Game doesn't start on OSX

nessumo
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Known Issue

It was working fine before the update. After:

850962135_Screenshot2020-11-25at23_14_17.thumb.png.26ca191ba2185ea9b2c3810bcb26b8ea.png

I've tried to run game directly - "The application “OxygenNotIncluded” can’t be opened.", log from this attempt attached.

Steps to Reproduce

Update game

Try to run the game

User Feedback

Changed Status to Known Issue

I've added a comment to the patch notes, but we've noticed that sometimes MacOS users have problems when switching off of a Steam branch, which is happening more often for some reason this time.

The solution is to uninstall and reinstall the game from steam.

Thanks for reporting this!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I'm having the same issue. I uninstalled ONI from Steam, restarted my computer, then reinstalled. While the error message no longer appears, the game just sits on the loading page, times out, and I'm returned to Steam. It doesn't fully launch the game. Any thoughts?

Share this comment

I had this same error. When I went to Console, the error was that unity failed to find "<steam root>/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/MacOS/OxygenNotIncluded"

When I looked in this directory, the name of the unix executable was "MacOS/Oxygen\ Not\ Included" - that is, it had spaces in the filename.

I did a simple (sudo) mv on the file to remove the spaces, and the application then launched; no reinstall was necessary.  More specifically - I launched it once and it appeared to crash, but launching it a second time worked with no issues.

EDIT: well the game launched, but when I attempted to load a save, I got the black hole error screen.  The error is:

FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "<user>/Library/Application Support/unity.Klei.Oxygen Not Included/save_files/Starving Committee.sav"

Interestingly, this file used to exist, but apparently was moved by the migration process.  I had made a save of it, and my previous save seems to have worked.  I see the migration moved the data to a subfolder of save_files, but the app seems to still be looking in the previous location...

SECOND EDIT: After the crash, when I restarted, it found the file at the new location. Took a little longer than I expected to load, but all appears to be working.

Edited by McTraveller
  • Big Ups 2

Share this comment

I have a same issue, then I decided to update OS version to 11.0.1 
Now I can open the game but can't access to the main menu 

ภาพถ่ายหน้าจอ 2563-11-26 เวลา 18.12.18.png

Share this comment

Hi, if you're experiencing the issues described in the original bug description, even after reinstalling via Steam, please try the workarounds described in this thread. 

If those workarounds do not work for you, let us know on this thread. If you are experiencing a different macOS issue from the original bug, please create a new bug. We'd like to keep this pinned bug focused on the original issue for Mac users browsing the forums. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I had this happen to me. I resolved the problem by uninstalling the game and re-installing. I did it via the Steam interface by right clicking on the game and choosing manage - uninstall. 

Hope it helps.

Share this comment

23 hours ago, McTraveller said:

I had this same error. When I went to Console, the error was that unity failed to find "<steam root>/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/MacOS/OxygenNotIncluded"

When I looked in this directory, the name of the unix executable was "MacOS/Oxygen\ Not\ Included" - that is, it had spaces in the filename.

I did a simple (sudo) mv on the file to remove the spaces, and the application then launched; no reinstall was necessary.  More specifically - I launched it once and it appeared to crash, but launching it a second time worked with no issues.

I did a soft link from the new file to the old name and it all works fine now. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, skye525 said:

I had this happen to me. I resolved the problem by uninstalling the game and re-installing. I did it via the Steam interface by right clicking on the game and choosing manage - uninstall. 

Hope it helps.

didn't work for me. Its now 9PM Eastern on 11/26

• Like 1

Share this comment

16 hours ago, zombieJ said:

Reinstall not help! Pls help to roll back the patch.

Resolved by delete game folder directly and reinstalled.

Share this comment

On 11/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, lemmethink said:

I did a soft link from the new file to the old name and it all works fine now. Thank you!!

Soft link worked for me.

Share this comment

On 11/26/2020 at 4:53 AM, McTraveller said:

EDIT: well the game launched, but when I attempted to load a save, I got the black hole error screen.  The error is:

Interestingly, this file used to exist, but apparently was moved by the migration process.  I had made a save of it, and my previous save seems to have worked.  I see the migration moved the data to a subfolder of save_files, but the app seems to still be looking in the previous location...

SECOND EDIT: After the crash, when I restarted, it found the file at the new location. Took a little longer than I expected to load, but all appears to be working.

I had the same problem after update. 

I deleted spaces in file name: "/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/MacOS/Oxygen Not Included".

And when I changed file name to: "/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/MacOS/OxygenNotIncluded" it starts work well.

So, it helps me!

Share this comment