Not entirely sure if this is a thing. But last night I noticed that clicking on items in research do not open the codex(game manual). As I believe they would. I feel it makes perfect sense that clicking on the item in the research tree should open the game manual for additional information. I was able to ask a person on twitch if the current build has this function, but I lagged out. So, I will double check when I relaunch ONI.

Hey me, it does not.

Some sort of interface that allow players to see the remaining charge in circuit systems across the board. A HUD device that shows in numbers, or bar graph the available power in chosen circuits. I may make a picture.

Dig tool needs temperatures. And credit to a forum poster, the Germ count.

Flipping compost should not limited to farming, either operate(if something) but tidy and supply should either or both encompass the task. It's certainly a broad enough skill to be applicable to other fields or spheres of control. It shouldn't be tied solely to farming. Especially if you are trying to keep plants from being harvested.

Some objects make sounds to alert of completion, when built, which seems to be mainly the standard structures. The storage container, tiles(?), I guess mainly the industrial objects, and the basic amenities. But the mesh tile does not or the deodorizers. which is sad.

Disable disinfect does not copy through with copy settings, which is bad. at least not with stor cont, or planters.

The germ overlay doesn't save, I adjust the overlay and it changes back each load? Is that a bug? Does that slider actually do anything?

Assigning an outhouse removes the visible indicator of remaining uses. It seemed.

The game should warn you that it has begun to overwrite autosaves. Possibly prompting some mechanism that the player can use to save files more effectively. I am not sure at this moment but I may have lost an easily re-creatable eating bug, where 1000cal was deleted by a bladder flag. I will have to look back too see if I still have it. But, it can be very easy to lose track of the cycle count an begin to lose preliminary data that may be useful later, or a useful restore point. Which I frequently use.

Ration Boxes need permission menu's like doors. And there needs to be a button to deny it's use.

It would be nice to have ration boxes, storage containers, etc that you could assign to individual dupes. I think of them as the items from the job-site, as I remember. You always had your, 'Work pot, and your lunch pail'. That's the worksite I know.

Door Permissions should include bathroom&food exemptions, 'hall passes'.

Building mech doors over pdoors should be a function. As tile works, so should the doors.

Dupe Bio's, if they don't already should show the masteries gained and the current percentages thereof. I shouldn't have to go to the jobs board for it.

The Menu's for vitality, consumables, etc, show be viewable when using overlays such as thermal or germs.

Not entirely sure about the mechanics, but I feel, the oxydizers shouldn't wait until they are empty to flag to be refilled, and no one would design one that could not be filled un-powered. Nor would you wait until it was completely empty. So, it should be available as a supply task more often. I believe they hold 300ish kg?

capture_09012018_132816.jpg

The bluff briars should show tool tip info, and other stats same as other flora. If you don't want to give the impression it's food. Put a red letter flag in the top description box *Not Forage-able, but show us the life info the tool tip info, the box info. If for no other reason than to be a canary in the coal mine. when you mouse over it it's just blank, but the game book has every specific detail..

Also sometimes crops show no info for reasons, just halted. I get that it's balls of low pressure moving around.

capture_09012018_235802.jpg

The wire panel could possibly hotlink to the items listed. For instance I did not know that I had a functional mechanized airlock. I specifically tried to avoid that. It'd be nice to click on the heading and go to it. And i've still not found it...

capture_09022018_081637.thumb.jpg.c2d485360d910e8474c5d76be35a7d4d.jpg

I think i see it hiding beside the research station, gotta turn that thing off. :)

The electric air lock needs a on/off button(like light fixtures), that reverts it to manual like other toggle items. It has the missing block needed for a disable(depower) toggle.capture_09022018_143945.thumb.jpg.d1375de9f99346edadb506aadade5ee7.jpg

On reload anything behind unpowered mech doors is unreachable.

SHINEBUGS!!!!! <3 :)

SHINEBUGS.thumb.png.baef481e3e557f88914bb7267e3dbf01.png

Unfortunately I did math. This iteration of LC has only 14 Mealwoods, and 21 berries. So, at best it could host 2 dupes on drops alone, which is cutting it. But, with nearly one berry and 1+ mealwood each cycle it could support an individual comfortably with no inputs. And a virtual world of algae and slime to oxidize, nearly limitless. In order to bring all three along for the trip it has taken the nine full planters to keep it manageable. Granted this is a low flora LC, but with very few other external sources a sustainable future is ahead. Next is figuring out what to do with the rest of the map.

