Game wont start in any game version (Win10)

untitled7
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

The game always crashes after the klei logo, barely flashing a frame of a bug report that I never managed to screenshot before it goes away.

This happens with any game version available to me:

• Base Game (live)
  • Base Game (public testing branch)
  • Spaced Out (live)
  • Spaced Out (public testing branch)

I tried:

• restarting Steam
  • restarting the PC
  • deleting all mods
  • run the exe
  • run the exe with steam closed (it will start steam)
  • run the exe as administrator with steam closed (also restarts steam)
  • uninstalling the game and deleting all local files then reinstalling
  • steam in offline mode
  • steam with cloud disabled

I think it's steam related because any player.log I have shows a line like:

[20:53:20.049] [1] [WARNING] Can't init Steam distribution platform...

I'll attach my first player log with all mods and spaced out enabled (the 12kb player.log), and the latest one after having everything fresh (the 4kb player.log)

Steps to Reproduce

start game

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

try play with admin rights

as far i understand init is  for check the Steam user, something is blocking that

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

We're not entirely sure what's happening but the game is unable to connect to Steam so it closes as expected. We haven't been able to reproduce it locally making it difficult to investigate.

Are you running and third part security software that may be blocking it? Firewall, virus protection, malware protection, etc.

What happens if you run Steam as administrator?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

16 hours ago, EricKlei said:

We're not entirely sure what's happening but the game is unable to connect to Steam so it closes as expected. We haven't been able to reproduce it locally making it difficult to investigate.

Are you running and third part security software that may be blocking it? Firewall, virus protection, malware protection, etc.

What happens if you run Steam as administrator?

I'm running Kaspersky Free.
So, I tried starting Steam as Administrator and:

1. run the game from Steam, same issue
  2. deactivate Kaspersky and run from Steam, again same issue
  3. then I went to the game files and tried to start the exe as administrator and it tells me "Fatal Error: Another instance is already running", then closes the game
  4. and repeat no.3 without Kaspersky, again, tells me that another instance is already running and closes out
  5. I repeated 1 to 4 with Windows Firewall deactivated as well (felt really exposed while doing so), but again to no avail

again in the player.log I find

[11:38:26.708] [1] [INFO] Creating SteamManager.
[11:38:26.746] [1] [ERROR] Steam not initialized in time.

I haven't tried for public testing, or spaced out or both, because I think it'd just do the same

attached playerlog is from with windows firewall, without kaspersky, steam in admin, and exe start as admin to show other instance already running.

if I hazard a guess I'd say it tries to start steam but sees it as already running and hence this new error message.

Player.log

Share this comment

Thanks for trying those steps. I don't believe anymore that running as admin will solve this in case others stumble across this thread with a similar issue.

First try placing this steam_appid.txt file in your game directory where OxygenNotIncluded.exe is located and try launching the game from Steam as a normal user.

steam_appid.txt

More troubleshooting steps:

1. When was the last time you were able to run the game?
  2. Have you experienced this with other games?
  3. Are there other Windows accounts on this computer that use Steam? Which user account installed Steam?
  4. Just to confirm, when you say you deleted all local files and reinstalled, you mean the directory where the executable was located?
  5. Are you running the Steam beta? What version are you running? (Help -> About Steam)
  6. Steam has a list of programs that may interfere with Steam. 

The following steps are more involved. Only do so if you feel comfortable.

1. Do you have another computer connected to your same internet you can try installing the game on? I don't think it's a network issue but this might rule it out.
  2. You could try reinstalling Steam. Move the Steamapps folder outside the install directory so you don't need to redownload all your games.
  3. You could try creating a new Windows user account and installing Steam and ONI on it.

@untitled7 @punkhead3225 could you post your DxDiag files?

