1 Steam Turbine to transformer overloads conductive wire

Speadge
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hi,

after building my steam Powerplant for days, i now have to watch all my used wires are getting overloaded by just one machine/circuit.

the load display says its ~2000W , but it flickers - a bit up and down, around 40w+-.

I think the fluctuatioon (especially the + amount) should not cause a wire overload. So i.e. make a puffer for ~5 seconds when its less than 5% over the maximum... please

Steps to Reproduce
build steam turbine - connect it to a transformer input - connect some batteries with heavy-watt cable on the output side - charge the batteries
  • Like 2

User Feedback

after some digging i found the culprit:

i have some auto-doors on the circuit of the steam turbine - all of them connecting to a transformer.

checking the interface, it says the power used by the transformer is decreased by the amound of power used by the doors. My observation is, that this decreasing happens shifted for some ups, so that for some (milli)seconds the amount of power on the circuit exceeds the 2kw until the power for the transformer becomes decreased.

short: the transformer uses a dynamic amount of power, that is calculated some frames delayed. it doesnt use the power that is left on a cicuit, but the power that WAS left some frames ago.

so when a door becomes activated while a transformer uses 2kw, he door pushes the circuit to 2.12kw, until the calculation for the transformer becomes updated and it uses just 1.88kw.

since the steam turbine cant deliver > 2kw, its clearly a bug - but dont ask me how to prevent it :D

Clipboarder.2018.06.27.png

add-on:

i built a system which shuts off the door mechanism 2 seconds before the transformer turns on.
so i made sure, that there is no moment where the demand can be higher than 2kw - and it even works..

anyhow: the wire still overload with exactly 2kw demand...

Clipboarder.2018.06.27-002.png

Edited by Speadge

Share this comment

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

Use heavy-watt conductive wires.

thats no solution - its a workaround... The problem will still exist.
there are reasons to NOT use heavy-watt wires.

Share this comment

Hi. Are there any batteries on the input side of the transformer? If not, then this is strange as just a turbine should not overload the conductive wire. Upload your save file and maybe someone on the forum can help debug it further. :) 

Share this comment

19 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Hi. Are there any batteries on the input side of the transformer?

no, there are no batteries on the input side.

If not, then this is strange as just a turbine should not overload the conductive wire.

guess why i created this thread ;)

Upload your save file and maybe someone on the forum can help debug it further. :)

Dwelling.sav

Edited by Speadge
  • Like 1

Share this comment

any feedback on that? reproducable?

cant figure out how to set up a steam engine with (non-heavy)conductive wires.

Share this comment

Yeah, I loaded your save and I see the conductive wire overloading as well. I even created a steam turbine on my own game and connected it only to a transformer, and it still overloaded. I'd be curious if this was "overload if greater than or equal to 2kw".

As for constructing with heavi wire (either one), it looks like you can run the heavi wire through the steam turbine. Unfortunately you cannot run through doors, so you would have to modify your build a little.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Yeah, I loaded your save and I see the conductive wire overloading as well. I even created a steam turbine on my own game and connected it only to a transformer, and it still overloaded. I'd be curious if this was "overload if greater than or equal to 2kw".

As for constructing with heavi wire (either one), it looks like you can run the heavi wire through the steam turbine. Unfortunately you cannot run through doors, so you would have to modify your build a little.

hi,

thanks for verifying. I think there should be a buffer for the overload value of 2%-5%.
i rebuilt it already with heavy wires, but its ugly now :D - but as i stated, thats doesnt fix the bug, since the wires note says they can stand 2kw.

Share this comment

This issue is still affecting the game. I initially connected my steam turbine to two small transformers, and saw no problems.  However, I then connected my steam turbine to a single larger transformer, and instantly the wire overloaded. The damage occurs whether the other side of the large transformer has batteries or not, whether the power needs are >2kW or <2kW.  It seems to be an issue with the large transformer (everything works fine with two small transformers).

5bee5455524e8_Screenshotfrom2018-11-1522-22-31.png.cc5455ac82446d1e947825851ba949a3.png 

Edited by mathmanican
  • Like 1

Share this comment

This is still an issue with the current launched version. Admittedly a different situation, slightly, but:

I've got three steam turbines charging batteries. They're on the input side of two small transformers (total 2000 watts load from the transformers, should be fine for conductive wire). It's my understanding that only the load contributes to breaking wires. The small transformers go to a system of batteries that run aquatuners, but the aquatuners should never (or only for a tick depending on nuance of automation circuits) be connected. It's batteries charging batteries basically. Yet since setting this up, the conductive wire bridges on the line from the generators are being damaged. This is super frustrating, and it's not really necessary or desired to run heavy wire for this localized power station.

I think the attached save shows it, or it's close. the power station in question is just up and right frEndgame Cycle 1973.savom the origin. I'll come back and edit attachments if it's not when I check it later. It takes too long to load/reload to check right now.

Share this comment