New To Shipwrecked - Need Lots of Advice!

Mencken

I' m a veteran of ROG and can solo anything but in Shipwrecked it's like never having played the game.   Died on day 2, then 8, then made it halfway through the dry season (got hit by volcano bomb, 350 damage with no armor).    I'm having a lot of issues:

1.   How do I keep my base dry during Monsoon season?   Is it true that cobblestones work?

2.   As WX I am constantly losing health through wetness, any suggestions?

3.   Sanity is another problem, what foods are best or can I do mushroom planters?   What about best foods for health?

4.   I think I spend too much time exploring, should I cut back and focus on building a base and supplies?

5.   Got attacked by Sealnado, went to land and was practically decimated, couldn't figure out how to attack.

6.  Is there any protection from lightning strikes other than rods that I can wear?

7.   I thought sleeping on a bedroll restored sanity/health, it didn't (haven't played regular DS in so long that I forgot), do tents work better?

1. Sandbags work good and all created turfs should stoped flooding

2. Snakeskin hat (70%), Snakeskin Jacket (70%), Umbrella (90%), Topical umbrella (50%), Palm leaf hut (near firepit)

Spoiler

Cooked in portable red crockpot is only foods which can be cook by Warly | LINK to all recipes

image.thumb.png.0dc029683aeb41a134f784584e51a109.png

4. Its your game style, so if u like exploring just do it :D Someone like exploring, other like doing mega base

5. I think that video can be helped - btw I forgot Cutlass deals 68 dmg but againist Sealnado deals 34 more dmg - 102!

Spoiler

6. Eyebrella, Rain coat, Rain hat, Dumbrella, Snakeskin jacket, Snakeskin hat and maybe Umbrella and Tropical umbrella

7. Tent give you more uses and more stats :)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2fc0ebfd48df36361bee650a94667069.png

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Thalkas said:

1. Sandbags work good and all created turfs should stoped flooding

2. Snakeskin hat (70%), Snakeskin Jacket (70%), Umbrella (90%), Topical umbrella (50%), Palm leaf hut (near firepit)

Hide contents

Cooked in portable red crockpot is only foods which can be cook by Warly | LINK to all recipes

image.thumb.png.0dc029683aeb41a134f784584e51a109.png

4. Its your game style, so if u like exploring just do it :D Someone like exploring, other like doing mega base

5. I think that video can be helped - btw I forgot Cutlass deals 68 dmg but againist Sealnado deals 34 more dmg - 102!

Reveal hidden contents

6. Eyebrella, Rain coat, Rain hat, Dumbrella, Snakeskin jacket, Snakeskin hat and maybe Umbrella and Tropical umbrella

7. Tent give you more uses and more stats :)

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.2fc0ebfd48df36361bee650a94667069.png

Some really bizarre advice there!

1. Puddles cannot form on man made turf, such as wooden flooring, snakeskin rug, or cobblestone. Early on I try to produce enough of the first two to cover a 5x5 square before monsoon season. Why so much? Because puddles that formed on natural turf can still expand onto your base. That's where sand bags come in. The best use of sandbags is to place them onto the middle of the puddle. That completely stops it from expanding. This needs a bit of experimenting to get right.

2. Snakeskin jacket and hat together will completely protect you. However, I recommend getting a blubber suit as soon as possible. You need to find and kill a whale for that (look up wiki; basically it's the Shipwrecked equivalent of the koalafant), and then visit the carcass regularly. Kiting the whale requires some practice! When you find the Tiger shark den, kill he tiger shark and get a dumbrella. It's the Shipwrecked equivalent of the Eyebrella, and is the best wetness protection item by far. In general, WX is a good Shipwrecked character, due to ridiculous abundance of gears. In any case, have a palm leaf hut near the fire and crockpots.

3. I don't know why Thalkas highlighted some of the mediocre recipes that are only available to Warly, when there are much better ones that are available to everyone. Surf'nTurf is fairly easy to make, as is Seafood gumbo, and both are excellent for sanity. If you can, make your base on an island with fishermerms, and you will be drowning in fish. There are also the usual methods, such as hiring pigs to chop wood and just stand near them. I usually try to build two boar huts on my island as quickly as possible. Another minor source of sanity that has no equivalent in the other game variants is the basketball. It will be floating somewhere in the water.

4. I try to find a large island for a base in the first 10 days, then I spend the next 10 days preparing for Monsoon season, and only explore when I have "spare time". I also try to summon and kill Quacken as early as possible, since the drops are fantastic. Others might have a different routine. It took me quite a bit of experimenting to get the beginning right.

5. I find sealnado MUCH easier to fight in the water. Cutlass supreme is top priority to acquire before he arrives. If you are lucky enough to fish out a trident while summoning Quacken, then that's equally good (on water!). Also, make a good boat lantern (bioluminescence + bottle) and have some spare bioluminescence to fuel it and a spare boat repair kit on you. Once you find Yaarctopus, don't waste the non-renewable bioluminescence, and get the lanterns from him instead.

6. Best protection is the Dumbrella, but as WX I would welcome the strikes for overcharging.

7. Tent works just like in the normal version. And just like in the normal version, it is almost always a waste of time ;)

Shipwrecked is, I think, harder than RoG, but absolutely awesome fun. For a hard game, it's very well balanced and rewarding! Good luck!

Great tips and very thoroughly explained!   Now I understand the partial flooding on the base.   

I agree that dss is harder than rog and ds.   It’s fun being a noob again, have died 4 times so far but I think I am at the point of passing that now, have to make it through the dry season first though.

sailing while watching mini map and waves is a little challenging..

Archived