Linux -- Thermal Overlay Colors

KittenIsAGeek
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Fixed

In the linux version, the gas "texture" obscures the thermal overlay colors for the gas.

Screenshot at 2017-11-29 21-25-12.png

Steps to Reproduce
Start a game in Linux. Flip to the thermal overlay (F3). Observe the gas colors.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.
14 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Mine looks fine so might be specific to your drivers or graphics card. What's your spcs?

Are you running Linux? I've got the same phenomenon on my end.

thermal.thumb.jpg.717e3092c97447d2cedc491229be2717.jpg

Debian GNU/Linux "Buster" w/kernel 4.13.0-1-amd64 and NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti using the official driver.

Share this comment

Just now, GuyPerfect said:

Are you running Linux? I've got the same phenomenon on my end.

Sorry forgot to clear that up, Linux Mint 18.3 HWE Kernels (4.10) + Intel Iris 5100

Share this comment

No, I'm using the tested build that came with my distribution: 384.90.  I guess in the morning I'll install the latest and see if that resolves the issue.

Share this comment

Like all good stories, this one started with a broken shader... or something like that.

Yes, it seems the Intel users are not affected if we can judge just by one example. I'm on NVIDIA 1070 GTX, driver v387.34, same on v384.90. The gas areas are not filled with the overlay colors. Here's the Player.log file that contains some interesting info, it might not be related to this exact issue though. I suspect it's about a VR view and stereorendering. Anyway, would be good to have this fixed (it's still not in the Tubular Upgrade preview). I'd be glad to tinker with this as I have some previous experience in fixing shaders like bad clamping or wrong value types (integer instead of expected float) but Unity isn't quite friendly to such modding. I only found a couple of unpackers and they don't work well on Wine.

Player.log

Share this comment

2 hours ago, rkfg said:

I suspect it's about a VR view and stereorendering.

Those shader compile errors are harmless I get those too and I don't notice any effect on the game.

Share this comment

Ok, thanks. Still there should be a platform-specific blend operation that for some reason results in zero on NVIDIA.

Share this comment

We have a potential fix for this in our next build, which is scheduled to be released this Thursday. If you'd like to test it a bit early, you can switch to our preview branch by following the instructions here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/85205-tubular-upgrade-preview-and-holiday-break/ . Please note that if you switch to this branch, your saved games will become unplayable on the released version of the game until it is updated this Thursday. The preview branch is also somewhat slower than the release version of the game as it is a debug build of the game.

Whether you update to the preview branch, or wait for the Thursday update, could you please let us know if you still experience the issue in the new version of the game?

Share this comment

Whoa, it's really fixed on the beta branch, thank you! However, should the overlay affect liquid bumps? It's hard to tell but it doesn't really bother me that much:

2017-12-13_18-58-55.jpg

Edited by rkfg

Share this comment

I tried updating my drivers, but that didn't fix the issue.  However, it appears that build TB-246879 has fixed the problem.  Everything now looks more or less the same between Windows and Linux.

Share this comment