Gas/liquid INPUT vent

Hi all, another great game from Klei!

Anyway, one thing that might be interesting in regard to this topic would be to make it possible to create a vacuum with the gas pump in a sealed cavern.  One could then presumably, employ pressure equalization to move gas around the map.

-Cheers

14 minutes ago, pekbro said:

Hi all, another great game from Klei!

Anyway, one thing that might be interesting in regard to this topic would be to make it possible to create a vacuum with the gas pump in a sealed cavern.  One could then presumably, employ pressure equalization to move gas around the map.

-Cheers

It is possible but the problem is gas doesnt exactly move that fast (Unlike in real like where it would be rapid in this case.) But I think the issue is that we want the gas is pipes so we can use it.

I really like this idea. For one, I'd like to be able to use gravity to move liquids around. And this actually reflects how reality works quite a bit more. People keep acting like this is a big change. The game is in development, guys. If there is going to be a change, this is the time to change it. This would be a good change.

Realistic gravity would be neat, but it might prove too far beyond the scope of the game. Especially as it would eliminate building tiles in mid-air. It would allow for neat stuff like the magma piston in dwarf fortress. E.g. dig out a chunk of terrain and drop it into a pool of liquid (or gas) to displace them to a location of your choosing.

-Cheers

*A note on the topic again, intake tiles would not be necessary if you could simply reverse the operation of the pumps.

*@BlueLance, speed would be nice, I'm more interested in free however...

I would personally prefer that vents be two way, and the pressure value within the pipe be taken into account.

mechanical devices requiring gas to be supplied should either have their own SMALL intake pump which reduces the pipe pressure at the intake block, OR depend on an inline pump which requires power and creates a reduced pressure on one side of it, and a similarly increased pressure on the other side (yes, it would operate nearly identically to the valve)

with the current valve system, I've actually created thermal pumps in my bases which require no power... take a looped liquid pipe, run one loop through a cold section, IE a room full of wheezies, and run the other loop through a hot section(steam vent was my use-case) and have the valve inline.. feed the pipe some 'primer' liquid, preferably one with a wide range between liquefying and solidifying, and use insulated pipe where it's just traveling from loop to loop, and normal pipe with a good thermal conductivity, and you have a free refrigeration/heating cycle.

it's always bothered me that i cant keep the pressure in a series of rooms similar using just vents and pipes, but have to use gas permeable tiles surrounded by non-permeable tiles. -which is actually exactly what a pipe IS...

edited to add: also, colored wires/pipes HUGE +1... no more than 3 colors each though please.. or at least allow large and small wires to both occupy the same cell... 

I've suggested this before and I was thinking of a pump with a pipe input and pipe output and input vents/vents that can be an input or output as something that has to be unlocked high up on the research tree as a more elegant alternative to current pumps. Yes I want it so there are liquid inputs that only take up one tile and no I don't "actually want pumps that take up one tile".
Inputs that take up one tile would allow better and more efficient designs but pumps that are one tile big are not the way to do it. At least for me, a lot of the fun in OnI comes from having to design systems, for example having to plan where I can put which pipes without running out of space for them. If the alternative to pumps was smaller pumps it would cause the exact opposite of that.
Pumps with a pipe input and a pipe output would allow players to build more elegant systems just like smaller pumps would, but it would come at the cost of having to set up the pump somewhere and having to transfer the pipes through it.
I'm aware that this won't work with the way pipes currently work, but who's to say that it isn't a placeholder or can't be changed?
Even if small pumps would work, they don't really seem like something Klei would add, they usually don't just add upgraded versions of things that do the exact same thing.

On 7/23/2017 at 5:26 AM, Kaaloks said:

Buldric is absolutely right!

We do not need to change mechanic. Just allow "pump" to sit in the middle of the pipe network. Inbound pipe will be counted as "extended input slot". Nothing really changed from the "pump's" work logic. If "pump" can suck - let's suck from "pump's" input. Be it integrated input or distantiated input vent(s) via pipe

What if mechanically the game treats the input vent as it treats the pump... except in relation to having it powered? In this case, you hook the electrical cables to the 'Pump' which then treats the pipes as it's own sort of pseudo-electrical network and distributes the power to the input vents to power them?

So,  you start off by making a bunch of pipes that lead from Point A to Point B. You place and Input Vent at A and Output Vent at B. The game basically treats the Input Vent as the current Pump, but doesn't detect any power going to it so it doesn't work.

So, you stick a Pump somewhere in the middle of the pipeline and power it. The game then treats the pipeline as a sort of power line and searches for the Input Vent to send the electricity to. This powers the Input Vent and it starts pumping the liquid or gas through the system as per normal. The only difference is that the Input Vent is presumable much smaller and cheaper than the pump and you can have the pump placed in a more convenient location for maintenance.

As for having multiple Input Vents and only one Pump... since the Pump is basically sending power to the Inputs then it's basically going to get the same problems as if you tried powering two pumps with only enough power to properly run one of them. It would be like... if you had a Transformer hooked to the network that only allowed enough energy to power one pump and tried to run two of them. It shouldn't damage anything, but it will make both Vents run at a lower capacity.

To fix that, you add another Pump which in turn allows that much more power to reach the Input Vents.

So, to summarize, one possible way to make this work would be to turn the current Pump into a sort of specialized Transformer that treats the pipes as it's own type of electrical network. It then powers Input Vents which basically act as the current Pumps do now, except they'd presumably be cheaper and easier to place.

Though... I suppose you'd also have to provide the Pumps with both an Input and Output connection, so the Input Vents have to send stuff to the Pump Input which in turn sends it to the Output Vent after going through the Pump. Attempting to stick the Pump off to the side away from everything else with only a single pipeline to send 'power' to the various Vents returns an error message.

1 minute ago, Rossum said:

What if mechanically the game treats the input vent as it treats the pump... except in relation to having it powered? In this case, you hook the electrical cables to the 'Pump' which then treats the pipes as it's own sort of pseudo-electrical network and distributes the power to the input vents to power them?

If vents act as pumps then why do all that work instead of just adding 1x1 pumps? Seems like too much effort for what is basically a 1x1 pump without wires. 

Archived