Game Breaking Heat transfer

NanoD
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

Insulating materials transfer heat exceptionally fast. 

Cold from cold biom leaking throw abssyalite to hot biom and cooling it down at a alarming pace. And in lava biom the oil biom is heating up fast only after 3 cycles some places it is 200 C.

Steps to Reproduce
Just let the game run.

User Feedback

This is not a bug, but it IS a very poor game development choice.

Previously, players relied on biomes maintaining their separation before discovery, allowing players to add and remove material and heat, and the consequences from doing so coming as expected. Now nearly every biome is compromised before even digging into it. Hot biomes are 20-30oC, and everything is dead and stifled from too cold. Ice biomes are half melted and always flooded with pH20. When I dug down to the oil biome around cycle 200, it was 200oC in most places, making wrangling slicksters impossible, and some spots near the lava had boiled off into NG and petroleum.

With the average heat transfer between tiles and pipes, I can no longer afford to use volcanos as they bake everything within 50 tiles, even with multiple layers of insulation. Say goodbye to my experiments on cooling gold volcanos and oil cooking.

Lastly, farms that require specific water temperatures are nearly impossible without exploits, because even my cool steam geyser water piped through insulated abyssalite will warm up the entire base, the cold biomes it passes through, and kill the farms.

Share this comment

And I think that this is a bug because the heat-insulated absolute heated the base. And in my opinion, the developers were slapping the correct heat transfer.

Share this comment

Its not a bug.  They changed thermal transfer to use the average of conductivities rather than the lowest.  So insulated walls, pipes, etc, or abyssalite structures will now conduct heat if touching something with a higher conductivity. 

Share this comment

33 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Its not a bug.  They changed thermal transfer to use the average of conductivities rather than the lowest.  So insulated walls, pipes, etc, or abyssalite structures will now conduct heat if touching something with a higher conductivity. 

It's a bug if the devs made a change intending one thing and something else happened instead. I believe that is a perfect example of what's happening here.

That being said, I have no idea what the devs intended here. Regardless, a material with practically 0 thermal conductivity should not conduct noticeable heat. Period.

Edited by Ambaire

Share this comment