Creating/Using Language Translations

David_B

• Developer

Thanks to all of our international players for checking out the game and you'll be happy to hear that we're adding translation mod support! We still have a lot of work to do on the translation system, including fixing UI layout issues and validating that all game text is translatable. But with your help we can iron out those issues!

Creating a Language Pack

• Download and install poedit.
  • Open the Hot Lava folder: right click on Hot Lava in Steam, click properties, click the Local Files tab, and click Browse Local Files.
  • Open the mods folder which is located in archive/build/hotlava_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/
  • Open the strings_template.pot with poedit.
  • Click Create New Translation.
  • Translate the strings by clicking on them.
  • Save As strings.po in the same directory to test (restart the game to see your changes).
  • Once you're done translating, make a preview.png image, move your strings.po file to an empty folder, and upload the translation to the Steam Workshop using the Hot Lava Uploader. You can find the uploader in your Steam Library by switching your library to Tools and then launching "Hot Lava Language Mod Uploader".
  • Subscribe to your mod in the Steam Workshop and test it in game!

Translation notes

Do not translate these special words used by the game (and not displayed to users):

• Ignore words starting with % like %playera or %playerb.
    • %playera or %playerb in a string is replaced with a player’s name.
  • Ignore anything in {} brackets like {0}, {1}, or {0:0.###E+0}.
    • msgctxt ending in _FMT have {0} in them that will be replaced at runtime. (FMT is short for format.)
  • Ignore anything in <> brackets like <color=#ffffff>, </color>, or similar html tags. Translate the stuff between the >< characters: <color=#beefed>Pig Latin</color> becomes <color=#beefed>Igpay Atinlay</color>
  • STRINGS.UI.INGAME.LEADERBOARD.ORDINALS look like st nd rd th in our in-game font. If you don't want a suffix, use a space.

Ensure hotlava_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/strings.po isn't your only copy of your translation! That strings.po file is overwritten by the game every time you select a translation.

strings.po is the only filename that will work! You must upload a mod containing a file with the name strings.po. Putting your preview.png in there too is fine.

When testing your translation, look in your output_log for errors. For example, the message "TRANSLATION ERROR! The following have missing or mismatched parameters" means you forgot to include some {0} which causes text like "1 friend online" to appear as "friend online".

For best results, use a preview image with the same dimensions as the attached hotlava_languagetemplate01.png (it can look like anything but should be square).

Using a Language Pack

• Launch the game.
  • Click on "Languages".
  • Click on "Workshop".
  • Subscribe to the Language Pack you want to use.
  • Go back to the game, click refresh, click on the Language Pack you want to use, and click Select.

hotlava_languagetemplate01.png

strings_template.pot

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Developer

@Laider does it work when you put your strings.po file in hotlava_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods?

If you uploaded it to Steam, make sure you subscribe to it so it shows up in your language menu! (I forget to do this all the time.)

Also: Make sure you named the file strings.po! Don't add a language suffix to the filename. Nothing except strings.po

• Developer

@Laider looks right to me. With that setup, you should see your translation applied in game.

Check in look in your output_log for errors. For example, the message "TRANSLATION ERROR! The following have missing or mismatched parameters" means you forgot to include some {0} which causes text like "1 friend online" to appear as "friend online".

If there's nothing obvious there, run with this setup and report a bug in-game. That should give me the info I need to debug.

• Developer

@crystal_clodet

Can you upload your translation to Steam so I can test with it? You can keep it hidden and I'll use super dev powers to look at it. (You're right that the current build does not support right-to-left languages.)

• Like 1

Hey! I'm translating the game to Polish. The problem starts when I want to test some things out. I upload it to the workshop, then, when I have to select my language mod in the game, it says to restart the game, okay, but after the restart, my mod is not applying. It worked maybe 2 times, and I tried it about 20 times. Am I doing something wrong?

Project-Id-Version:
POT-Creation-Date:
PO-Revision-Date:
Last-Translator:
Language-Team:
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Generator: Poedit 2.1.1

Do I need to translate this section, or add anything?

• Developer
On 2018-09-27 at 12:19 AM, Enzemo said:

Do I need to translate this section, or add anything?

No. That all looks like stuff generated by poedit. Whatever it generates should be fine.

On 2018-09-26 at 9:49 AM, Hunterluz said:

Hey! I'm translating the game to Polish. The problem starts when I want to test some things out. I upload it to the workshop, then, when I have to select my language mod in the game, it says to restart the game, okay, but after the restart, my mod is not applying. It worked maybe 2 times, and I tried it about 20 times. Am I doing something wrong?

Check your output_log for errors. For example, the message "TRANSLATION ERROR! The following have missing or mismatched parameters" means you forgot to include some {0} which causes text like "1 friend online" to appear as "friend online".

Do you have the same problems if you switch your language back to English and copy your strings.po file into archive/build/hotlava_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/ ?