Edited by EricKlei
Added question about Steam Beta, list of programs which may interfere with Steam

Share this comment

22 minutes ago, EricKlei said:

1. When was the last time you were able to run the game?
  2. Have you experienced this with other games?
  3. Are there other Windows accounts on this computer that use Steam? Which user account installed Steam?
  4. Just to confirm, when you say you deleted all local files and reinstalled, you mean the directory where the executable was located?
  5. Are you running the Steam beta? What version are you running? (Help -> About Steam)
  6. Steam has a list of programs that may interfere with Steam.

1. going on a tangent here, but: I installed Portal Reloaded on May 13th, and I know for certain I played some ONI after I started Portal and before I finished it on May 15th. I'm not certain that I played ONI after I finished Portal since I was rather busy.
  2. no, but I also haven't really had the opportunity to play any games really. They were either non-steam games or in case of Cities Skylines modded so it won't have to load in the steam workshop on startup. Only one steam game that was RPG maker built, so not the most complicated code and no interferance with Steam, I guess
  3. no, this is the only account on the computer
  4. all I could think of,
    1. where the exe is located,
    2. C:\Users\User\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded
    3. C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Klei\Oxygen Not Included
  5. nope, when I click about Steam I get the following, even though I know it updates every other time I start it
    Steam client application
    Built: Oct 23 2020, at 13:30:57
    Steam API: v020
    Steam package versions: local
    https://store.steampowered.com/
  6. I haven't installed any other stuff in that time. maybe a windows update changed the firewall settings? But I already tried disabling the windows firewall.

The steam appid.txt unfortunately didn't help. I'll try going down your other 3 recommendations, I have a fairly good laptop that should be able to run it in general

Share this comment

ok... it also crashed on my laptop.

So it's my networks fault?

here's also the DxDiag.txt of my desktop PC

DxDiag.txt

Edited by untitled7

Share this comment

The last time we made any Steam related changes was in the April 26th update so it's surprising it was working in May and then stopped.

My steam client is more recent:

Steam client application
Built: May 18 2021, at 18:56:20
Steam API: v020
Steam package version: 1621394999
2 minutes ago, untitled7 said:

ok... it also crashed on my laptop.

So it's my networks fault?

I'm not sure this is the case but this is definitely interesting. It could be a coincidence and it seems unlikely to me. Has anything changed recently with it?

Now that you mention it there was a big Windows update recently, 21H1. Are both your computers running this update? Go to your start menu and type "About your PC" and press enter. Under Windows specifications the Version would say 21H1.

Share this comment

desktop is: Edition: Windows 10 Pro; Version: 20H2
laptop is: Edition: Windows 10 Home; Version: 1903

I'll update both

Edited by untitled7

Share this comment

Have you tried 'Verify Integrity of Game Files' after you installed the game again?

Do you recall if you updated from another version of Windows to Windows 10?

The scenarios which Steam says this fails are:

• Steam isn't running.
  • Steam couldn't determine the App ID. This is why I asked you to put steam_appid.txt in your game directory to test.
  • Steam is running under a different user context, such as a different user or administration access level.
  • Your Steam account doesn't own the game. Not the case since you played it before.
  • We didn't configure the app ID properly. Nobody would be able to play then.

Kaspersky could be the issue. When you disabled it did you restart Steam or your computer before you launched the game? You could try uninstalling it and see if that helps.

Actually, I would start by figuring out why your Steam client is from October. That might be causing it since we are using a newer Steamworks SDK and it might not be compatible. What version is your laptop running?

Edited by EricKlei
Added last paragraph
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

6 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Kaspersky could be the issue. When you disabled it did you restart Steam or your computer before you launched the game? You could try uninstalling it and see if that helps.

Have you tested with malwarebytes?

Share this comment

Steam always updated automatically on startup so I didn't think it was a problem, but... it freaking worked.

reinstalling steam did the trick!

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

10 hours ago, untitled7 said:

Steam always updated automatically on startup so I didn't think it was a problem, but... it freaking worked.

reinstalling steam did the trick!

So glad to hear! It also gives hope to others with this issue. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment