World size and small things.

I have had a few world gens where the second and third area feel excessively small and have little to no pig related stuff which along side a limited final area makes a bad generation of a pond or poison biome really limit the resources in some areas leading to either relocation, many back and forth trips or rushing. I would think even 1 more biome for the later areas would go a long way:

Thief not noticing Oinc in backpack makes it entirely avoidable and possibly missed by some. Even if thief noticed them in the backpack it could still be dropped.. I'm not sure if them pilfering a backpack would be possible but if they at least spawned or especially if they could knock them out of a bag that is equipped it would help keep It a consistent focal point and memorable part of the motif. On a side note I feel like there could be more scaling with Oinc like perhaps a (25 oinc) quarter piece and raising the price on luxury foods such as honey-ham (especially considering the ingredients) to above 10 and 20 respectively and possibly adding refined materials for double the trade in value just for variety. I've found once I get a surplus of Oinc going it becomes extremely affordable sanity and health as it's valued now. Also maybe a little pig related item focus in general even if just special purchasable items like ham bat and piggyback for a high  price like 50-100.

I'm ok with the thief not noticing them in a backpack. I've gone ages without ever spawning Krumpus, players don't have to notice the thief on their first playthrough. I'm sure many will read about it on the Wikis and such anyway. I like the thief the way it is.

I had one person say the thief stole his backpack and did something with it in front of them. I've not had this happen, I'm too afraid to drop my backpack when the thief is around even before I told that because I suspected the thief might loot it or run off with it. I think the thief is fine the way it is.

If there was no way to avoid the thief, players would be dealing with the thief every day all day, and it would be nothing but a cat and mouse game with the thief and the players would never get anything else done. They'd constantly have to watch for the thief that was always there, and never have time to think about anything else, or look further and learn the rest of the world and game.

I've only survived 29 days in Hamlet so far, and I feel the price of goods is fine... Although, there was an idea I had to raise the prices under a certain circumstance that I'm going to post in another forum thread.

Well he doesn't spawn with them in a pack. I dont think something like that should be entirely avoidable so easily and when it's really the only hindrance to Oinc that makes it kinda silly. I was considering literal scaling as well so either way idm.. but my main thing is pig meat recepies like ham or bacon would be a nice nod and it depends on how much trading you do.. when it is infinite fresh food for life without challenge or strategy from the safety of a town with free light and royal gaurds to fight for you, that's pretty much the opposite of the difficulty Hamlet implied, 'less 'Not Starving' is no longer integral here which is fine if thats what they intended. this is still weeks out and small things like this have iconically been what needed tweaking in previous expansions, even well after release.. Also like hounds for instance (which are also a noticeably lacking threat and not replaced well by bats) thief could easily have a minimum-maximum timer where its just something you should be sightly aware of starting say 3 days after last spawn.. maybe even make a thing out of it like a thieves guild that eventually offers special items as a type of 'black-market' I really hope he does take bags or will that would be beautiful.. i havent checked because i assumed if they prevented spawn period then they wouldn't interact with one after the fact. The biggest downside i would say is random chance spawn early when you are working towards science machine but as of now this is the only time it is even an active part of the world after 1 gold it is entirely up to the player if a thief spawns which is quite different from krampus as avoiding a krampus spawn means actively curbing your resource gathering and he even warns you of this Maybe thief is meant to be something else entirely and i'm worried about a semi-placeholder.

The thief as he is may be a placeholder. The DLC is still in Beta after all.

I think the thief is fine as is, especially with the fog making you not want to wear a backpack or need to drop the backpack due to bats or something and being slowed and needing armor.

I was thinking they could add an item like a purse to put the coins in, and if the thief hits you the purse drops and you have to scramble to pick up the purse before the thief and every other pig in town grabs it. Making it an all or nothing situation, instead of coins flying everywhere and you scrambling to get what you can. Then its a choice of what you're willing to risk. Do you like your odds of grabbing most of the coins before every other pig, or the odds of gabbing your purse before the other pigs and getting all your coins in the purse back... Or losing them all if you don't. - A purse would also be nice for storing the Oincs in a backpack. Sort of like wax paper in DST.

I hope the thief does grab backpacks as well, though I've not been willing to test it.

I really feel there should absolutely be a way for players to avoid the thief and be able to make it from the slanty shanty to a shop without having to fight the thief every time. I'm entirely ok with the thief the way the thief is right now. I don't think Hamlet should be all about the thief. - And if players are chilling out in their home and living high on the hog, so-be-it. It'll be a bit like the RPG game "Over The Edge" - Players will get bored of town and go exploring. Personally, I wish the dungeons were HUGE, each one the size of the underground in another DS version. However, I know it would take a lot of effort from the DEV team to do that without it just being large chunks of the same stuff over and over. Artist have to draw, programmers program, I think Hamlet is nice so far and I'm excited about them finishing it and it being awesome when they do...

The thief is cute, I don't think the thief needs to be a large focus of the game. Its something for players to figure out early and overcome, and then exploit like Krumpus IMO.

Well i said.. i think he is actively not fine as is but my reasoning is that he isn't active in the world. ofcourse he is technically "fine as is" because it literally doesnt help or hinder any player without their allowance or lack of knowledge and they only  need learn why once, that scenario is possible but again would only need to happen once before it became totally avoidable once again. I agree, that time is precious, someone- many I assume -spent time on Masked Pig and did a bang up job imo; Thus i think it should be an active asset I see it as a great cornerstone for the expansion that happens to have mechanics currently that prevent it from shining as such. It is because I love it and have loved all the expansions that I am offering constructive critique with examples and ideas as straight forward and simplistic as I can manage, It is cute and if it is meant to be comedic relief then fine but I stand by that it is weird for the player to have basically full control of  _a thief enemy.. and that Mask could be a tad more like big bro krampus, aswell by that Oinc is a little bit too obtainable in quantity and would still have crazy value regardless, mostly due to plopping + Flowers + grass + idols. I personally think trade-in would be the wrong end to address it on if they were to though, curbing that wont prevent players from doing that still if want to, if anything I would expect it to inspire it a little more because it will feel rewarding when you get to be a big spender on lavish consumables while simultaneously balancing for difficulty and more speedy goal oriented play at the same time. this is what I think atleast suggestions are for, If it cant wouldn't or doesn't happen then maybe it inspires something similar to compensate, I'm not trying to hark on the game at all and am fairly sure some of this would have been on the table internally anyways because Klei continually surpasses expectations when it comes to DS and ONI especially. But I do suspect the oinc thing will become a fairly wide-spread consensus fairly fast if nothing were to change at all but I'ld also be happy if I was wrong so shall see.

~That'll do pig that'll do~

Archived