Webber's beard no longer provides insulation

I noticed this with a stage 3 beard during winter, I seemed to be freezing faster.

I checked Webber.lua, and sure enough, inst.components.beard.insulates is set to false. So there you go, Webber got nerfed. Most likely not a bug, I guess they forgot to include it in the change log of the latest update.

I think Webber's beard should provide some protection from overheating, since he is kind of a backwards Wilson. I don't know if silk growing on your face keeping you cool makes much sense though.

he got less amazing, but still amazing. He's just back to his normal amazingness level

lol i think it was intended. people were complaining about wilsons amazingness getting nerfed. actually not a bad change. webber has enough perks as is

• Developer

I noticed this with a stage 3 beard during winter, I seemed to be freezing faster.

I checked Webber.lua, and sure enough, inst.components.beard.insulates is set to false. So there you go, Webber got nerfed. Most likely not a bug, I guess they forgot to include it in the change log of the latest update.

I think Webber's beard should provide some protection from overheating, since he is kind of a backwards Wilson. I don't know if silk growing on your face keeping you cool makes much sense though.

Oops, sorry we missed that one! We're making another slight change to Webber's beard that will come in the next update: it will give some insulation again (it makes intuitive sense for it to confer some insulation), but Webber's beard will give less insulation per bit and grows fewer bits than Wilson's beard.

We definitely thought about making Webber's beard provide insulation for Summer, but ultimately decided it would be confusing to most players.

Oops, sorry we missed that one! We're making another slight change to Webber's beard that will come in the next update: it will give some insulation again (it makes intuitive sense for it to confer some insulation), but Webber's beard will give less insulation per bit and grows fewer bits than Wilson's beard.

We definitely thought about making Webber's beard provide insulation for Summer, but ultimately decided it would be confusing to most players.

By "bits", do you mean the stages, or the drops you get from shaving? If you mean less stages, will shaving at max length still give 6 silk like it does now?

• Developer

By "bits", do you mean the stages, or the drops you get from shaving? If you mean less stages, will shaving at max length still give 6 silk like it does now?

The number of bits is determined by the stage (which is determined by the number of days since the last shave). The number of bits determines how many drops we spawn on shaving. It also determines the insulation that the beard gives (there is a set amount of insulation that each beard bit provides, so we multiply that number by the number of bits). In Webber's case, we then apply a modifier to the insulation value after the bits calculation. So, even though the bits will give less insulation, you will get the same number of drops.

I think you should push through with Webber's beard providing insulation during summer because it actually makes a lot of sense.

For Wilson:

Human Hair Beard = keeps you warm during winter, 

Not so thick beard = cools you down a bit during summer

full grown beard = aids in adding heat to you in summer so you have to shave it off mate!

For Webber:

Humanoid Spider Silk Beard = cools you down during summer, kinda warms you up during winter.. 

I think you should push through with Webber's beard providing insulation during summer because it actually makes a lot of sense.

For Wilson:

Human Hair Beard = keeps you warm during winter, 

Not so thick beard = cools you down a bit during summer

full grown beard = aids in adding heat to you in summer so you have to shave it off mate!

For Webber:

Humanoid Spider Silk Beard = cools you down during summer, kinda warms you up during winter..

It's mostly confusing because it's a beard like Wilson's and doesn't really make much sense to begin with from a survival standpoint. I guess "*Grows a silky smooth beard" could be reworded to reflect that if it ever did protect from overheating, but still.

It's mostly confusing because it's a beard like Wilson's and doesn't really make much sense to begin with from a survival standpoint. I guess "*Grows a silky smooth beard" could be reworded to reflect that if it ever did protect from overheating, but still.

I just had to search for silk's warming properties, o.o and found out it's good for both hot and cold weather, so yeah, if the devs apply it to the game, Webber's beard is pretty awesome...

"Silk fabrics are used in cold weather clothing such as silk long underwear because the very close threads trap body heat next to your skin and help keep you warm. In summer, silk clothes are nice to wear because the silk helps to absorb sweat from your skin and help it evaporate keeping you dry and cool."

Silk on your face, would rather actually keep you warm. Not as much as beard but some insulations would be nice...

Archived