Circuits outside transformers always marked as strained

lostminds
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Fixed

5d4f074b7d690_Screenshot2019-08-10at20_03_16.thumb.jpg.9c23272fa1e1330170fa877fc9c1fef5.jpg

There seems to be a problem with wire circuits behind transformers and the "strained" yellow status in the electricity overlay. It seems that regardless of power supply and demand circuits "behind" transformers are always marked as strained when powered.

As I understand it the strained status is supposed to indicate a circuit has more power demand than what is supplied to it, basically telling the player they need to add more generators. This works fine when you're starting out with a simple single circuit with the same wire and everything connected to it. But the "strained" status only seems to take into account batteries and generators, not transformers. So at least in my experience circuits that are isolated from the generators and batteries by a transformer are always shown as strained. If this is by design it's confusing as the "strained" status now doesn't tell the player anything useful about the "outer" circuits beyond transformers, and may even incorrectly make the player believe there's a power shortage.

On a related note, the "strained" status could also be a little confusing to players as there are two different types of strain on electrical wiring in the game it could refer to. Both the power supply deficit it now indicates (supply strain), and the overload strain of having a peak wattage that is over the maximum allowed wattage for the cable type. While the supply strain is now indicated (only incorrectly for circuits beyond transformers) the overload strain is not indicated at all as far as I can tell (until something overloads). And for circuits outside the transformers I'd say that the overload strain is usually more relevant to the player (to tell them they need to change cables or rewire things to more separate circuits). So perhaps it would be a good idea to try and indicate both these types of strain separately in the electrical overlay in some way?

As an illustration, when I started understanding the wires had a wattage limit I immediately thought this was what the "strained" status referred too. When I then understood it related to supply and demand I was already solving the overload problem with transformers, which then as described above made the strained status confusing again as all circuits outside the transformers were marked as strained.

Steps to Reproduce
Connect a wired circuit to something that consumes power to a generator/battery via a transformer.
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

strained only means its more power consumed than produced in the circuit. White means there is more power than consumers. 

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Cool, thanks for the feedback on that! You're right, it is odd that they would show as strained behind a well-supplied transformer. Also thanks for highlighting the confusing terminology. We'll see if that can be improved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

Changed Note: to These wire statuses have been revised for a future release - Thanks for the feedback!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment