Serious fps drops after day 30 with the glowfly cycle

FreyaMaluk
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

This cycle really needs a serious rebalance. 

I've been hitting 30 and also 14 fps with a wave of 100+ bettles...

the game cannot handle the amount of rabbit bettles it's generating. Pls rework the mechanic.. unless u uncover all zones on speedrunning before day 20, the game gets extremely heavy to handle after day 30 with the glowfly cycle. My computer runs Wicher 3 on ultra with 60fps.. and this game struggles to keep 30 fps with so many entities.

Pls bring massive optimization to DS too when many entities get spawned. The game really needs it.

Steps to Reproduce
go to the jungle past day 35+. get 40-100+ rabbit bettles. get annoyed by 14 fps experience
  • Like 1

User Feedback

4 hours ago, Computer-7 said:

20181209195058_1.thumb.jpg.66e28d0c8c03d59702a889c705b971e5.jpg

this is around 1% of how many beetles I fought during this season

it gets completely ridiculous how fast they can overtake the world due to disproportionate growth.. they can even completely kill off grown and mature spider monkeys and snaptooth packs in one single area. Spiders don't come even close to the level of brutal expansion rabbid bettles have, specially cuz rabbid bettles don't have a latent cycle where they "sleep" and regroup like spiders do. Moreover, u cannot even see what is happening cuz the fps drop to incredible levels. In my experience, I didn't even see such a strong fps dropping even in SW with monkey farms and loosen particles tbh.

IMO the DLC is currently not balanced for late game or base building.... the lag is unbearable after day 45+. 

I discovered a method to control them with the Bug B'Gone, but even so I think their spawn numbers need tweeking 

Edited by FreyaMaluk

Share this comment

1 minute ago, bizziboi said:

Did you upload a profile as outlined here?

IMO it affects more than just performance.. scroll up pls

Share this comment

I am aware - I read it, but performance drop is a problem, regardless of whether the beetles get re-balanced, which is a discussion to be had as well.

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

I am aware - I read it, but performance drop is a problem, regardless of whether the beetles get re-balanced, which is a discussion to be had as well.

ive just reported following the instructions.. I hope it helps :)

maybe it's the time the frames dropping issue tbh... it's not just about hamlet... it's a persistent problem across all Vanilla and DLCs.

many people don't play ds that much exactly due to performance problems with megabase worlds.

I understand the priority is to review hamlet issues, but I think this issue is embedded in the core code of the game.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

43 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I understand the priority is to review hamlet issues, but I think this issue is embedded in the core code of the game.

Some optimizations may give me insights, some may transfer easily or directly to Vanilla, others would be purely Hamlet. Can't promise anything, but your voice is heard. Feel free to submit perf reports for badly performing Vanilla/ROG.SW builds - Hamlet had a few issues that were really bad, so that's why the thread is there, but I'm interested in low perf situations across the board.

But to an extent you are right about it being integral to the engine, the high moddability because of 99% Lua does come at a performance cost for sure, but that doesn't mean we can't try improving it - when DST was originally created performance was much, much worse than it is now, but it took time and work for sure.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

4 hours ago, bizziboi said:

when DST was originally created performance was much, much worse than it is now, but it took time and work for sure.

you hit exactly the point I was making... optimization is way way better in dst for late game and megabasing... I hope sp can get there for megabasing too.

Share this comment