How do I fix the "plugged sinkholes" bug?

I recently opened an online dedicated server that was supposed to have both the surface and caves enabled. However, upon mining a sinkhole I noticed it was covered in vines and I could not actually go down it. Is there a reason this happened, and is it fixable without restarting the world? I tried to google this issue, but found very limited results.

I'm not an admin of any server or very good at lua, but I encountered this once on a group server, I think it is caused by the caves shard not launching/working/idk. The admins then restarted the servers (not regenerated, just shut it down and launched again) and it worked fine.

9 hours ago, fimmatek said:

I'm not an admin of any server or very good at lua, but I encountered this once on a group server, I think it is caused by the caves shard not launching/working/idk. The admins then restarted the servers (not regenerated, just shut it down and launched again) and it worked fine.

I have tried doing so, but the sinkholes are still not enter-able. Im wondering if it has something to do with the worldgenoverride.lua. I don't know if theres a setting in there that would enable caves. (I got two worldgenoverride.lua's, one of which is for caves).

EDIT: I think I found something. In the Cluster.ini file, shards were not enabled. If my understanding is correct, this setting has to be enabled in order for the server to create a separate overworld and caves, correct? If I were to enable this setting, and then regenerate the world, would it allow for caves then?  It also seems like the "master port" for the cluster.ini file, under the shards category, what port do I use? I've tried using the port for the master server, but in the console it gets an error saying that it cant confirm the port is open in the firewall.

On 8.7.2018 at 8:04 PM, Wwlink55 said:

I think I found something. In the Cluster.ini file, shards were not enabled. If my understanding is correct, this setting has to be enabled in order for the server to create a separate overworld and caves, correct?

Correct.

and then regenerate the world

There's no need on a dedicated server. You can just connect shards to existing worlds like that. (Ofc you can still regenerate the world if you want.)

It also seems like the "master port" for the cluster.ini file, under the shards category, what port do I use?

Any port that is different from the ports you used for the individual shards (And is not in use otherwise). Essentially that is the port which the master and the cave server communicate over. (Default was 10889 iirc.)

7 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

Correct.

There's no need on a dedicated server. You can just connect shards to existing worlds like that. (Ofc you can still regenerate the world if you want.)

Any port that is different from the ports you used for the individual shards (And is not in use otherwise). Essentially that is the port which the master and the cave server communicate over. (Default was 10889 iirc.)

I actually managed to get them working...although im a bit miffed as to why it wasn't working.

The server provider that was rented was not very clear that you absolutely required at least two servers in order to allow for caves, and I thought you could somehow do it with just one server. Since then, I was able to set things up.

7 hours ago, Wwlink55 said:

The server provider that was rented was not very clear that you absolutely required at least two servers in order to allow for caves, and I thought you could somehow do it with just one server. Since then, I was able to set things up.

I guess this depends on how much freedom you are granted on the rented server. If you are allowed to launch any and all software on that server, you can run the two DST servers on one server. If not you have to rent two.

Archived