Known Issue - Feb 26th - Mods are currently not working properly.

SethR

• Developer

Hey everyone,

@Wade posted the following over in the Bugs forum, but I figured it'd be relevant here, too:

"Hi all,

In preparation of the new "Reign of Giants" DLC, we released an update earlier today which fixed some issues, and added support for DLC.

(For more info, see here: http://forums.kleien...es-feb-26-2014/)

Unfortunately, this update seems to have broken some of our Mod functionality, particularly support for custom characters.

We are aware of this issue, and are working on a hotfix to restore mod support. We are hoping to have this fixed early tomorrow morning (Feb 27th PST).

We apologize for the inconvenience, but in the meantime, if you are experiencing mod issues, we suggest disabling all mods until the fix is available.

We appreciate your patience.

Thanks!"

Original post: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31860-known-issue-feb-26th-mods-are-currently-not-working-properly/

Humble suggestion:

Find 5 or 6 community mods that cover a spectrum of alterations to the game and put them in a 'test run' folder on your dev machine. Then since we know they were working good with the current client, if the new client now blows up a change you made either introduced a bug or otherwise a new 'known incompatibility' which you can also post information on so the mod makers will be able to get to work.

Otherwise cant wait to see whats in store for this upcoming DLC

Humble suggestion:

Find 5 or 6 community mods that cover a spectrum of alterations to the game and put them in a 'test run' folder on your dev machine. Then since we know they were working good with the current client, if the new client now blows up a change you made either introduced a bug or otherwise a new 'known incompatibility' which you can also post information on so the mod makers will be able to get to work.

Otherwise cant wait to see whats in store for this upcoming DLC

We have some stuff to work out tomorrow, but once we are in the clear, we already have a plan on meeting to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

We did in fact check for mods, however it appears some stuff slipped through the cracks. So, your suggestion is certainly valid. =)

Wasnt trying to imply you dont already do testing.  Its just you KNOW the system. Us modders will have tons of 'less than ideal' implementations so just using a few of our mods instead of an official 'test suite' that you guys designed will make things stand out more. Also great to see how fast you guys dealt with the problem. Massive kudos to you

mods now crash game on io.read?

my modmain.lua have string like this

modimport "a.lua"

a.lua :

io = GLOBAL.iostring = GLOBAL.string
function blabla()local filename = "somefilename"local file = io.open(filename,"r")if file then        local str = file:read("*a")......endend

so if i comment "file:read" string no crashes

whats wrong here?

this scripts works fine until update...

file is text file, 2 kilobytes.

Hi,  this is my first post so I don't know if I am in the wrong place but within the last few hours a mod I use called the Ostux weapon mod has sort of stopped working.  The inventory and in-game image for the weapon are both non-existent, although they are in the mod folder.  This seemed to coincide with this update so I thought I would mention it.  If anyone can give me any pointers as to getting it working I would be grateful, I am new to mods but am hoping to create my own eventually.  I have tried disabling everything but this mod but this seems to be the only one with issues.

From the ronin without a katana.

Hi,  this is my first post so I don't know if I am in the wrong place but within the last few hours a mod I use called the Ostux weapon mod has sort of stopped working.  The inventory and in-game image for the weapon are both non-existent, although they are in the mod folder.  This seemed to coincide with this update so I thought I would mention it.  If anyone can give me any pointers as to getting it working I would be grateful, I am new to mods but am hoping to create my own eventually.  I have tried disabling everything but this mod but this seems to be the only one with issues.

From the ronin without a katana.

I have the same problem with a mod called Storm Cellar and another called Santa's mod which adds clothes and a new weapon. They are invisible in my inventory and when I drop them on the floor

• Developer

mods now crash game on io.read?

my modmain.lua have string like this

modimport "a.lua"

a.lua :

io = GLOBAL.iostring = GLOBAL.string
function blabla()local filename = "somefilename"local file = io.open(filename,"r")if file then        local str = file:read("*a")......endend

so if i comment "file:read" string no crashes

whats wrong here?

this scripts works fine until update...

file is text file, 2 kilobytes.

Hey @iWitch, what's your mod? We've been looking into this issue and we think we have a fix, but we need a mod to test with!

Hey @iWitch, what's your mod? We've been looking into this issue and we think we have a fix, but we need a mod to test with!

thx for reply, but i am off with using write/read with ingame LUA

instead i am using standalone version of LUA and mod dont need them anymore.

I'm still having some issues as well. Mods seem to be working on and off, and the game takes several minutes to load (with the game jumping in and out of "not responding"). 

SethR, I'm seeing the same problem. With ~40 mods enabled the game is now excruciatingly slow to load--it took probably a couple of minutes to go back out to the main screen after reenabling the mods (not sure why but today when I launched Don't Starve all of my mods were disabled), and then spent several more minutes loading when I tried to load a game, at which point I killed it and decided to play something else. Prior to the patches released yesterday and today (i.e. prior to the first ones which broke custom char mods), when I'd play Don't Starve, it would only take maybe 10 to 20 seconds to enable mods or load a saved game.

I'm running the Linux version of Don't Starve on a system with an AMD FX-8350 8-core CPU overclocked to 4.7GHz, 16 GB of DDR3-2133 RAM, a 256 GB Samsung 830 Series SSD and mirrored 7200 RPM 3TB SATA-III hard drives, and a Radeon 6870 using the r600g video driver with recent builds of the Mesa 10.2 and LLVM 3.5 development trees paired with a 3.13 kernel.

Thanks for the quick response, Seth! I seem to be having this same loading issue on both of my computers, one a desktop and the other an ultrabook. I'll give you the specs for both.

Copied from dxdiag:

(Desktop)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)   

System Model: Dell XPS430                  
Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad  CPU   Q9300  @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

(Laptop)
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) 
System Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model: 530U3C/530U4C
Processor: Intel® Core i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I hope this helps! I've noticed the more mods I have enabled, the longer the loading time seems to become (if DS doesn't freeze and crash). I think I have roughly 25 different mods enabled. 

I apologize for the double post, guys; I forgot to include my gfx cards in the specs above, and I'm a noob to this forum and don't know how to edit my previous posts (probably something painfully obvious that I'm not seeing).

Desktop: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Laptop: Intel HD Graphics 4000

I'm still having some issues as well. Mods seem to be working on and off, and the game takes several minutes to load (with the game jumping in and out of "not responding"). 

I'm actually having the same exact problem.

Interestingly enough I merged all of my mods that change/add crafting recipes for existing items into one mod file and it actually reduced my loading times, which means whatever the problem is it has something to do with the number of mods you're using, not the size of them.

Archived