Progress reset - compendium wiped (Switch)

Kizzm0
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hi

There is a serious issue on the Nintendo Switch version and i dont know how this was missed during testing?

Played two runs yesterday for ~4 hours. Unlocked a character, cards , perks, Mettle, flourishes. You name it.

Saved the game and closed it. Started the game this morning and the compendium is wiped. When i start a new game perks are gone, mettles are gone. Everything'ish is gone.

Im saying ish because unlocked cards actually pops up in the new run. Game thinks its your first playthrough again since it asks for tutorials. Run history can see my previous runs. When i start a new game it gives me pop ups with all the perks points i earned in previous runs (kill a boss/ do x amount of dmg /earn x amount of money) etc. 

I have reinstalled the game. I have Hard rebooted My switch and tried a new run. Saved, restarted the game and the problem still exists..

System version: 12.0.2

Game version: 1.0.0

Steps to Reproduce

Exit the game - start the game.

• Like 6

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.
5 minutes ago, DoD1992 said:

Do we know any specific date the patch will go live? Would be nice to know if we have to wait a week or more.

We unfortunately do not have an accurate ETA, we hope at most a couple of days. This is generally the case once submitted. 

It's challenging for us to forecast patch ETA on console once submitted. Unlike Steam where we can just push updates live ourselves, on all consoles there are additional internal cert processes and approvals for any updates making it unpredictable to even us. But this is definitely a high priority issue for us and we'll try to do what we can to get a patch out ASAP. Thank you for your patience and to everyone who reported so our port partners could address this, and apologies again for anyone impacted by this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

On 6/8/2021 at 8:50 PM, Bunkhead said:

I am having the same issue. My switch reset to apply an update, and now my progress has been reset.

A couple things I noticed:

It said I had a run in progress, but the option to continue wasn't on the main screen like before. It was in Sal's menu.

The daily run is greyed out.

All 6 of my runs say that they are from January of 1970.

I was hoping that I could play this game, but I guess I will have to wait for a patch :wilson_cry:.

I don’t know if it was a coincidence, but also in my case the issue started after the last switch firmware update

Share this comment

11 hours ago, yolo21 said:

I'm not sure if the "toxic" comments were directed at me, but I fail to see how asking for a status update or a refund or literally ANY FORM OF COMMUNICATION about what is being done about this is being "mean and toxic to the devs". Klei has released an unplayable game and has robbed hundreds if not thousands of Switch owners out of money and is now leaving us out here to dry without any followup.

My posts are not meant to offend or cause harm but rather to bring attention to this MASSIVE issue that shouldn't have ever happened.

If you really mean that you do not want to offend, maybe consider not accusing people of stealing money. They did communicate that they were looking into it, and they also communicated when they found the solution to the problem.

Edited by Dengar
  • Like 1

Share this comment

On 6/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, Corey said:

Changed Status to Fixed

Hey everyone, thank you for the reports, and apologies if this happened to you. This issue seems to be caused when the game attempts to save your profile (total player progress, not an individual save) and the new profile data is smaller than the existing profile. Just wanted to confirm that this is a Switch specific issue and our porting partners have managed to reproduce and fix this issue. It will be coming in a future patch that we are in the process of getting approved by Nintendo to release.

Will the previous runs go through or will it be like one final reset?

Share this comment

6 minutes ago, HunterM97 said:

Will the previous runs go through or will it be like one final reset?

I'm nobody official, but the description of the issue makes it sound like the saves were deleted, so this'd be a final reset. Just a guess, though!

Share this comment

31 minutes ago, ChewTerr said:

I'm nobody official, but the description of the issue makes it sound like the saves were deleted, so this'd be a final reset. Just a guess, though!

Well I might as well start speedrunning Sal runs then haha it is upsetting to lose the save but the game is fun enough that I just do keep doing the 0% runs with Sal.

Share this comment

11 minutes ago, HunterM97 said:

Well I might as well start speedrunning Sal runs then haha it is upsetting to lose the save but the game is fun enough that I just do keep doing the 0% runs with Sal.

