Grass geckos are unreliable source of grass in caves

shadowDigga
  • Pending

...as they can and definitely will go extinct because of earthquakes. Either remove the chance of replanted grass tufts to turn into grass geckos or give them natural heath regen. This is unbearable.

Steps to Reproduce
obvious from the description

User Feedback

This is not a bug!

If you are living in caves you either need to maintain a grass farm above ground or replant your grass every 25 days. Grass gekkos only start spawning after a grass tuft has been planted for more than 25 days. 

Please don't abuse the bug tracker. There is separate a forum for suggestions.

• Like 1

Share this comment

It still seems like an oversight, given things with health that are useful to players tend to have earthquake immunity (like walls) or health regen (like catapults). Grass gekkos have neither, and it's not like the game needs any more reasons not to base in the caves.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

5 hours ago, L. Ringmaster said:

This is not a bug!

If you are living in caves you either need to maintain a grass farm above ground or replant your grass every 25 days. Grass gekkos only start spawning after a grass tuft has been planted for more than 25 days. 

Please don't abuse the bug tracker. There is separate a forum for suggestions.

Do you like to play moderator here? Here's an example of similar not-a-bug which - whoops - has been fixed and not closed. Check it out!

Share this comment

Just because the devs "fixed" one suggestion in the bug tracker doesn't mean all suggestions belong in the bug tracker.

Do you think the suggestion forum is a less apt place for suggestions?

Share this comment

It's not a suggestion. It's a major oversight in the game design. Just because I provided one example doesn't mean it's the only instance of people reporting oversights in the bug tracker. If you think otherwise - go on and report it to the moderator, but don't play one yourself please.

Share this comment

At the core of the issue, this would fall under the "game balance" conversation (as mentioned would've been a great discussion for the Feedback specific forum), on whether or not things should be the way they are.

"Should Grass Gekkos be reworked for reliability in cave bases?" or such or any title you see fit.

That said, the Bug Tracker is the best tool for the devs to catalog and go through game bugs and issues. And I also see the concern of a server being doomed to eventually become uninhabitable if grass gekkos die off and go extinct taking all the grass sources with it. So I do see that side of the issue.

Ultimately, it would be up to the devs on what to do and if enough people are voicing their concerns for the game then all the better. Now I can't guarantee any changes to be made since I'm only a forum moderator. The rest of the balancing discussion is up to the community to make which is where the Suggestions and Feedback subforum comes in. After that it's up to the devs whether changes should be made.

For now we can keep this as is and let the devs decide what to do about it when they get to it and in the mean time you could start a discussion over at the Feedback subforum and attach a link to that thread here so it'll be easier for the devs to find the concerns and discussions made about the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

14 hours ago, Electroely said:

given things with health that are useful to players tend to have earthquake immunity (like walls) or health regen (like catapults). Grass gekkos have neither,

Hm, I always thought in implementatiom, the Earthquake immunity was for stuff that could be considered to be structures or like a structure.

Example being Slurtle Mounds, which is like a structure (with health) but are immune to Earthquake damage.

Having said that, I'm in support of having this being here, even though I don't think Geckos should get Earthquake immunity since they are mobs, not structures (or like structures).

There are bugs that are straight up bugs (ex. 0,0 bugs, mispelling, unanticapted changes in behavior b/c of a bugfix, long-standing bugs/behavior that are now being fixed, etc.) and there are stuff like this where it can be considered to be an oversight of sorts, but not like those clear-cut bugs where it can go either here or the suggestions forums, I feel. (I say this as a person that's been highly active in the bug tracker for close to a year now as well.)

Also, in my honest opinion, I really think the suggestions forums for DST is where feedback generally goes to die (for a variety of reasons, some not related to the bug tracker, which I won't get into), so for stuff that is something like this, I think its probably better off if its here.

Edited by lakhnish
Spelling; bluntness on suggestions forum

Share this comment