Mod Config Options not saving/enabling for servers since update

beowulf3
  • Pending

Hello,

I just recently purchased DST during the Steam sale. I played a bit, got the hang of it, then decided to scan the workshop for mods that would ease the learning curve. These mods and their configurations settings worked fine until this latest update that forces launching a server in the background. Simplest mod config not saving or applying I can reproduce is for "More Storage v2 fixed" on the workshop, located here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601091520

This issue was not present on the previous version of the game. It just recently started happening since the latest update that made caves playable without a dedicated server.

If this is an issue with the mod, or the way I am configuring/launching the server, please inform me of the correct way to apply these changes.

Attached are the server_log files located at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_5\Caves and Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_5\Master

Please let me know if you need any additional information or log files to diagnose this issue.

server_log.txt

server_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce
Steps to reproduce: 1) Start game, hit play, select host game 2) Using a new slot (Using slot 5 for example), select cooperative, set to local only 3) Under the mods tab, enable "More Storage v2 fixed" 4) Configure the mod to add additional slots to the backpack (set to 18), hit apply 5) Hit generate world, allow it to load into the game 6) Select a character, and enter the world 7) Give yourself a backpack using console commands (I use a mod, "Too Many Items" to spawn one at my feet) 8) Grab and equip the backpack, noting that the storage is not increased 9) Disconnect from the server, hit Play once again, Host Game, Select the slot you just created and modified 10) Under the mods tab, locate "More Storage v2 fixed" and select configure 11) Note that the configuration options did not apply/save
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Hey,

I have solved this issue by modifying the default settings of the mod within the "modinfo.lua" located at:

Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods\workshop-601091520

Any line with "default =" should be changed to the setting you desire.

Since the servers were loading the mods, just not anything other than the default settings, I made the changes here. This is most likely an incorrect approach to solving this issue.

Scanning log files from the servers that experienced this issue, I focused on this line:

[00:00:00]: Could not load mod_config_data/modconfiguration_workshop-601091520_CLIENT

I located this directory at:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_3\Master\save\mod_config_data

And found it empty. Is something supposed to be here?

I also noticed there was a file called "modoverrides.lua" located here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_3\Master

and 

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_3\Caves

It seems to contain all of the settings that could be configured across all active mods on the server, but within the logs, its only:

[00:00:00]: modoverrides.lua enabling workshop-601091520

I have no idea how to solve this other than the default setting method. Please enlighten me.

Share this comment

Your workaround will work for you as long you don't update your mods. However, I don't think your values will apply to other people playing on your server.

Setting values of mod options in modoverrides.lua is the proper way of doing it, unfortunately, there seems to be a bug somewhere currently, as you've reported. Hopefully devs will look at this on Monday.

Edited by Muche

Share this comment

People say that even old stable simple mods (Health Info, Mineable Gems) can't save their settings. It's important issue.

Share this comment

Run into it too, while trying to add config options to my own mod. As I see the situation, it happens like this:

1. You configure the mods in the game UI, and it works.

2. The settings are saved into modoverrides.lua, no errors on this step either.

3. You launch the server, and it reads modoverrides.lua and creates local configs in mod_config_data. The files are created, I saw them.

4. When it tries to read the files, it doesnt work. The function TheSim:GetPersistentString returns false for whatever reason.

5. When no configuration file is available, the default config for mods is used instead.

Share this comment

I think I've found the reason.

3 hours ago, Morse said:

2. The settings are saved into modoverrides.lua, no errors on this step either.

The structure of the produced modoverrides.lua is incorrect, it uses config_data, but configuration_options is expected.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Muche said:

I think I've found the reason.

The structure of the produced modoverrides.lua is incorrect, it uses config_data, but configuration_options is expected.

Yep, confirmed. After I changed config_data to configuration_options and marked files read-only so that the game doesn't rewrite it, the server started with all the mods configured correctly.

Share this comment