Oxygen Not Included Multiplayer

Hello, I've been playing your game for about 2 months or so and I have to say I love it. I've tried to push my friends to get it but they don't want to due to the fact we can't play together. I was thinking of ways on how it could work and here are just a few ways multiplayer can be involved inside this game

First off, there is one host of the map. not an online server. Before you create the map it will give you the option on who you want to join you. You each choose 2 duplicates and load into the world. You share each jobs such as your duplicates can do the other players tasks. When a duplicate can be spawned it they must agree on which one they want and if they select it does a random choice of who did it. If the Host logs off then the other player can't play until he loads it up again and no new players can join.

My second idea is that the creating the map is the same with selecting who you want but instead you spawn in different areas and your duplicates are different than theirs, such as they don't do each others tasks. You can then build over and connect each others bases then can decided if you want to share resources, and duplicates, and again when host leave everyone must leave.

For both of these since there are more duplicates and more help I think it should be slightly more challenging. There should be slightly less resources, and slightly slower equipment and duplicates can get stressed faster. I think that the max players should be on the first idea 2 and on the other idea 4 so you can have more fun with friends. Personally I would love the second option a whole lot better but what ever you decided or even if this gets looked at or taken into consideration, I have a few more ideas for this game so if you'd like to look at them respond to this post.

@AlexRou It may take a lot of time but more people will buy the game if they are willing to play with friends. And if you aren't in any part of association with them how would you know that making multiplayer would take as long. They would use the same mechanics as the base game and just allow for people to work together. Its really not that hard if you still think that's it would take the same amount of time, Id be glad to prove you wrong and show you how easy it actually is to implement it into the game.

Just now, Shaninski386 said:

@AlexRou It may take a lot of time but more people will buy the game if they are willing to play with friends. And if you aren't in any part of association with them how would you know that making multiplayer would take as long.

They posted publicly on the forums saying so and I am too lazy to find it cuz it's a old post.

2 minutes ago, Shaninski386 said:

They would use the same mechanics as the base game and just allow for people to work together.

Seriously you think that's all it takes to make a multiplayer game? 

5 minutes ago, Shaninski386 said:

Its really not that hard if you still think that's it would take the same amount of time, Id be glad to prove you wrong and show you how easy it actually is to implement it into the game.

https://unity3d.com/

Do you even know a single thing about game development? Go ahead and make a ONI multiplayer game, I would love to be proven wrong. Since it is soo easy, can I expect it to be done next week?

@AlexRou Yes I actually do. I may not be no game developer myself but I know about it. They would use the same mechanics, such as the items. but the thing is a whole new game from scratch. A new game would take a lot longer. New textures, figure out idea for a game, make it run smoothly, many more things but for multiplayer now they have everything they need to make it. They just need to allow people to make private sessions and not no full public lobbies.

16 minutes ago, Shaninski386 said:

@AlexRou Yes I actually do. I may not be no game developer myself but I know about it. They would use the same mechanics, such as the items. but the thing is a whole new game from scratch. A new game would take a lot longer. New textures, figure out idea for a game, make it run smoothly, many more things but for multiplayer now they have everything they need to make it. They just need to allow people to make private sessions and not no full public lobbies.

Not true, same mechanics and design and art sure. But not implementation and balance. The "it would take the same amount of effort as creating a whole new game" was what I remembered from the post so it might not be 100% accurate and it isn't an exact quote.

Their simulation isn't even designed to be synchronized over the internet so thats a major chunk out the window. Assuming they got all the technicals down then you would still have a half assed multiplayer game. That's not good enough for the effort put in, so now they would have to redesign the game itself to be fun multiplayer wise and then most likely more art for multiplayer specific mechanics.

And now they basically have 2 different games sharing some art and mechanics. 

If all you want is a half assed multiplayer then go ahead and mod it into the game yourself and find out for yourself how hard it is. I'll even help you by giving you the tool to do it. https://github.com/0xd4d/dnSpy

8 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Use google then

Sir, i did that, last 8 hours, now i am someway frustrated.
"How to make oxygen not included multiplayer" aka "Tutorial/DIY/ONI" and others in different combinations i tested.
Can you give me an exact searchphrase please?

Just now, Oozinator said:

Sir, i did that, last 8 hours, now i am someway frustrated.
"How to make oxygen not included multiplayer" aka "Tutorial/DIY/ONI" and others in different combinations i tested.
Can you give me an exact searchphrase please?

Why did you think those search phrase would work .... theres no tutorials on how to do what you want to do.

I said to start with learning C#, you should google that instead. After you learned a ton of C# then go learn Network Programming. If you've gotten that far you should know enough to know what to search for.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp/

Archived