An easy-to-build, compact and efficient Glossy Drecko farm.

Greetings,

I'm a fairly new to Klei forums (been an ONI reddit user for a while), and I wanted to share some of my designs to get some feedback from the minds here.

The first one is my glassy Drecko farm.

It has served me for 3, 800+ cycles bases so far and proven to be extremely reliable, easy to set up and design.

There isn't much to explain here, the picture is self explanatory.

The row with the temp shift plates is entirely filled with hydrogen.

The bottom row is the only row that isn't filled with hydrogen, it is filled with CO2 to keep the mealwood growing.

The dreckos spend the vast majority of their time in hydrogen, and while the farm can support up to 6 dreckos, I usually end up with more plastic than I know what to do with.

The ladder placement is done specifically to reduce the chance that a drecko will venture down, and instead gives him the option to jump across and keep climbing the ceiling. 

The temperature inside the farm, at the top level is around 8C (hydrogen), and bottom CO2 is stable at 27C.  The outter wall can be replaced by granite wall to allow some heat to transfer outside, providing some cooling as well.

The initial set up is done manually, the CO2 layer is gathered automatically when dupes are building the place, and hydrogen is pumped from SPOM until all the layers are filled.

After that its "Set it and forget it".

Fertilization and plastic collection is done automatically by auto-sweepers.

Farm can be extended to build auto sweeprs to collect the phosphorus, but I don't mind it done manually.

Would like to hear your opinions!

farm.jpg

Nicely done, only thing I wonder is how far the dreckos have to travel when being called for grooming or shearing 

Just to share here is my glossy drecko stable, it might not be as easy to build as yours but it's worth it.  I use bristles instead of mealwood to save on dirt.  There's only enough O2 for the blossoms to grow so the dreckos spend most of the time in H2.  The dreckos can hop from ceiling to floor (and vice versa) in 4 places allowing quick travel time to the shearing and grooming stations.  And the sweepers pick up all the plastic, phosphorite, and eggs

The whole room is exactly 96 tiles

1.thumb.png.a59d44dce73a6641224d6a4ee2b74a26.png

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Nicely done, only thing I wonder is how far the dreckos have to travel when being called for grooming or shearing 

Just to share here is my glossy drecko stable, it might not be as easy to build as yours but it's worth it.  I use bristles instead of mealwood to save on dirt.  There's only enough O2 for the blossoms to grow so the dreckos spend most of the time in H2.  The dreckos can hop from ceiling to floor (and vice versa) in 4 places allowing quick travel time to the shearing and grooming stations.  And the sweepers pick up all the plastic, phosphorite, and eggs

The whole room is exactly 96 tiles

1.thumb.png.a59d44dce73a6641224d6a4ee2b74a26.png

Neat, although I'm on the other side of the road, I prefer to conserve water, since without drecko farm, I have 0 uses for dirt, and I find that I have plenty of it by using a cycle of Carbon skimmer>water sieve loop in my Petroleum generator room, and the leftovers meal lice that the dreckos don't eat (goes into the compost).

Abundance of water supply can be trickly, on some games your only geysers would be the 2 Cool steam you are guaranteed to have, in this scenario I wouldn't use bristles.

In general I moved away from bristles completely and unto mushrooms to minimize water consumption and remove the need of cooling water at all.

I guess you also need to cool water for bristles in this farm.

How is the temperature in general in your farm? its completely sealed off and there are no worts, you have heat generated by the sweepers/loaders and dreckos, the bristles will eventually over heat.

When setting up your farm, was it easy/hard to prime it with the oxygen/hydrogen layers?

1 minute ago, Steve Raptor said:

When setting up your farm, was it easy/hard to prime it with the oxygen/hydrogen layers?

hard,

had to pre measure how much oxygen and hydrogen I needed in a separate room

I would pump the hydrogen in first then use 6 vents to prime the oxygen over the farm tiles evenly

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

hard,

had to pre measure how much oxygen and hydrogen I needed in a separate room

I would pump the hydrogen in first then use 6 vents to prime the oxygen over the farm tiles evenly

Forgot to answer regarding travel times.

Generally they are very short, the farm is fairly small in general.

The rancher has plenty of time to groom all the dreckos and then have plenty of time to tend other matters.

Your farm seems very wide, how are your Drecko travel times?

Just now, Steve Raptor said:

Forgot to answer regarding travel times.

Generally they are very short, the farm is fairly small in general.

The rancher has plenty of time to groom all the dreckos and then have plenty of time to tend other matters.

Your farm seems very wide, how are your Drecko travel times?

short as well, dreckos can hop from ceiling to floor (and vice versa) were you see the one tile gap on ether side of the stations, this allows the dreckos to reach the rancher quickly 

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

short as well, dreckos can hop from ceiling to floor (and vice versa) were you see the one tile gap on ether side of the stations, this allows the dreckos to reach the rancher quickly 

Interesting, I didn't know Dreckos can jump from ceiling to floor and vice vera at 1 tile height.

Archived