On mods and updates

jangofet

I have the Testingtools mod, the Abigail buff mod, and a Speech mod installed. When the next update comes, will my Don't Starve work as if the mods haven't been there, or will it not work at all until I get the new version of the mod? Please help, I really don't want to have to go through a ton of work trying to fix my Don't Starve

Yeah...good question....and hard to anwser....

Typically, players using mods must wait for the modders to update for a release or force a full update and play the normal game until then.

I suggest going into the properties for this game in steam and disabling automatic updates. Then you can decide when to update based on how long the modders take to review and update.

Also, I am wondering how steam will update the installations with all these changed files from the developer's version. It seems to only update the files Klei has marked as changed, not ALL of the files so things could get messy.

EDIT:

Refer to this thread on how to force steam to update the game to the standard version if you need to.....

Help! I've installed mods incorrectly and now my game doesn't work!

Edited by WrathOf

[MENTION=2466]Luna Lovecraft[/MENTION]Not that I have seen, the updates are very minor. So some may end up with have modded files and half new files from dev.Are you not getting differential updates?

No, see, what happens is when the game updates it verifies every file, not just add the new ones. During the verification it'll replace any files that aren't the same as the ones in the new version. Therefore they'll replace the old files.

• Developer

Next update the new shiny modding system will be in, and each mod will be in its own directory. If you already have mods installed, I highly recommend doing a "verify integrity" on Steam to clear the modifications after the update and wait until the mods are transferred over to the new system. It's way more user and modder friendly! For modders: the transfer to the new system shouldn't be all that difficult. I've created some sample mods to show what can be done, and having a blast.

I have the Testingtools mod, the Abigail buff mod, and a Speech mod installed. When the next update comes, will my Don't Starve work as if the mods haven't been there, or will it not work at all until I get the new version of the mod? Please help, I really don't want to have to go through a ton of work trying to fix my Don't Starve

Yes, you will probably have to reload all of the scripts.And If you are talking about my mod (speech mod) then I will update the script as soon as the update comes.