PSA: To join a server you can't see (host+client in same computer) via console

Thanks to Klei for the new command!

In order to host your server, you needed to portforward, to do that, you needed to know the IP your router assigned internally to your PC.

Step 0) Get that IP, via ipconfig in cmd or by checking where you portforwarded DST

Step 1) Enter DST

Step 2) Click Play! to enter the server list (authenticating your account)

Step 3) Open console

Step 4) c_connect("ip", port, [password])

Example1: c_connect("192.168.1.201")

Example2: c_connect("192.168.1.201", 10998) [for a non-default port]

Step 5) Enter

Thanks again, Klei!

Also,

@Jubileet

In response to the original post- as of today your online dedicated server will also appear in your lan listings and can be joined directly through that listing.  If you join through this listing, it will use your internal network address, and it will work :-)

Hello,

Even c_connect("192.168.1.201") should work, as you're using the default port ;)

I was told by a friend that he needed to insert the port. Maybe he missed the "s the time it failed. :encouragement:

Regardless, you are right, I will edit my post accordingly.

Also, new info.

And last edit, I'm an idiot, I was so excited with the overrides that missed the first line of the update.

This worked for me but there appeared to be a problem ... the map was not saved when I disconnected and reconnected. Only the map was lost.

Edit: losing the map and other stuff apparently is a common problem, and is probably not related to this connection method.

• Developer

I'm still smoothing out the rough edges with this function- but I'm glad to see it's already helping! :)

You can also join your locally hosted online dedicated server through a newly added lan listing.  This would be equivalent to doing a c_connect("192.168.XXX.XXX").  

Archived