Unable to launch game

Logan Potato
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Every time I attempt to launch Oxygen Not Included it immediately comes up with the Error "Help a Black Hole Ate My Game". I so far have done thee verification process through Epic Games Store,and I have uninstalled and reinstalled it. 

Steps to Reproduce
Launch the game and it wont launch. Not sure how you'd be able to reproduce the issue but all I simply do is launch and then it crashes on me.

User Feedback

From your log:

Access to the path "C:\Users\LoBrown\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\kplayerprefs.yaml" is denied.

You may check if this file is write protected. If not, there is an issue with file/path permissions. 

Maybe try to delete the file, and let it create a new one. (you have to adjust settings again)

Share this comment

So would I simply uninstall the game and reinstall it? Would would I have to dive into something and delete the specific code to make it work and if so where should/would I go?

Share this comment

The problem with uninstalling is, some files remain on your computer. And if they are the problem, it persists reinstalling. 

You can try uninstalling the game, and then take a look at C:\Users\LoBrown\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\ on your computer if there is the kplayerprefs.yaml file still present. If so, delete it before installing the game again. In fact, delete the folder itself (but make a backup of your save files!) to make sure, everything is gone.

Share this comment

I have check all over my PC an unable to find the file "kplayerprefs.yaml". If the issue is something to be fixed on the main menu of the game, I am unable to fix said problem. 

I went so far to uninstall then search and find nothing to reinstalling the game to experience the same issue again. 

Share this comment

Then we may have the culprint. The file should be there. Access violation without any file means, it can´t create the file.

So, there are 2 possible ways. 

1. start ONI (and Epic) as administrator. Maybe this will solve it.

2. if not, go to C:\Users\LoBrown\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded and make a new text file. Rename it to kplayerprefs.yaml and confirm if windows ask if you are sure to change the file-type. 

Share this comment

At this point given that we are unable to fix the issue as to why the game wont launch. Would it make life easier to just put in a ticket for a refund and but it through Steam? Really wanting to play this game but given how much troubleshooting we've done to no avail i'm sort of getting tired and annoyed of it not launching.

Share this comment

I think I just ran into this issue as well on my Windows 10 device.  It took me some time troubleshooting, but I think I've resolved the access error message.  For me it came down to "Ransomeware Protection" settings in Windows Security.  The My Documents folder was set up as a protected folder which limited whether applications could make changes to it (reasonable enough, I suppose).  However, you can allow certain applications to make changes to protected folders (such as ONI so it can update the file).  I did this and the game no longer told me it couldn't access the kplayerprefs.yaml file.

Approximate path to get to Ransomware Protection settings:

Windows Security > Virus & treat protection tab > select "Manage ransomeware protection"

From there you can see Block History which, if you've just tried loading a save file, might display a new access block.  If so, you can allow ONI to pass through from the same screen.

I hope this helps!

Protected folder access blocked message.png

• Big Ups 2

Share this comment