Build for cooling auto-sweepers (and loaders) in total vacuum

Hello,

I saw some threads floating around about cooling sweepers in vaccum and I didn't see anyone suggest a proper solution, so I decided to share my method.

Before Klei nerfed solar panels, I built a fully automated solar tower that used auto sweepers to transport regolith/refined iron.

Cooling the auto sweepers in total vacuum proved a challenge: water dripping doesn't work and submerging them in liquid floods them, but I managed to find a solution, although it is space-dependent mind you.

tower.thumb.jpg.5721a28961cc391a69ca670cad80254a.jpg.

What I found out is that you can cool sweepers and loaders in two ways:

1) Dump a big amount of water on top of them (the small right build), this momentarily covers them in liquid, allowing heat transfer.

2) Close mechanized airlocks flooded in water, this allows heat transfer (somehow).

The tower used a mixed of both.

Cooled water, which is always being cooled by hydrogen chamber+worts, is pumped into 4 chambers.

Each chamber is set to 900kg and when the water level exceeds this value, the doors open, dropping liquid on top of the sweepers and loaders.

However, the water dropping doesn't always work, so when the air locks close, the water is "pushed" on top of the loaders/sweepers and allowing heat transfer.

This allowed me to fully automate the solar tower and clear regolith and refined iron.

I built this tower in survival mode and it worked perfectly but had to dismantle it 2 days ago and turn it into a rocket launch base since you can't stack solar panels like this anymore.

Obviously this design is limited in how you can deploy it, so I'm still trying to develop more efficient builds for it.

But the principle is there.

I hope you found it useful.

Let me know what you think.

19 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

panels block light so you can't stack them any more

20180907095559_1.thumb.jpg.5a113ea38bf8abe0e35512f4fdbdf5de.jpg

no

"

2 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

I built this tower in survival mode and it worked perfectly but had to dismantle it 2 days ago and turn it into a rocket launch base since you can't stack solar panels like this anymore.

2 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

Before Klei nerfed solar panels, I built a fully automated solar tower that used auto sweepers to transport regolith/refined iron.

This is not the point of this topic, but the cooling method of the sweepers...

Archived