Yeah, my "first run" win percentage has definitely improved! Great game. =D

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Sirhugs said:

Still not fixed, doesn't feel very ASAP for basically an unplayable game on Switch.

I know reading is hard, but take a look here:

On 6/9/2021 at 9:52 PM, Corey said:

We unfortunately do not have an accurate ETA, we hope at most a couple of days. This is generally the case once submitted. 

It's challenging for us to forecast patch ETA on console once submitted. Unlike Steam where we can just push updates live ourselves, on all consoles there are additional internal cert processes and approvals for any updates making it unpredictable to even us. But this is definitely a high priority issue for us and we'll try to do what we can to get a patch out ASAP. Thank you for your patience and to everyone who reported so our port partners could address this, and apologies again for anyone impacted by this.

Getting any updates on a console platform need to go through the provider (in this case Nintendo) and it will always take a long time.

Have patience, the update will get there.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I get that mate, and not being impatient. Just saying it is unplayable, so people can still buy an unplayable game. Seems slightly unfair to me

Share this comment

Still not fixed.... Which is part of a larger issue. This game has been unplayable for a week now on switch. People are still buying it and having issues. This is not cool, and obviously not a priority.

Edited by Sirhugs
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this comment

I agree. It's really hard to give Klei the benefit of the doubt here knowing that they are still profiting off of sales of known broken copies. At least take it off for purchase until Nintendo distributes the patch! Or a note at the top saying it's unplayable until the forthcoming Nintendo patch is shipped. 

The fact that this is clearly not a priority for anyone on Klei OR Nintendo's side is really troubling. Customers are sick of being jerked around with their hard earned money and while Klei took the steps to get the update in, they have been poor with communicating back to us on the progress or what they are doing to pressure Nintendo to do right by their customers.

Edited by yolo21

Share this comment

On 6/13/2021 at 12:31 PM, DoD1992 said:

I know reading is hard, but take a look here:

Getting any updates on a console platform need to go through the provider (in this case Nintendo) and it will always take a long time.

Have patience, the update will get there.

"at most a couple of days" is now a week+, with no further communication. As someone who purchased this game after the issue was known, and played the game for some time before the issue destroyed my progress, I can't say I'm a happy customer. It's definitely making me reconsider purchasing other Klei games.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't give developers any options here. They can't take a game down any easier than getting a patch through, and Nintendo doesn't allow quicker patches for emergencies like this one. It's unfortunate such a major bug didn't get caught, but they did fix it very quickly and it's now out of their hands. Console certification processes suck.

Edited by Kitsunin
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Nothing you said excuses the lack of communication around it or any of the other myriad of options they can do for the people that are left out to dry without their hard-earned money. They could give us coupon codes for free Steam downloads so we can play while we wait. They can think of something to smooth over this AWFUL experience of buying a game and not being able to play it for almost 2 weeks. Yes, they patched it quick, but that is only fulfilling their responsibility to the customer partially.

Share this comment

On 6/11/2021 at 10:11 PM, ChewTerr said:

Would really appreciate an official Dev response on this. I'd like to just keep playing without closing the game, but won't bother if it will all just get wiped by the patch. Is there any way to avoid this? Cloud saves?

Share this comment

I mean, what do they have to say? They were very quick to make and submit a fix, but Nintendo never tells devs squat, and when you have no info, there's no info to share. I do agree that giving codes really should be expected, but I also fully blame Nintendo for this. It's been my experience that whenever a bugfix is an emergency, Nintendo decides to make the cert process take an extra week or two.

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment

16 minutes ago, Kitsunin said:

I mean, what do they have to say? They were very quick to make and submit a fix, but Nintendo never tells devs squat, and when you have no info, there's no info to share. I do agree that giving codes really should be expected, but I also fully blame Nintendo for this. It's been my experience that whenever a bugfix is an emergency, Nintendo decides to make the cert process take an extra week or two.

