Liquid Tepidizer and Space Heater should NOT overheat at 75 C

It is both unrealistic and inconvenient in terms of gameplay for these two to overheat at 75 degrees. Heaters in general can sustain much higher temperatures by nature, the heating element in them is often at much higher temperature than the temperature to which the heated medium is heated. And we should be able to boil water using these. If devs claimed that they don't want to prevent players from doing so, why do they actually do that?

I am aware there are hacks that make tepidizer to boil water, but they're hacks. It should be possible simply by sinking the tepidizer into the water and running it until the water boils, without damaging the tepidizer - just like it's done in each regular electric kettle.

3 hours ago, sai05 said:

electric kettle. have termal breaker

It does not prevent me to boil water in it. And in case I forget to put water in it, it prevents the kettle from breaking. Tepidizer will break at 75 C.

9 hours ago, charesd said:

make it out of gold? +50 overheat temp

Heh yeah, figured that out in the meantime. It still stops heating at 80 some C (unless abused). And its energy consumption is insane.

I agree that the power usage for Tepidizer is ridiculous and make it almost unusable on a collective power grid.

I am linking a topic that I mention a way to stabilize the power system to allow for higher power usage without overload the grid.

In my (limited) experience with the tepidizer, I did the following:

I placed the tepidizer at the bottom of a 8 tile wide x 4 tile deep pool of water (approx 30C, total mass approx 30,000 kg), on top of a large layer of ice (8 wide 2 deep average mass 800kg per tile at -32C) then I turned the power on.

The entire body of water is now ranging from 70-80C, the tepidizer is overheating, thus being damaged, while the ice has only warmed to -30.4C on average.

In my experience with ice (assuming only -2C) and tap water (assuming 12-14C) 1 liter of water quickly melts a lot of ice in a 2 liter container.  So I'm trying to figure out why my tepidizer can heat 30,000 kg of water sufficiently to reach 80C, but the ice is still too cold to melt with 80C water sitting on top of it for 3 full cycles.

am I missing something?  Does Ice have a low temperature exchange rate with hot water in the game at this time?

21 hours ago, randalin said:

Does Ice have a low temperature exchange rate with hot water in the game at this time?

Ice currently seems to be broken, as it only heats up very slowly to then turn into fluid completely.

It should be changed so that it'll thaw continuously when subjected to non-freezing ambient conditions.

1 hour ago, Masterpintsman said:

Ice currently seems to be broken, as it only heats up very slowly to then turn into fluid completely.

It should be changed so that it'll thaw continuously when subjected to non-freezing ambient conditions.

That's two completely unrelated changes. The fact that it takes long is in heat transfer between objects in the tile and what the tile is filled with. The sudden change is due to missing state change heat. But introducing that would not make thawing any faster - quite the opposite actually.

5 hours ago, Kasuha said:

That's two completely unrelated changes.

I only see one here:

7 hours ago, Masterpintsman said:

The other, more convoluted, about adding phase change enthalpy mechanics to model it more naturally is in another post of mine.

The issue with the current mechanic is that it dosn't model the thermal gradient inside the material blob but applies all heat changes to it in whole, which isn't how (at least) water ice reacts when exposed to heat: it'll melt on the surface while the core will keep temperature for quite a while, thanks to ice being a quite good insulator

It not overheat at 75 degrees, the copper is overheat at 75 degree so the building have to be overheated at 75 degrees, try build it with another material like gold, iron, wolfame

Biggest joke about this is the max temp is 85.9 so you can't even boil polluted water (or anything).

You really should have the ability to vaporize with Liquid Tepidizer. I might need to start over my save. Spend like 50 cycles to get enough power so I could get this setup that I had in mind to work, only to find out that it just keeps water warm. -.-

I guess I'll just have to get a map with steam geyser near instead of natural gas one. It's just not worth it. I guess they are just end game power.

Archived