'm thinking you can dash away your dreams of playing as modded characters in public multiplayer wouldn't work as atleast 1 person out of four wouldn't have those files. Plus even if all 4 had the files you could ruin someone's experience by being an OP-on purpose character such as WOOD. However I think it will work privately if all players have the same mods enabled. 

I'm thinking you can dash away your dreams of playing as modded characters in public multiplayer wouldn't work as atleast 1 person out of four wouldn't have those files. Plus even if all 4 had the files you could ruin someone's experience by being an OP-on purpose character such as WOOD. However I think it will work privately if all players have the same mods enabled. 

That's why I think the ability to sumbit your character mods for review would be the best idea.  Klei could look it over, test it a little, go through files, and report to you it's grade.  If there's something you should change about it, they could tell you, you change it, and re-submit.  When it gets a 100% satisfaction level, it gets certified for multiplayer use.

That's why I think the ability to sumbit your character mods for review would be the best idea.  Klei could look it over, test it a little, go through files, and report to you it's grade.  If there's something you should change about it, they could tell you, you change it, and re-submit.  When it gets a 100% satisfaction level, it gets certified for multiplayer use.

Seems reasonable. Maybe you can host mod only lobbies and set it away from Vanilla lobbies. 

Klei is adept at giving the player base a huge amount of options.  Just look at the world gen options screens.   Why couldn't they give the host a "required mods" list, where you can't join without having those mods?  They could also have a "forbidden mods" list, so that players know that if they join that server, any mods they have in the forbidden list will be disabled for that world?

On the flip side, they could give the player their own "required mods" list, and the player could search for hosts who allow those mods.  And by the forbidden list, automatically remove from the search results hosts that don't allow certain mods. 

I'm betting Klei will handle this well.

There is another interesting thread about this topic here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36087-server-side-mod-management/

This is absolutely something that we are interested in exploring. We consider mods an important part of Don't Starve and hope to be able to support them as much as possible. 

aw crap just lock this one. I glanced at the threads but didn't glance hard enough

There is another interesting thread about this topic here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36087-server-side-mod-management/

This is absolutely something that we are interested in exploring. We consider mods an important part of Don't Starve and hope to be able to support them as much as possible. 

Wow, didn't see that thread.

Anyway, thank you for giving feedback at at least letting us know you're listening.  There aren't many developers who do that nowadays.

Archived