Who's melting Ice and how are you doing it?

My current colony is my best so far. 0 stress, plenty of food, a comfy 71°F all around the living quarters, and I finally am not dependant on algae. Water is my next issue. Now, it isn't a huge concern. I have 2 fairly large bodies of water, and 2 smaller that are used for research and food production. Bu because I am sustainable everywhere else, I'm left with a lot of time to decide how to approach water collection.

The obvious choice is a geyser, and I have one... Except it is within 10 blocks of my base, too close for me to be confident experimenting with yet. On the other hand, I am absolutely surrounded by ice. So here is my question, How are you guys dealing with digging, storing, and melting ice? Chunks on the ground seem impervious to heat exchange. I get snow that occasionally melts, but ice is just stubborn.

Now, ice that hasn't been dug out melts super easy, sometimes whole chunks melt to a fart, so should I go the route of melting it instead of digging it and leave the rest i have dug up for Hatch food or mini coolers?

Build a basin out of gas permeable tiles, at least 4 tiles wide, put a treptizer in it, drop the ice into it (storage compactor on a vertical horizontal airlock does the trick nicely), apply power. Ice will melt, it'll take a while... just keep in mind to make the tank big enough as 1000kg of ice will turn into a full tile of water (for polluted ice it's 800kg for one tile).

I have storage boxes in my contaminated water supplies for polluted ice and snow and ice in my main reservoir. I just dump them into the water and let nature work needs to be lots of water or you end up with more ice than you started  

I happened to have a rather nifty geyser location just below my base that allowed me to tunnel up to it at an angle and make a little staircase leading to it. The hot water from the geyser flows down the stairs directly into an ice biome lol.

I had fun setting up a sort of A/C for my base, pumping warm hydrogen in to an ice biome.  It cools off nearly instantly, melts off some of the natural ice blocks, and I pump the cool hydrogen throughout my base in pipes to cool down everything else.  Eventually it goes back to my battery room and heats back up.  Rinse, repeat.  Twas fun setting up.

Archived