DST for some too easy

Since _Q_ made some interesting critics, I like to share my thoughts:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52853-reign-of-giants-coming-to-dst-april-21st/?p=629896

with the too easily created clothes: what about, when the new crafted clothes starts with 50% or 25% of usage. so you ve to use sew kit or craft them more often. or you can repair the hat also with its clothes-elementary thing, like for beefalo-hat adding 1 wool => 10% of restoring. but get one cloth is very important for winter or summer. so increasing the crafting-requirements would make it too hard. (example: you need 15 wool for hat, but have 14 => you die in winter)

the food is way too much: how about, that you need more time to gather a berry from a berry bush?? maybe 10 or 5 secs? then you might think twice, if you are gathering it on the way or leave it. same for carrots and many other stuff. and about the meat: it can spoil just double as much.

and that there is no need for a brain playing DST: maybe Klei can add some math-questions (like every 5 minutes you get question like "what is integral of sin^2(x)") and when the player solve it, he can run faster for some time. just joke

Since _Q_ made some interesting critics, I like to share my thoughts:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52853-reign-of-giants-coming-to-dst-april-21st/?p=629896

with the too easily created clothes: what about, when the new crafted clothes starts with 50% or 25% of usage. so you ve to use sew kit or craft them more often. or you can repair the hat also with its clothes-elementary thing, like for beefalo-hat adding 1 wool => 10% of restoring. but get one cloth is very important for winter or summer. so increasing the crafting-requirements would make it too hard. (example: you need 15 wool for hat, but have 14 => you die in winter)

the food is way too much: how about, that you need more time to gather a berry from a berry bush?? maybe 10 or 5 secs? then you might think twice, if you are gathering it on the way or leave it. same for carrots and many other stuff. and about the meat: it can spoil just double as much.

and that there is no need for a brain playing DST: maybe Klei can add some math-questions (like every 5 minutes you get question like "what is integral of sin^2(x)") and when the player solve it, he can run faster for some time. just joke

Felt you needed to make sure everyone saw that

Putting the jokes aside I think DS and DST are too simple for some seasoned players to a level survival gets mechanical. I believe there are ways to enhance the game by optional and gradual season to season difficulty increase which will make the game more interesting, challenging, randomized and give you a specific and tough goal without altering the game balance or being out-of-the-lore.

Here is one concept of such enhancement: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52967-making-the-game-harder-disasters-and-rituals/

I also heard of a system that gives you cards of tasks and punishments that you need to follow. Problem with that though it's not enforced i.e. you could cheat the system effortlessly and it doesn't look natural.

Archived