Need help auto-wrangling all critters

I dump eggs into a little room and wait for them to hatch.  Once they hatch I want them wrangled and dropped off elsewhere. I can't get this to work.

I set a Critter drop-off to auto-wrangle with 0 max critters.  I also tried picking a completely different critter type and setting it to a non-zero max as well since my shine bugs always get unintentionally wrangled in this manner.

I have 3 drop-off points in stables that have room for this little guy and he's not getting wrangled.  Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong, or does ONI just not respect a limit of 0?

Screenshot shows drop-off settings and also that my Rancher feels Pen Status is OK (aka nothing to do I assume)

screen1.png

screen2.png

3 minutes ago, Fischer_L said:

Dupes can't wrangle babies

I`ve seen them do that. But not all. They don`t wrangle baby shinebugs and pufts but they can wrangle hatchlings and drecklets. Maybe autowrangle doesn`t work for babies. But i can swear i saw wrangled hatchlings getting moved to the proper ranch in my base.

15 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I`ve seen them do that. But not all. They don`t wrangle baby shinebugs and pufts but they can wrangle hatchlings and drecklets. Maybe autowrangle doesn`t work for babies. But i can swear i saw wrangled hatchlings getting moved to the proper ranch in my base.

For me dupes move babies only from incubator. May be it works on some types of critters at other cases. In my game dupes defenitly don't autowrangles baby glossy dreckos until they become adults.

6 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Dupes can't wrangle flying creatures at all, so far as I know, adult or newborns. I can't confirm if wrangling baby critters works.

Currently, wrangling works on dreckos, hatches, and shove voles, but I don't think anything else. Slicksters and morbs require traps made from plastic, pacus require the special fish traps, and shinebugs and pufts require use of lures to relocate, which is a nightmare.

Good luck trapping, wrangling, killing, or even containing shove voles though.

12 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

Dupes can't wrangle flying creatures at all, so far as I know, adult or newborns. I can't confirm if wrangling baby critters works.

Currently, wrangling works on dreckos, hatches, and shove voles, but I don't think anything else. Slicksters and morbs require traps made from plastic, pacus require the special fish traps, and shinebugs and pufts require use of lures to relocate, which is a nightmare.

Good luck trapping, wrangling, killing, or even containing shove voles though.

You can AUTOWRANGLE flying critters...

Puftwrangle.thumb.png.00cbdb73c122db91848b23216a81c400.png

... even wild ones, but you can't wrangle them. So for the babies i think... only backwards. You can manually wrangle them, but cant' autowrangle them (probably to unsure that at least babies would stay in stable and avoid extinction)

4 minutes ago, LookingForBaal said:

Interesting.  Maybe it is the fact it is a baby.  I will let one grow up and see what happens.

If it does work, it kind of screws up my design because I'm using a weight plate for eggs and that dingus is screwing up my calculations :apthy:

If the hatchlings have a different weight than duplicants you might be able fix this with an override. If you detect a hatchling then override your logic with a memory toggle, reset it after 5 cycles with a water clock.

31 minutes ago, clickrush said:

If the hatchlings have a different weight than duplicants you might be able fix this with an override. If you detect a hatchling then override your logic with a memory toggle, reset it after 5 cycles with a water clock.

Interesting, had to look up a water clock.  I had not heard of it.

What I'm trying to accomplish is sweeping up all the eggs my hatches lay so they don't get "Expecting" or "Cramped".  Then they get dumped on a weight plate, once the plate has the weight of 4 eggs another sweeper picks up excess eggs so they can be turned to meat.  I am able to use a filter so if something is on the plate that doesn't belong it is not a big deal but I can't have more than a hatch or two or it'll trigger regardless.  If the hatches won't auto-wrangle I will probably need to come up with something entirely different because I'm trying to automate this.

There are now two babies and an adult hatch on the lower platform which the critter drop-off is seeing and the adult that is now 10 cycles old hasn't been wrangled.  I may need to just make a sandbox save and see what the issue is.  Maybe I need it to be a stable, or the room has to be smaller even though the drop-off reads 3 critters.  I have no idea.

screen3.png

Here is a very recent in depth water clock build & discussion. In this case it is used to automate rockets to only launch in peace season (several cycles w/o meteors), but when ranching came out a lot of builds used egg droppers alongside water clocks to automate omelet/meat production:

Thanks, maybe I will try something like that.  Kinda bummed it doesn't work this way..

P.S. For those curious, I put it into Sandbox mode and as soon as I enclosed the area so that it was an actual room, the adult hatches started getting wrangled.  The Rancher went to the drop-off and called them over and then tied them up.  Babies weren't taken.

6 hours ago, LookingForBaal said:

Interesting.  Maybe it is the fact it is a baby.  I will let one grow up and see what happens.

If it does work, it kind of screws up my design because I'm using a weight plate for eggs and that dingus is screwing up my calculations :apthy:

I'm using the same idea, but drops egg on a weight plate in 2 deep water/oil pool. When critters hatch a start drowning they swim up to the shore, avoid water in future and cant mess up weight plate logic.

Archived