Red Hounds vs. Ice Staff

'Twas a crisp autumn day when this story of stupidity, bravery, and smarts unfolded:

My cousin and I were playing on a world. It was in autumn, day 15 or so. Suddenly my cousin; WX, and I; Wickerbottom, both commented on a barking noise. "Something is approaching," said Wickerbottom. On the skype call, I muttered, "Hounds." Hound attacks were routine, and both of us were experienced enough to know that with a football helmet and a spear in hand, the hounds were mere annoyances. We waited for the hounds, my heart thumping even though I knew what to do. Suddenly a hound appeared out of nowhere, and I ran towards it. Killing it in a few hits, I realized with horror. "OH SHOOT SHOOT RED HOUND RED HOUND!!!" I shouted. My stupidity and ignorance had caused me to ignore its color. My cousin and I ran around our base in terror as flames engulfed our birch tree farm. Suddenly his voice cried out, "The ice staff!" Earlier we had killed the ice hounds around an ice staff and gotten it. He plucked it out of the chest and started throwing snowballs everywhere. I killed the hounds chasing him, and periodically yelled "The alchemy engine!" when it started to smolder. Suddenly it all stopped, and our camp was saved. We had only lost all our trees and 1 out of 4 crockpots and had a heck ton of charcoal. And that was the story of how my cousin saved our camp from a red hound WHICH WASN'T AHEM SUPPOSED TO AHEM SPAWN AHEM IN AUTUMN AHEM.

Edit: Apparently they can spawn in autumn. :p

They do spawn in autumn, they just don't spawn on the first autumn which is really odd in your case, maybe you tweaked hound attacks somehow? I read that if you set it to more red hounds can spawn on the first autumn... Or maybe is a mod you are using that altered the hound spawn?

In any case, very cool and funny story :).

On 1/18/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

I've seen red hounds during the first autumn before. Although it's extremely rare. I've only seen it a few times personally. .

From the hounded component it takes the average of all of the active players' ages into consideration.

There's a 10% chance that a fire hound will spawn if the average player age is >15 days and <30 days and the season is not winter or spring.

If you're playing on a public room, then chances are there people who are new and drag the overall average down below this threshold.

Take, for example, 9 players with the ages of 15 and 1 player with the age of 14.  This averages to 14.9 and is below the threshold.

50 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

From the hounded component it takes the average of all of the active players' ages into consideration.

There's a 10% chance that a fire hound will spawn if the average player age is >15 days and <30 days and the season is not winter or spring.

If you're playing on a public room, then chances are there people who are new and drag the overall average down below this threshold.

Take, for example, 9 players with the ages of 15 and 1 player with the age of 14.  This averages to 14.9 and is below the threshold.

Wow, I would have never done that research. It wasn't public, we had both been there from the start.

Archived