[Help] Character Gaining Health + Hunger by Killing?

I'm creating a character mod for Don't Starve Together (all the cosmetic parts are done), and I need some assistance with an ability of his. He's a robotic character, so I'd prefer if he didn't have to eat, and could instead gain hunger and health from killing. If anyone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated!

(I accidentally put this same question on the regular don't starve forum before this, whoops.)

I have to say, I think there must be a better way than what I'm gonna propose now, but I can't seem to find one.

The problem is, the player isn't made aware when he/she kills something. The thing that gets killed, has a "killed" event pushed on it whenever it dies by its combat component's GetAttacked function, but the combat component doesn't push an event when its DoAttack function deals a killing blow. The only way I see of doing this, would be to register to listen for the "killed" event of every monster you attack (by listening to the player's "onattackother" event, and reading the new target from the data sent by the event), so if their "killed" event is pushed, you can react to it. You would have to have a list of all the monsters you're listening to, so you can make sure not to subscribe to listen for the same monster more than once at a time, and you would also have to somehow stop listening to monsters after a while, so you don't keep listening to them forever. I'm kind of baffled that I can't find a better way to do this.

Does anyone else have a better idea?

See Lumina's answer below.

Edited by Ultroman
I was mistaken

7 hours ago, Ultroman said:

The problem is, the player isn't made aware when he/she kills something.

There is an event for this. The "killed" event. When a players kills an entity, the event can be used to trigger a function.

Here is the function i use for my character :

In masterpostinit :

inst:ListenForEvent("killed", onkilled)

The function itself :

local function onkilled(inst, data)
if data.victim:HasTag("animal") then
 inst.components.sanity:DoDelta(-TUNING.SANITY_SMALL)
 end
end

The purpose of my function is to remove sanity each time she kills an animal. You can easily adapt it to gain hunger and health each time your character kills something. Remove the tag check if you don't need it (it's also useful to exclude some cases if needed).

I don't think that destroying walls or stuff like this count as killing but you should verify it just in case if you want to be sure that stuff like this will not provide too easy healing methods.

Ah, I see. I misread this line of code:

attacker:PushEvent("killed", { victim = self.inst })

I had read it as "this" instead of "attacker", so I thought it notified the killed entity that it had been killed. It was a late night :) Thanks for the correction.