This is Burt, he's teaching me about super thin hydrogen. It's cycle 40 something now, but, he's still alive!

capture_08282018_235834.jpg

Duplicant Tasking

The delegation of tasks is sometimes still very sketchy. Like Burt, he wants to add 20-25 tiles to his work trip. I would understand this motivation if he had a supply task. But, he doesn't. So, in my mind he should be intent on getting to the work site, not deciding for me how best to do it. Dupes doing 'supply' tasks 100 tiles away are not helping! I realize some of this may have been addressed with the 'Area Priority' button thing. But this goes to the fundamentals of the game and how it is scripted. There is certainly some space for refinement, and cohesion. Getting dupes too(?) 'stay in their lane'. If I wanted Construction Delivery there should be a task designated, "Construction Delivery'. Which is separate and distinct, aside of 'Supply'.

I have another instance similar where two storage containers being built nearly simultaneously, just above one-another, and Turner can not concentrate on the 9's right in front of him. He insists on helping build the one below him, when they would both complete their own tasks at the same time. Supply is to integral to the function of the colony for it to be side tracked by some hair brained idea that running 200 tiles to deliver this 60kg of ig stone is all that matters.

capture_08302018_023153.jpg

And actually as it so happens this map or set-up is ideal for showcasing, and creating issues, that arise.

One thing I think would be useful for the game would be different types, and shapes of the same structure within the game. Why be stuck with a 2x2 pump? Why not have a 1x3? Different powers levels? Various pumping attributes. A double power 2x3? There are many, many options to be considered when constructing equipment. Why not have components? Re-distributive components that are plug and play? Does the ration box always have to be a 2x3 box? How about a 1x3 battery? Lights that spin like the farm tiles? Small heat lamps that spin like farm tiles. Stack-able components that contribute the power generators? Why must they be rigid boxes of this or that? How would I like a 3 tile U-shaped pump? An L shaped NatGas generator? I have mentioned before about the manual generators, why could we not invest in better gearing? Lighter designs? Why not a 1x3 hand-winch? Insulated versions of everything. The list goes on and on. I really wish they would open the box to the blessing of intuitive inventiveness of the community. And while I understand some of those ideas are far fetched and possibly difficult to implement, those too me are more valuable venues of development.

We really need to be able to zoom out on the Research window.

Maybe link the research window to to UI zoom setting, as well as a default.

When building on the map, the ghost pictures, placing mesh on top of a plain tile should replace the build order with the mesh tile build. And visa versa. Like when digging and placing a ladder does. It modifies the command and adjusts the activity.

All of the main menu's should be able to stay open and active when viewing overlays. Why can't I see vitals, in thermal view?

The roller ball should not force the screen to zoom in after it being adjusted in 'screenshot mode'. It should stay locked at the magnification I have set it at. Disable that, please.

I had to stop playing for a bit to take a breath. It cost me about an hour of game time, and the half-a-cycle pictured. This picture doesn't say it all, but I would like to formulate the issues I have with pathing and dupe decision making in ONI. I just can't type it all right now.capture_08312018_115200.thumb.jpg.4cc0d0a2a3669d76ed127faa1de0d99f.jpg

As full of hate and rage as I was. I just saw his options for actions( he has a low urgency for relieving self) and he'd be happy too do it for you. lol (the selected  Devon could....) Like it's an 'option'.

So, I skipped it, and jumped back into playing it. As I didn't want to spend an overt amount of time typing and screen capturing. But, as this crash gets me for an entire cycle, it was at the autosave in the morning. (which brings to mind the issue with using load game on the main menu.). Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the fact the ONI did the work of saving 10 cy worth of work. It attracted me, but I also now realize I wish we had an in day autosave feature. What I guess the autosave really kinda did, quick saves during play, to reboot silly errors. The very last moments of cy52 and poof. So, I thought I may document the errors that led up to poor Devon's accident,. I just don't have the desire in me atm. I'm gonna have to get in the habit of making multiple in cycle saves. The days are too easily fraught with miscues and mis-comprehension.

The load on-going game thing sometimes actually loads the previous day, I'm pretty sure.

