The Gantry

So I recently finished watching the movie "The Martian" with Matt Damon.  And it gave me great ONI vibes. 

Now, I noticed that their Rockets they used on Mars to leave the planet.  The entry point was actually the BOTTOM of the rocket.  It didn't have any fancy Gantry.

And if you think about it for a moment, these rockets in ONI they go off to some asteroid or planet or whatever on missions to bring back stuff.   They obviously don't have an external gantry waiting for them to get out of their command module.   How exactly do they manage to get out of their rockets, collect their samples and bring back all that without an entry access point.   

Hypothetically, I mean if Klei wanted to expand the game beyond the browser mechanics mission of sending guys off and automatically collect stuff and bring back,  and actually add in a mini mode with a mini smaller map version of game play, they'd have to show the rocket landing on that planet and having our guys get out and back in right.

What I'm suggesting is get rid of the Gantry and just have the access entry point to the rocket be at the bottom.

I actully assumed that the reason the gantry is raw metal was just so it`s buildable on other worlds without the need for metal refining infrastructure. But that also means the dupe has to jump off the top of the rocket to get the materials.

It`d be cool if the command module just dropped down a retractable ladder. Then the gantry could be reworked into a retractable pipe so we don`t get those pipes left behind when the rocket takes off.

5 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

So I recently finished watching the movie "The Martian" with Matt Damon.  And it gave me great ONI vibes. 

Now, I noticed that their Rockets they used on Mars to leave the planet.  The entry point was actually the BOTTOM of the rocket.  It didn't have any fancy Gantry.

And if you think about it for a moment, these rockets in ONI they go off to some asteroid or planet or whatever on missions to bring back stuff.   They obviously don't have an external gantry waiting for them to get out of their command module.   How exactly do they manage to get out of their rockets, collect their samples and bring back all that without an entry access point.   

Hypothetically, I mean if Klei wanted to expand the game beyond the browser mechanics mission of sending guys off and automatically collect stuff and bring back,  and actually add in a mini mode with a mini smaller map version of game play, they'd have to show the rocket landing on that planet and having our guys get out and back in right.

What I'm suggesting is get rid of the Gantry and just have the access entry point to the rocket be at the bottom.

maybe low gravity so if the dupe jumps so he slowlyyy... falls down instead just smashing the *insert the stuff on the asteroid*

Archived