creatures going through structures/wall.

SirchristopherI
  • Pending

I talked about this bug in the forum and decided to post here.
Due to the optimization of the game, the structures disappear before the creatures, making the mobs keep walking where they "shouldn't" causing bug where creatures float between the walls or worse causing them to come outside. This happens if you are using statues, end table, friendly scarecrow and lureplant. being more important as statues and end tables because they are the hearts of many farms.

my idea to improve this would be to increase the distance to "despawn" statues/endtable or to decrease the distance to "despawn" creatures. just a little so that it doesn't affect game optimization.

video for better understanding  

Steps to Reproduce
Optimizing the game causes structures to disappear first from creatures. The bug happens depending on distance from player to base or farm.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

1 hour ago, Hell-met said:

perhaps chess pieces aren't meant to be used as walls?

Yes, they weren't meant to be walls at first, but over time most players started using them as a wall, because in addition to decorating you can make farms, a zoo or something new.
just like ice flingo that wasn't meant to freeze bosses / firefarm
abigail flower to make sanity station and other items.

But the main thing here is that the statues bar the creatures, but they pass through them later as if there was nothing there

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this comment

I really enjoy creating farms and arenas that use these kinds of structures, but this problem is very annoying, so if the creature can't pass, it shouldn't pass at all.

• Like 3

Share this comment

Its a loading problem, structures and "creature type" entities that can move around in the world are treated differently from each other (this is why beeboxes produce honey as a set rate if your too far from them, they still "exist" but the bees that live in them "don't").

The statues are treated more like creatures than like structures. I don't know all the details of how its works code side but the problem your experiencing is not a bug the way a glitch is a bug, its a consequence of how Klei has decided to handle loading and unloading certain types of things in the game.

Ditto on lureplants, Being treated as a "creature" is actually what makes lure-plants so OVERPOWERED in certain bossfights.

I'm not 100 percent sure a bout the marble trees signs or end tables but end tables and marble trees will change state over time without external input (trees just moving thorough growth cycles, and end tables if they have something in them)

Also most structures that are not walls (as well as creatures) have  collision zones that don't mesh as nicely as walls do the problem with any actual structures might have to do with the doubly messy collision boxes of the creatures your trying to contain and the things your containing them with loading in and out and perhaps clipping into one another in the process.

Edited by Szling
add information and a tad of speculation
  • Like 1

Share this comment

In short, walls stay functionally active as a wall off screen while structures do not.

It makes no sense to me that mobs are able to move past structures that they otherwise could not move past if it had been loaded on the screen. It looks to me like this would be easily fixed if all structures became registered and unregistered the length of maybe just one pitchfork tile longer - it just has to be longer than the distance of the mob.

What seems like such a nitpick bug actually causes enormous problems for those who are interested in making elaborate bases with working farms. I think Klei should want to support the creative farms people have been making by making this change. Even if not for the sake of having efficient, working farms, mobs moving through structures that you cannot see causes some odd situations and confusion.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 1

Share this comment

There was a reply on another thread regarding this, but I'm unsure of how to implement

inst.Physics:SetDontRemoveOnSleep(true)

Through console. Can anyone enlighten?

Share this comment