Regarding pigs, the combat targeting system.

My biggest annoyance with Hamlet has been related to the pigs and the combat system.

Firstly the targeted attack (ctrl + f by default) seems to target the closest enemy, not the one you were previously attacking. This is annoying as multiple times I have battled a Thief Pig and accidentally begin a duel with a friendly guard or innocent bystander. While I could use the mouse cursor for combat I feel I have greater control using the keyboard. I think DST remembers the last target you hit and focuses on the enemy you most recently attacked (rather than the current closest combat target) but it could be a client mod I have installed.

Another solution could be to treat the friendly pigs as "followers" (can only be attacked by holding control and using the mouse cursor to click on them.) This might help with friendly fire when around the pig village.

Second annoyance has been with the trading system. Some of the wealthier female pigs talked about shrubbery and trimmers so I thought they might be willing to pay for some hedge trimmers. What I expected was Wilson kindly offering the hedge trimmers and the female pig either gratefully accepting them or declining them. What I did not expect was Wilson to equip them and start hacking the poor woman to pieces! This was a surprise to me and made many of the town guards angry.

My first (and currently only) death in Hamlet was due to me trading with a townspig. I didn't see the guard (who I had made angry by accident a week earlier) due to my camera angle hiding him behind a house but only saw him long enough to see his pike impale Wilson who then toppled to the ground and died. (I just wanted to help the woman trim her hedges! It was not my intention to hurt her!)

I would like to see Klei add some improvements to make it harder to accidentally attack the friendly townspigs. It might also be interesting if we could pay a fine for past crimes to be forgiven.

6 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

It might also be interesting if we could pay a fine for past crimes to be forgiven.

Yes, great idea. It's a little annoying when a minor error is following you forever, like picking berries in the first bush you see or trying to cut a tree in the town. Would be great to be able to pay, price would go up depending of number of time you angered a pig and number of time you used it, so it will be ok to pay for one mistake, but not ok to steal all the berry bushes of the town.

Firstly the targeted attack (ctrl + f by default) seems to target the closest enemy, not the one you were previously attacking. This is annoying as multiple times I have battled a Thief Pig and accidentally begin a duel with a friendly guard or innocent bystander.

Ctrl + F is a force target. You'll attack things even if they aren't hostile. F alone is to attack hostiles. Don't Ctrl + F in the hamlet or you'll hit a pig. Though if your intent is to hit a neutral mob then do so, and then continue with F as it will now be hostile towards you.

What I expected was Wilson kindly offering the hedge trimmers and the female pig either gratefully accepting them or declining them. What I did not expect was Wilson to equip them and start hacking the poor woman to pieces! This was a surprise to me and made many of the town guards angry.

If you hover over a pig with a tool it will likely say "Attack". I made the same mistake as I did it in a fluid motion. Live and learn.

It might also be interesting if we could pay a fine for past crimes to be forgiven.

You can pay a guard 10 oincs for them to quit their assaults. Drop the coins on the ground, or else you'll get hit.

Archived