Shadow Chests and their functionality!

So, I was thinking about what type of magic items there could be and Shadow Chest is something that came into my head. I didn't have any idea of what kind of special functionality it might have, so I asked someone with whom I've been playing DST for the past couple of weeks; Sir_Necrodeuce. He came up with the most magnifiscent idea ever; having shared inventory between multiple chests. But this begs many questions in terms of its functionality, so I'll explain how this could work and be an awesome feature in DST:

First, its main use would probably be for sending items to people at the portal if the base is quite far from it, so that yoy don't have to go to the portal every now and then to leave some stuff for the newcomers.

Second, in order to be able to send stuff without it being sent to every single Shadow chest in existance, as it would be very inconvenient, the Shadow Chests would need to be marked with gems. Attaching and taking out a gem to and fro a Shadow chest would require the player to hold Ctrl and then right click so that some noob doesn't come in and take the gem without knowing its functionality (sinse newbies tend to not know how Shift, Ctrl and Alt holding works for this game). Since there are 6 types of gems, you could have up to 6 chest "networks" functioning at the same time, so that Shadow chests with the same gem attached would share their inventory. At first, of course, they wouldn't have one attached, which would just make them function like normal chests, by having their own, independant inventory, so you would need to have to build at least 2 of these things and have 2 of the same type of gem attached to them to have its functionality good and working.

In terms of how you would open it and keep people from opening another chest with the same gem attachrd without crashing the game, well the gem on each of the same type of Shadow chest would light up whilst one of them is open and the other chests would not be possible to open until the person who has it open first closes that chest, after which the gems would stop glowing and the chests would be possible to open, but only one of each type at the time sinse they share inventory.

In order for the game not to crash in terms of gem attachment, you could only put on a gem and take one off if that chest's inventory is empty, or if that chest is closed because of another one being opened. You could still put say a red gem on whilst another Shadow chest with a reg gem on is opened, but you could not open the chest to get to the shared inventory until the opened one is closed.

This item could be crafted with say 10 Nightmare fuel, 4 Living logs and 1 Top hat (top hat because it's commonly used for "teleportation" tricks of items... Or rabbits >_>). In terms of tier, of course, it would require Shadow Manipulator to prototype.

So what do you guya think of this idea? And kudos to Sir_Necrudeuce for coming up with the inventory sharing idea!

So, I was thinking about what type of magic items there could be and Shadow Chest is something that came into my head. I didn't have any idea of what kind of special functionality it might have, so I asked someone with whom I've been playing DST for the past couple of weeks; Sir_Necrodeuce. He came up with the most magnifiscent idea ever; having shared inventory between multiple chests. But this begs many questions in terms of its functionality, so I'll explain how this could work and be an awesome feature in DST:

First, its main use would probably be for sending items to people at the portal if the base is quite far from it, so that yoy don't have to go to the portal every now and then to leave some stuff for the newcomers.

Second, in order to be able to send stuff without it being sent to every single Shadow chest in existance, as it would be very inconvenient, the Shadow Chests would need to be marked with gems. Attaching and taking out a gem to and fro a Shadow chest would require the player to hold Ctrl and then right click so that some noob doesn't come in and take the gem without knowing its functionality (sinse newbies tend to not know how Shift, Ctrl and Alt holding works for this game). Since there are 6 types of gems, you could have up to 6 chest "networks" functioning at the same time, so that Shadow chests with the same gem attached would share their inventory. At first, of course, they wouldn't have one attached, which would just make them function like normal chests, by having their own, independant inventory, so you would need to have to build at least 2 of these things and have 2 of the same type of gem attached to them to have its functionality good and working.

In terms of how you would open it and keep people from opening another chest with the same gem attachrd without crashing the game, well the gem on each of the same type of Shadow chest would light up whilst one of them is open and the other chests would not be possible to open until the person who has it open first closes that chest, after which the gems would stop glowing and the chests would be possible to open, but only one of each type at the time sinse they share inventory.

In order for the game not to crash in terms of gem attachment, you could only put on a gem and take one off if that chest's inventory is empty, or if that chest is closed because of another one being opened. You could still put say a red gem on whilst another Shadow chest with a reg gem on is opened, but you could not open the chest to get to the shared inventory until the opened one is closed.

This item could be crafted with say 10 Nightmare fuel, 4 Living logs and 1 Top hat (top hat because it's commonly used for "teleportation" tricks of items... Or rabbits >_>). In terms of tier, of course, it would require Shadow Manipulator to prototype.

So what do you guya think of this idea? And kudos to Sir_Necrudeuce for coming up with the inventory sharing idea!

It'd be great for world-wide storage, but deffinently not server wide. I can see people spawning in thulecite armor then joining a server now...

