Liquid heating up rapidly inside abyssalite pipes

Context: I've just returned to the game after a lapse of a few months.

I've got a tank of cold gas through which I'm running liquid in pipes. The pipes enter the tank, noodle around inside, and then leave the tank. The tank walls are abyssalite. The pipe segments inside the tank are radiant pipes made of gold. The pipe segments inside the tank walls, and the pipe segments outside the tank, are abyssalite liquid pipes. The pipe segments outside the tank are mostly about 30C warmer than the fluid that leaves the tank, and are about the same temperature as the thinnish gas that shares those tiles. There is no drywall, tempshift plates, or other buildings on most of the tiles through which the pipes run after leaving the tank, and over the stretch during which the fluid temp rises.

The fluid I send through these piles cools rapidly in the tank interior. Then on leaving the tank the temperature starts rising quickly.

This is puzzling to me. When I last played, abyssalite liquid pipes were perfect insulators, or at least perfect to within my ability to detect any transfer. I'd expect the temperature of fluid traveling in abyssalite liquid pipes to remain unchanged, regardless of the temperature of the pipes and the contents of the tiles through which those pipes pass (apart from fluid-input tiles on buildings.)

So either something significant has changed about heat transfer in abyssalite pipes, or I'm misremembering the old behavior, or my system isn't behaving the way I think I see it behaving, or my system isn't composed the way I think it's composed.

Is it that first thing? (I know y'all can't help me with any of the other three things--If I can rule out that first one, I can proceed to those on my own.)

3 minutes ago, Jumpp said:

This is puzzling to me. When I last played, abyssalite liquid pipes were perfect insulators

Not anymore - the pipes themselves need to acclimatise/equalise and will reflect that with the liquids you pass through them.

What you're experiencing is normal bud.

Temperature calculations have been changed. Let's showcase this : 

• Before :

Material A with conductivity 1 against Material B with conductivity 3. The exchange will be 1. As it is the lowest.

• Now :

Material A with conductivity 1 against Material B with conductivity 3. The exchange will be 2. (It's not very accurate but reflects the change) So the exchange is faster than before.

BUT ! Now we have insulated pipes. Those pipes retain the old calculations to better insulate than common pipes. So Insulated igneous rock pipes should be enough for most tasks. If you want to work with a difference in temperature of above 40°C or so, you should use insulated abyssalite pipes to get even better results.

Archived