I Think I Figured Out The Spider Monkey Spawn Mechanics...

Everyone has been saying that Spider Monkeys don’t respawn, but I think I figured out exactly how they do. It all started one day when I went into the Deep Rainforest. There was only ONE cocooned tree, and with it came ONE Spider Monkey. So I decided to leave it, not wanting to rid my world of it's only renewable source of beard hair, and continued on with my life. Twenty days later, I went back to check on the tree to see if more Monkeys had spawned, and hurried swiftly away when I saw the MONKEY DEATH PIT that had mysteriously appeared. What had begun as one tree turned into roughly TEN trees with multiple Spider Monkeys each. So I think that maybe the silk cocoon from the trees can spread, producing more trees and therefore more monkeys. Either that or it’s just some weird bug. I’ll post a picture next time I load that particular save.

The wording is key, people say that spider monkeys don't respawn because they don't. Spider monkeys Reproduce, you need to have a least one spider monkey for any more to appear. The Silk from cocooned trees doesn't spread, spider monkeys convert rainforest trees into cocooned trees, which is how you're supposed to get silk.

The thing that humanity has consistently refused to learn is that causing the extinction of an entire species is a bad idea.

A word of advice, when Klei bases a mob on an endangered or extinct species try to avoid wiping them out. Ever wonder why they're called spider monkeys when they look a lot like gorillas? It's because humans didn't push spider gorillas to the brink of extinction. Doydoys were a reference to dodos that was a little too subtle for some people so they made things more obvious this time by keeping the name of the original inspiration. Yet some people still killed every last one of them...

Remember the doydoys, did we learn nothing!?

On 11/21/2018 at 8:44 PM, nomnom victory said:

The thing that humanity has consistently refused to learn is that causing the extinction of an entire species is a bad idea.

except the problem is that the other inhabitants of the jungle will extinct the spider monkey and not the player

as this dude said

On 11/23/2018 at 7:16 AM, InSanity71 said:

I am frequently concerned that my spider monkeys will simply be killed off as they are right next to a massive cluster of snap traps

the spider monkeys are no match to the rapid reproduction of them, not to mention about the rabid beetles and the hanging vines that are hostile

its feels more like you, the player, have to intervene to protect them, which is incredibly hard to do by yourself early game, since by the time you probably have the right equipment, its already too late.

i feel like the snap traps shouldn't be so common in the deep rain forest, but should be in the poisonous part of the jungle, since the spider monkeys are usually not in that part of the jungle. that or have spider monkeys act like they are in a herd (if one of the spider monkey is attacked, the rest of the herd will fight back) with a AoE attack.

The problem of spider monkeys is their indifference compared to the rest of the pack, when one is attacked others do not join it, they have a lot of HP but little damage. Another thing is that they do not eat monster meat, which makes snaptooth's getting stronger. Well, that's it ...

Archived