If it's primary use is to provide items to newcomers, why not just have the ability for the host to customize starting inventory for new players? There's a mod for that in singleplayer, but I think it would be a nice built-in feature for DST.

If players have multiple bases throughout the map, I could see the Shadow Chest being useful for quickly sharing items among them. It could be considered OP though, especially if there's just one main base.

Imagine having Shadow Chests in key strategic locations throughout the map, with their corresponding pair in the base. One person hangs out at base, tending to everything, while the other players are out scavenging for items. Rather than having to manage their time and inventory strategically with return trips, they instead just dump everything in the chests for the player at base to retrieve. The player at base can leave meals and hot/chilled thermal stones in the Chests for pickup, so no one has a need to return.  

Sure, Shadow Chests are a late-game item due to the requirements to build... but it also annihilates any sense of challenge late-game. And since the very beginnings of veteran-status in vanilla DS, we've been asking for late-game challenge.

If it's primary use is to provide items to newcomers, why not just have the ability for the host to customize starting inventory for new players? There's a mod for that in singleplayer, but I think it would be a nice built-in feature for DST.

If players have multiple bases throughout the map, I could see the Shadow Chest being useful for quickly sharing items among them. It could be considered OP though, especially if there's just one main base.

Imagine having Shadow Chests in key strategic locations throughout the map, with their corresponding pair in the base. One person hangs out at base, tending to everything, while the other players are out scavenging for items. Rather than having to manage their time and inventory strategically with return trips, they instead just dump everything in the chests for the player at base to retrieve. The player at base can leave meals and hot/chilled thermal stones in the Chests for pickup, so no one has a need to return.

Sure, Shadow Chests are a late-game item due to the requirements to build... but it also annihilates any sense of challenge late-game. And since the very beginnings of veteran-status in vanilla DS, we've been asking for late-game challenge.

It wouldn't be that OP sinse the the chest is static; itn's not like I'm suggesting some backpack that does this! The reason why late game becomes so easy later on is not due to the lack of content (well, may be slightly) but due to the way that the game functions. Its craftables are easy, you can carry a bunch in some weird magical way and you only have a few stats to take care of. People find ways to exploit mechanics of the game, however those gaps is something that must be closed up in order to keep up the challenge whilst still maintaining player enjoyment of the game. This game is sort of trial and error, but it isn't enough of that mechanic wise. Take pig village for example; pigs don't give a crap if you wreck their houses and their village is so vulnerable that them being able to survive even until you arrived in the world makes no sense. Most of the time, more logic makes the game harder, but it also makes it more complicated to implement, but devs ain't got time to fix that now. In my second mod project, you can look forward to over 30 or even over 40 stats (stats as in like hunger, health, sanity, wetness), which might make it tedious and seem impossible first, but it's not like every stat goes down really all the time; there are specific occasions when a stat might go down or up and there will always be ways of dealing with them. Consider that, smaller inventory, harder crftables' recipes and overall; harder survival. It's not really the the content that needs to be buffier, it's the player who needs to be nerfed in many ways. Nerf the player, and a fight with a 2750 health dragonfly might seem like a one that of a dragonfly with 27500 health with you being as bulky as you are now.

So may be yes, it is OP in the state that the game is currently at, but if the player is nerfed, then its a whole different story and then even if you're a decent pro, you might not even be able to reach the point of crafting suchan "OP" item as a Shadow Chest.

Even Creeps in the Deeps will make things harder for the player by giving 2 new stats to take care of.

I kinda like it...

Maybe a way to get the skull chest (Pandora's chest?)in the files appear in the actual game O__O

It would still be hammer-able and not be too OP since you'd need to get 2 of a gem type for it to work, you can steal from it, it's not that OP, it's another thing you can manage in the game... it's kinda not too different from having to guard your purple gems in a telelocator focus...

Recipe?

Hmm...

• Nightmarefuel - (about 4-8?)
  • Living Log - (about 8? a full size tree guard?)
  • 1 meat ball O__O for kicks (jk, something "magical" maybe... like a... telelocator staff? O__O)

EDIT: Things O__O

I liked the beginning of this idea, but I think it became over-complicated. The simple idea of chests which share an inventory wherever they are placed is brilliant. It should simply be one shared inventory regardless of how many chests are made. 

The chests themselves should be made out of a resource gained 100% of the time by a giant, limiting the chests to 1 per year, with possible 1 of this resource already present in the world somewhere. This would allow 2 of these chests to be built in the first year, then 1 just per year after that (providing you kill the giant).

The second resource should be something semi-non-renewable, by which I mean something like gears: yes they are renewable, but they require things with very small chances such as tumbleweed. This second resource makes the chests infinite in theory, but costly enough that they can't be hammered and reassembled too often (therefore stopping it being portable). 

Archived