Magma-powered petroleum and steam

@KittenIsAGeek

Awesome!  I'm glad someone else is getting use out of the design I came up with and it's surprisingly automation-lite too.  Great job!  I'm starting to build my own survival version of the petro boiler in my current game although I have a long way to go before it'll function.  I'm still digging out around the gold volcano I'm planning on using for it.  I have found that the design also works just as well using a hot tank of petroleum as the heat source.  So, my current plan is a liquid-dropper design that's been mentioned and posted around.  The Dropper is on the right there,at least, my current design for one.  My plan is to corner grab the solid clunks out of the tank with a auto-sweeper (Of course) and then feed them through another tank (Probably oil) to run a steam turbine.  Measuring the temperature of the primary tank will be tricky, but doable with an averaged thermo-sensor design I posted in that same thread.  The temperature range I'm aiming for is 440C to 470C for the primary tank.

Another thought I've had is a bit more automation for the oil-petro converter as it technically doesn't self-start as the door is only hooked up to the top hydro-sensor, so you have to manually trip that sensor to get the door to close to heat the first batch.  So, a little bit of extra automation for edge-detection could certainly help.  I'll probably poke at that now, in fact.

Good luck on building yours!

OilRefinery10B.thumb.jpg.ed0f6566654dad2cf48be6e33a58e118.jpg

1 minute ago, The Flying Fox said:

Another thought I've had is a bit more automation for the oil-petro converter as it technically doesn't self-start as the door is only hooked up to the top hydro-sensor, so you have to manually trip that sensor to get the door to close to heat the first batch.

I added some logic so that I can start/stop it at the flip of a switch, but thanks for pointing out a case that my logic was not ready for.  I'll have to think about how to test for that particular condition.  

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I added some logic so that I can start/stop it at the flip of a switch, but thanks for pointing out a case that my logic was not ready for.  I'll have to think about how to test for that particular condition.  

This should do what we want, I think!  I've swapped the hydro sensors to 'Above' instead of 'Below' and it includes a switch to both stop pouring oil and to keep the door open.  Then the OR detects if either or both of the hydro sensors are firing.  Another AND could even be wired with the main switch to detect for low/high tanks of oil/petro and shut it off automatically.

OilRefinery11B.thumb.jpg.e8ddd2b0f8c96879bccbbce4f104f27e.jpg

Archived