How does insulation work with thermal stone?

Does insulation increase how long thermal stones retain their heat? Or should I wait till my thermal stone has cooled down past a certain point before putting on my winter gear to save wear? Can anyone illuminate more on how these two things work?

In singleplayer, the thermal stone doesn't have durability. So no worries about saving wear!

Thermal stones don't increase your insulation per se, they change your body temperature. Whereas clothing insulates you, reducing how quickly your body temperature changes.

If you're gonna use a thermal stone during winter, it's best to get it heated up as much as possible (bright orange), then throw on your insulated clothing - the stone heats you up as much as it can, and the clothing helps retain that higher heat.

At a certain point, having a thermal stone can actually harm you more than if you don't have one. If the stone is cold enough, it will start actively cooling you down (which is why people will put one in an icebox to use during RoG summer as well). When the stone turns grey, it's nearly the same temperature as the environment, making its effect almost neutral to your body. When it's blue or white, it will start making you colder.

You didn't really answer my questions. Also I believe your statement about the stone is wrong. When the stone is gray, or blue, that indicates the temperature of the stone and the temperature it gives off, not that of the surrounding environment. For example a gray stone is NOT that of the surrounding environment if the surrounding environment is freezing and will keep you warmer longer. I know this because I've had gray level stones I've dropped with backpack for battle many a time (usually accidentally) and after I've dropped the stone I immediately start freezing. Similarly blue stones might not be as effective but I still think they are keeping you slightly warmer than a very cold winter area, since I have dropped them too in a similar fashion. Also color is just a general range, each color represents a range of temperatures.

So rather than thermal stones getting colder than the environment, they just reach the temperate of the environment(with a max floor of 0), whatever that may be, which is why they heat up in the summer.

Or should I wait till my thermal stone has cooled down past a certain point before putting on my winter gear to save wear?

In singleplayer, the thermal stone doesn't have durability. So no worries about saving wear!

To save wear on the winter gear of course, which was evidenced by my saying "before putting on my winter gear".

Does insulation reduce the rate at which thermal stones lose heat?

Archived