2 Newish Players Desperately Need Tips & Advice Please!

Hello!

First post on these forums, glad to be here!

If this post happens to be in the wrong section, please let me know!

Ok, so, my brother and i have been playing Don't Starve Together for at least a few hours every day for going on 2 weeks now.

It's awesome and unique and intense and engaging and really keeps you thinking.

We learn new things every time we play, which is good, and we have had a few really good sessions (we got to day 21 once before a combo of cold and darkness killed us).

We have no problem gathering the basic construction supplies - grass, twigs, logs, rocks, and flint) but gaining and stockpiling food is our constant biggest failure every time we play.

If we are not lucky enough to be blessed with a good amount of berries and carrots right off the bat, we generally scurry around the map like chickens with our heads cut off living a nomadic foraging lifestyle.

Even when we do find sources of food (pigmen villages, spiders, beefaloes, ponds, rabbit holes, etc), we are still not really sure how to use them.

How do you convert monster meat to regular meat?

You have to feed it to some bird who converts it to an egg, I've read?

We have had limited success with fishing and trapping, but nothing consistent.

We feel like there is certain really obvious stuff we are missing but just cannot figure it out!

We have read a lot of "First 20 Days" and "Preparing For Winter" guides, and, while the information and series of tasks presented in them is logical enough, they always meet with unexpected drama when we try to implement them in the game.

So...help!

Any tips?

Suggestions?

Advice?

Thank you all in advance!

Please reply either on here or feel free to send me a message or friend request on PSN.

My PSN name on PS4 is FilthyLittleGod

Outside of winter if you have a pond near your base place 4 traps around it to catch a few frogs a day, also for trapping rabbits place the traps directly over the holes. As Pebrot said make sure your using the Crockpot to get the most out of your food. Also you can bait Molerats by dropping any kind of rock on the ground near them and wait for them to come feed on them, then just hit'm a couple times(they respawn every few days, same as rabbits).

You can't turn Monster Meat into regular Meat, but it is used in a ton of Crockpot Recipes. Also as you already learned building the Birdcage and catching a bird it can then be fed to the bird(once its either cooked or dried) to produce eggs which are another useful item for Crockpot recipes.  

My only true advice is learn to kite. Look up videos how to if needed, but if you can kite you can kill anything and get easy meat! Also I recommend that if you find mandrake, try not to eat them. If it's a last resort than go for it, but if it's just to get a bit more hunger then dont.

Good luck surviving!

6 hours ago, FilthyLittleGod said:

we got to day 21 once before a combo of cold and darkness killed us

You can pre-build structures so that the materials are used immediately but you can place it whenever you want. It's always a good idea to have pre-built campfires and firepits ready to place whenever an emergency happens.

You can't convert it to regular meat. However you can turn it to eggs. In order to do that you must build a birdcage (6 gold, 2 paper, 2 seeds, alchemy engine). After that build a birdtrap (4 silk and some sticks IIRC), You can bait the birdtrap with a seed or you can just wait for a bird to randomly fall in your trap, then you may place the bird in the birdcage. Cooked monster meat and other unwanted meat can be given to the bird to turn them into eggs. Eggs are useful for several important crockpot recipe, perhaps most notable is bacon and eggs (1.5 meat, 2 eggs) which heals 20, feeds 75, and last a long time. Expiring eggs can also be recycling into fresh eggs by cooking them and then feeding them to the the bird.

We have read a lot of "First 20 Days" and "Preparing For Winter" guides, and, while the information and series of tasks presented in them is logical enough, they always meet with unexpected drama when we try to implement them in the game.

Most important steps IMO is first, some winter clothing. Beefalo hat is the warmest, winter hat is perhaps cheaper to a noob though (?) After that build a crockpot (or 5) and an icebox; these will help your food see it's highest potential. Also, if you didn't already know, firepits (as opposed to campfires) are permanent, eliminates risk of fire spread, and makes your fuel go further.

Since food seems to be an issue for you, let me tell you about one of the best crockpot recipes. Meatballs. All it requires is 1 meat (including monster meats) and 3 fillers (except for twigs). So that means 1 monster meat and 3 berries makes meatballs, or 1 MM and 3 ice, or 1 MM and 3 mushrooms, etc. Does heal a tiny bit but also feeds almost 70 so it is very cheap hunger wise

To get monster meat, I recommend killing spiders. They have a very simple pattern to kite and don't have much health

Hey my dude! Would you and your brother enjoy getting into a small DST community on discord? We're quite active and we will have a dedicated server, we accept new players and will gladly help you and have fun together. :)

On 7/19/2018 at 8:18 PM, FilthyLittleGod said:

Hello!

First post on these forums, glad to be here!

If this post happens to be in the wrong section, please let me know!

Ok, so, my brother and i have been playing Don't Starve Together for at least a few hours every day for going on 2 weeks now.

It's awesome and unique and intense and engaging and really keeps you thinking.

We learn new things every time we play, which is good, and we have had a few really good sessions (we got to day 21 once before a combo of cold and darkness killed us).

We have no problem gathering the basic construction supplies - grass, twigs, logs, rocks, and flint) but gaining and stockpiling food is our constant biggest failure every time we play.

If we are not lucky enough to be blessed with a good amount of berries and carrots right off the bat, we generally scurry around the map like chickens with our heads cut off living a nomadic foraging lifestyle.

Even when we do find sources of food (pigmen villages, spiders, beefaloes, ponds, rabbit holes, etc), we are still not really sure how to use them.

We have had limited success with fishing and trapping, but nothing consistent.

We feel like there is certain really obvious stuff we are missing but just cannot figure it out!

So...help!

Any tips?

Suggestions?

Advice?

Thank you all in advance!

Please reply either on here or feel free to send me a message or friend request on PSN.

My PSN name on PS4 is FilthyLittleGod

Hey I'm the one who started the tips post and I wanted to say I would be happy to show you guys around you are going to be getting a friend request from SoulReaper666 I will play with you shortly :)

Archived