. . . "It's taking us longer than expected to get the fix approved, but it is still in the works"? When you've overshot your estimated timeline (and it's now almost four times the estimate), provide some kind of update, even if there's not much to share? It's pretty bare minimum customer service, really.

Also provide an update via e-mail or some other form of communication, so you don't have to track down some forum thread to find out what's going on. And warn new purchasers (like me) that the game is essentially unplayable right now, because putting hours into the game only to have all progress wiped, and to to find out that the developer knew about it and didn't bother to tell you, is pretty annoying, really.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

I mean, they literally have no information. I've messaged with devs who've had this happen to them before. Nintendo puts you completely in the dark, and when the patch goes live it's a surprise. The stupid thing is that the cert process really does usually only take two days, but sometimes Nintendo does, well, this, with no warning or communication.

Share this comment

10 minutes ago, Kitsunin said:

I mean, they literally have no information. I've messaged with devs who've had this happen to them before. Nintendo puts you completely in the dark, and when the patch goes live it's a surprise. The stupid thing is that the cert process really does usually only take two days, but sometimes Nintendo does, well, this, with no warning or communication.

Yeah, not denying that. Doesn't excuse the lack of communication at all, though, or really respond to any of the points I made above.

• Like 1

Share this comment

The amount of people defending the developer for treating their customers as their Quality Assurance/Control team is amazing. Nobody is denying Nintendo shares blame, but let's not forget it was on Klei and Klei alone to ensure their product launched without such a severe problem as we have here. Nintendo's absurd turnaround process on a patch wouldn't have mattered had Klei bothered to test something as simple as turning the game off and on again before shipping it to Nintendo.

We're now at the point where there will be no response from the developer that would satisfy me. Klei has proven without a doubt that they truly do not care about their customers once they've got their money. Regardless of whether the patch drops now or another week from now, I will be certain to never purchase another Klei product again, and I will be telling everyone I can to avoid their awful practices by boycotting their products as well.

Share this comment

I agree that they ****** up big time and that this whole situation is not okay at all. That it is weird that a simple bug like this somehow got through testing.

But at the same time, what is done is done, they have done the fix on their end, and no amount of complaining is going to get us the patch faster.

If you dislike the devs so much at this point, then why are you still here? Go out there and play the other billions of games there exist xD
That is what I am doing while I wait for the update.

Share this comment

It's not about getting the patch faster. It's about Klei doing right by their customers. Simple as that. We paid money for a game that isn't playable, and it's their fault, period. They haven't communicated or put warnings or given out codes or made any semblance of an effort on behalf of all the people supporting this game financially without being able to enjoy it.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, DoD1992 said:

I agree that they ****** up big time and that this whole situation is not okay at all. That it is weird that a simple bug like this somehow got through testing.

But at the same time, what is done is done, they have done the fix on their end, and no amount of complaining is going to get us the patch faster.

If you dislike the devs so much at this point, then why are you still here? Go out there and play the other billions of games there exist xD
That is what I am doing while I wait for the update.

Part of the issue for me is that it's not a case of "what is done is done"--they're still selling the game, with no warning that it's essentially unplayable. Which leads to people (like me) putting hours into the game only to have all progress wiped, and having to track down forum posts to find out (1) that it's an issue, and (2) that Klei knew about it all along and didn't communicate to purchasers that all of the time they put into the game would be wasted. It's an awful way to treat their customers, and I'm not sure I could see my way to purchasing another Klei product after this.

Edited by GredHred

Share this comment

I guess the reason I'm not terribly mad at Klei is because this happens a lot with indie games being launched or patched on Switch. Maybe there's something wrong with the Switch QA tools? Or I've heard it's just simply a lot harder to port games to Switch from PC vs. PS4/XBOX. Damn near half the indie games I buy on Switch are broken at first. Usually it doesn't blow up like this because Nintendo handles the cert process quickly.

I'm just happy the performance is good, because I've seen a handful of games launch with bugs or terrible FPS that never got fixed.

Edited by Kitsunin

Share this comment