State of OSX and Linux support

• Developer

Good news everyone!

We (mostly @CharlesB, @bizziboi and @nome ) have made a big step towards having an official OSX and Linux client for Don’t Starve Together.  With the latest patch we have uploaded a special 'beta' builds of our game, only available with an access code.  If you have a brave heart and you are willing to help us test our experimental OSX and Linux builds you can access them today.  Please report problems and issues you experience, so we can ensure the actual launch is as smooth as possible.

But please remember that these builds are a little fragile and may not provide the smoothest experience. This is a test build after all :lemo: 

To access the test builds:

• You must already own Don't Starve Together

• In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”

• Select the “Betas” tab

• Enter the code “osxlinuxbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the osxlinuxbeta beta is now available.

• In the drop-down under menu select to opt into osxlinuxbeta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the osxlinuxbeta beta. Press “Close”.

post-354503-0-66716500-1423266259_thumb.

Enter beta code "osxlinuxbeta"

post-354503-0-23117000-1423266259_thumb.

Select "OSX/Linux beta test" from the beta drop down 

Close the window, right click on Don't Starve Together Beta in your Steam library and install the game. You're all set!

• Developer

@b2n,

It looks like you downloaded the data:

Downloaded server listings - full: 1644 filtered: 949

Try resetting your server filters.  (That little back arrow in the top left).  It may be defaulting to something naughty.

@b2n,

It looks like you downloaded the data:

Try resetting your server filters.  (That little back arrow in the top left).  It may be defaulting to something naughty.

now all normal!

I don't need use virtual machine and now my fps good =)

very very thx

Maybe you can make hight resolution icon?

This resolution very ugly for launchpad.

I like the style of the game.
But the icon must be with smooth edges.

post-362832-0-14828900-1423272043_thumb.

Thanks for allowing us to beta test the Mac version. I'm unable to play though and I keep getting this error message:

"Check with the developer to make sure dontstarve_steam works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

Any help? :< Thanks in advance.

It does not appear to be working for my friend. He doesn't own Don't Starve for linux. I gifted him Don't Starve Together and he can't play it. It's also very confusing because the steam logo only shows a Window's flag. This is very unlcear for your supporters.

I have a podcast that I am going to promote your game on and I may just create a youtube video about this problem that my friend is having with his Linux version despite him enabling the beta he can't seem to play the game. Does he need to own the single player version or now?

Our website post about this is here: http://linuxtechandgaming.com/dont-starve-w-friends/

Same problem. On one Mac, everything works fine. On a second Mac with a different steam account, it doesn't work. I own the single player version for this steam account as well, I follow the steps and I can select osxlinuxbeta in the drop-down menu after entering the code. But when I right click on the game and go to install, I get the error message that it's not compatible. Also note that the "install" bottom in the right pane never appears (I forget whether it appeared on my other mac).

New theory: The problem occurs when you received Don't starve together as a gift and didn't purchase it yourself. In my case that is the difference between the two accounts. I would even delete the gifted copy and buy the frontier pack for the other mac as well (only $5 anyways) but I can't remove Don't starve together without emailing steam. Just a theory though...

New theory: The problem occurs when you received Don't starve together as a gift and didn't purchase it yourself. In my case that is the difference between the two accounts. I would even delete the gifted copy and buy the frontier pack for the other mac as well (only $5 anyways) but I can't remove Don't starve together without emailing steam. Just a theory though...

Im voting on this one , this is exactly what i was thinking since everyone who had the beta gifted to them via steam then therefore it wouldn't work for them. Im hoping they fix this soon if they can!

Archived