Wanted: Your Performance Profiles

Ipsquiggle

• Developer

Hey all,

We're currently looking into performance issues for Shipwrecked and would really appreciate if you could help us out.

In today's patch (189267) we've included a tool to make it easy to create and submit performance profiles.

The process is simple:

1) Load up a laggy save game and/or go somewhere that's showing performance issues for you.

2) Open the console (~ key) and type:

SubmitProfile()

3) Follow the on screen instructions. Yay! Done! This will automatically: Collect a performance report, upload the performance report, log, and save files, all in one handy package.

It also produces a reference number, so if you want to provide any additional feedback in this thread, you can use that number so we know exactly which save you're talking about.

Thanks!!

Questions and Answers

Should I upload more than one report?

Only if you think it's very different from the first one, e.g. a different world, different computer, etc. We do intend to look through all these so please be judicious.

Are we looking for anything in particular?

We want the game to run well, so if your game isn't running well, we're interested!

Did it work?

If you got a reference code, then it worked! You're done. :)

Is this on PS4?

Not yet, but any performance gains we make on PC will make their way to PS4 in time as well.

What about non-Steam DS?

The standalone versions of DS will receive this update shortly as well.

18 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Good job. I hope it shuts all those impatient ones who spread libel about DS being abandoned.

A game should always be delivered polished and showing smooth performance on ANY platform. Demanding this from day one is NOT being impatient, it's COMMON SENSE. Products must be launched once they are complete and fully tested in all areas. Period. I don't know why something so OBVIOUS needs to be pointed out over and over again. 

On 02/09/2016 at 6:47 PM, MarcCAT said:

A game should always be delivered polished and showing smooth performance on ANY platform. Demanding this from day one is NOT being impatient, it's COMMON SENSE. Products must be launched once they are complete and fully tested in all areas. Period. I don't know why something so OBVIOUS needs to be pointed out over and over again. 

the reality of the market makes this often impossible due to several factors which are :

-the variety of platforms, all PC are different from the next, some issues happen for very low % of users, tracking down some issues which you can't replicate is very hard.

-bug reports are often inaccurate at best.

-money, all projects need money, particularly for an indie game developper. Fixing bugs takes developper time & testers time, therefore money.

-some products (games) won't sell well, it's therefore a waste of money to fix all bugs. (read bankruptcy)

unfortunately the reverse arguments are true too :

-some developers but mainly some editors only care about money made & don't wanna reinvest in patching bugs out.

Just saying. I still fully support people who requests finished games on release, I just don't support bitching about it. (not talking about you MarcCAT)

30 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Submit a profile using the above instructions and post your code here, I'll see if I can figure it out.

I sent one earlier but didn't write the code so I dont have that code.

I restarted in the same place and its around 60 FPS, I noticed quite large lag spikes when moving and objects are set to active, and start updating, the longer the gmae runs the worse FPS are getting. Floods and wheather in gnereral destroy FPS.

So I guess after an hour or so I need to restart game to clear memory, otherwise even things like trees and grass starts to lag me quite hard.

Archived