Algae deoxidizer and slimelung

Hello everyone

This is my very first post on these forums, so let me start by saying thank you for an absolutely awesome game.
It's been 4 months since I bought it, and I've already spent 400 hours on it :p
I've enjoyed all the upgrades and EU is no exception.Sure, there are things that could be tweaked here and there, but I'm sure that'll come in future upgrades. In the meantime we'll just have to be creative and come up with nifty solutions to whatever challenge that arise.

Speaking of which. In my previous bases I've just set up a carbon dioxide lock at the bottom of my base and mined the c*** out of the slime biomes to get all that precious algae. No need for exosuits if you just do it a bit at a time. With this strategy I've been able to support up to 10 dupes with 2 deoxidizers for up to 500 cycles, giving me plenty of time to set up an efficient and complex electrolyzer system in the ice biome.

The reason this has been possible is because the deoxiziers don't actually give off slimelung even if the algae is infested with it. Or at least that's the way it used to be before EU (I think). This is what it looks like now after 1/3 of a cycle with slimelung infested algae :shock:

image.thumb.png.8a84e58482c0f7b9f004892c46e5f416.png

I'm not too concerned about those dupes with slimelung on them, since I haven't had a single one die from it even with their immune system at 0%. But the slimelung in the air is going to be a problem.

I know I can kill it off by dumping it in some chlorine, but I can't seem to find a way to distinguish between infested and non-infested algae (or slime for that matter). How do I set up a system where algae is only used when it is germ free? I thought about cycling it through a chlorine room on a conveyor rail, but that doesn't guarantee that it's germ free when it comes out at the other end, unless I make it crazy long, and it's also more of a late(r) game setup. I could of course just change my strategy and set up an oxidizer earlier, but before I do that, I wanna toy around with solutions to this problem.

I've been looking through the updates and searched the forums, but I can't find a reference to this apparent change. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone have a good idea how to deal with it? I kinda feel like we're missing a germ sensor for the storage compactors... or is it just me?

Also on a side note... didn't there used to be slimelung in the swamp water? It's almost too easy now to manage the germs... except for this little tweak heh

FYI... I love the challenge :D

Oh... and if I'm touching a subject that has already been discussed at length and people have already come up with solutions to, then I apologize and humbly ask for direction to where I can find them.

I bet its a side effect of the code tweak they did to make the water cooler and coffee carry the germs in the water.

As for de-germing your algae. Containers in a chlorine room with the doors locked until the germs are all dead is the first thing that comes to mind. Germ overlay will tell you when its time.

Or you can dump the algae in a container under cold water in the ice biome. An alternative is to open the ice biome so it cools down the slime => slimelung dies under 20° relatively fast(30%/cycle)

And for your base - maybe keep clean oxygen s that the slimelung dies(in gas), again for a few cycles it's dead. I'm not sure how fast dupes' immunity falls, it depends on the germs they have, but as long as they are in an oxygen environment it should be OK

ive encountered this before, you should have ore scrubbers to clean algae and/or have a chlorine-filled storage room for germy ores, just reconstruct a new algae deoxydizer and the slimelung will die off after some time

if only dupes are smart enough to recognize germy ores

26 minutes ago, Promethien said:

I bet its a side effect of the code tweak they did to make the water cooler and coffee carry the germs in the water.

As for de-germing your algae. Containers in a chlorine room with the doors locked until the germs are all dead is the first thing that comes to mind. Germ overlay will tell you when its time.

You may be right. I can't read (that) code, but I was thinking the same. I think it's good though. It should be harder to manage the germs now that they can actually drink the water.

As for the chlorine room, I still don't know how to prevent them from using the germy algae while the deoxidizers are running. Sure I have a ton of clean algae for the moment, but sooner or later I'm gonna run out of that without noticing, and then I'll have slimelung all over.

15 minutes ago, martosss said:

Or you can dump the algae in a container under cold water in the ice biome. An alternative is to open the ice biome so it cools down the slime => slimelung dies under 20° relatively fast(30%/cycle)

And for your base - maybe keep clean oxygen s that the slimelung dies(in gas), again for a few cycles it's dead. I'm not sure how fast dupes' immunity falls, it depends on the germs they have, but as long as they are in an oxygen environment it should be OK

Also a good idea with the water, but again I'll eventually miss when I run out of clean algae... probably while I'm setting up the oxidizer room.
It will die off in the oxygen but it does take a few cycles. I'm probably making a bigger issue out of it that necessary. I guess I'll just have to try it out at let it run for a while and see if it spreads.

18 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

ive encountered this before, you should have ore scrubbers to clean algae and/or have a chlorine-filled storage room for germy ores, just reconstruct a new algae deoxydizer and the slimelung will die off after some time

if only dupes are smart enough to recognize germy ores

I used to set up ore scrubbers in some of my early bases, but found that it wasn't really necessary, since the deoxidizers didn't excrete slimelung and the slimelung died off quickly on solids.

If dupes were only smart enough to recognize germy ores indeed lol

Thanks for your input. I'll try to play around with it some more.

2 hours ago, Milliways said:

because the deoxiziers don't actually give off slimelung even if the algae is infested with it

I play since ranch I. I gave up in one of my earlier playthrough because my deoxizier infested with slimelung. So, I'm pretty sure in ranch update it's already give off slimelung from infested algae. Since that time, I store my produced algae in chlorine room. Compactor inside a small hole filled with chlorine will do if you can't afford chlorine room yet.

6 minutes ago, abud said:

I play since ranch I. I gave up in one of my earlier playthrough because my deoxizier infested with slimelung. So, I'm pretty sure in ranch update it's already give off slimelung from infested algae. Since that time, I store my produced algae in chlorine room. Compactor inside a small hole filled with chlorine will do if you can't afford chlorine room yet.

Hmm... I think you're right, but it seems to have been tweaked then to excrete more slimelung.

I've also been playing since Ranching MK1. I just haven't had a problem with it before.

This is a screenshot from my previous base without EU loaded where the deoxidizer is also full of slimelung. Notice how little slimelung there is in the air. And this deoxidizer has been running for a while, while the one in my other screenshot has only been on for 1/3 of a cycle.

image.thumb.png.d8445de33e92706c013315afea5fe18b.png

It may be that my previous base was so well oxygenated that the amount of algae being used was limited. I just noticed right away when I dug into the slime that something seemed different.

Oh well.. I'll keep experimenting.

So yeah... I'm most likely wrong. I tried forcing them to exclusively use germ infested algae. After a few cycles slimelung had spread between 5 floors, but as soon as I switched back to non-infested algae, my oxygen was almost completely clean again in 2 cycles.

So I'm gonna go ahead and keep stuffing the deoxidizer with whatever I can find. Slimelung is still just a bad flu.

Sorry for wasting your time guys... was hoping they had made the germ thing a bit tougher :D

Been playing 14 hours straight now. Perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me.

image.thumb.png.2ec481bb5ad2a6c492c7759905abc9df.png

image.thumb.png.cd6b2a628063744726334e721f61964e.png

Archived