I also see I have a sunny shine in the wild, my purpose reborn.... In the ruin adjacent the colony, the sole remaining shine dropped a sunny egg. I am not sure what to do. But, it makes me happy. :p

I know how and why it happened, I just had to have a screenshot.  :)

capture_09102018_201556.thumb.jpg.d42ca2fe5b911b8a4cc2fac0ed2e7335.jpg

And now for a cy14 detour, I feel it's worth it to postpone the ring work for a short time. In order to get my hands on 1 degree granite. It's so pretty blue. Better than the temps at cy21.

capture_09112018_143024.thumb.jpg.ed2ecbd34e92d6e3dfd32b1c4aa07fb5.jpg

capture_09112018_143238.thumb.jpg.2f4ec58cf73f9ac9a4637f308b32be05.jpg

The difference in temp is worth it.

capture_09112018_152445.thumb.jpg.7e7c275011ec49999357d65b2ea50afc.jpgcapture_09112018_152456.thumb.jpg.3cca2f9def6fdbb6c672054a301590e9.jpgcapture_09112018_152450.thumb.jpg.26f9771a9f093bec38b93ced8cf8be19.jpg

Cannot wait to see the tiles this stuff makes. There is about 15 tons of very cool granite there. That's a lot of cold ladders. I'd like to get hands on cool iron for my light fixtures, and cold granite under-tiles...

For me this is really a punishing game too want to love and enjoy, sometimes. With only 52 cy I am out of dirt. I know because I don't want to raze my biome it puts me in a specific category. But 9 planter boxes, two outhouses, and low tier research eat it up. Compared to the amount of soil in the home biome(for me), and compared to the amount of material stretched across the game board it really seems under balanced. Another wall for me. Took awhile to just get it to this point.

capture_09272018_182311.thumb.jpg.4a096d5da622a2291522015793061de2.jpg

And in my fugue of pessimism, I stumbled upon a bug for ceiling lights. Didn't seem listed, so I posted it. Why not? ;p

I used to get paid for that stuff, back when these things were called, 'demos'. This run had me trying new things, it was a different evolution. Thanks to some light from a forum poster about the diagonal building, and while I had been aware of it, I wasn't necessarily embracing it as a tactic. As I did part way through this build. I am just kind of saddened and disheartened that 100 tiles of dirt I refuse to rip up essentially ends my game. Granted on my terms. But as I've mentioned I have no interest in creating a checkerbox of shipping containers, and/or be forced to play a particular type of game or style. It's not a complete dead end for me, but after hoping to make some noticeable progress over the course of a month, diligently and vigilantly managing dupe activity, there would be some pay-off. But instead after not minding that number for awhile, here it is the end of my game.... this was just about the best that i could have hoped to do for LC, I'm at a loss kinda, even if I dig up some of what I found acceptable in the past, it only gets me as much as what I had already. So, I'd would HAVE to be dirt sufficient in 100cy or so, or it's doomed. I'm kinda drawing a blank as to what to do, or how best to go about it. Stumped. I just completed the sieve research, and the skimmer and coal. but, I'm not sure I can set it up quick enough to provide the dirt I will need soon.

capture_09272018_204730.thumb.jpg.75cdbc2baba4bc70336f7c36681f39df.jpgcapture_09272018_204705.thumb.jpg.b04844f368db4e72bc32e39b63602d24.jpg

I think it should have a new research branch of, 'Refinement'. Logistics would fall under that category. And the 'Chalk Board' can be researched. Allowing for the planning overlays. Opens the ability to graph various things. Possible refinements to this could be to increase build times for object, creations copied over from the chalk board. Logistics could improve storage, capacities, access time, improved digging yields, etc., and more. This is still fresh of the top of my head. And a new Job type and title Quartermaster. They handle inventories, and distribute resources, and also possibly food. Maybe a 'Store Front' type building for them to utilize. Similar in concept to the farm stations, or other stations. This could be a great venue for the 'Tinkering' ability.

Also the research arm should include a branch for 'Analytics'. I'd like too know, at some point, the totals of all the resources generated on the seed. Some version of research in this branch could also unlock the ability to modify the cursor and it's attributes. At first I was thinking only of the X,Y axis. So we could have a little help counting sometimes, it's been a mentioned forum topic in the past. But now, in writing this it could be combined with my request of including the temps on the dig tool. To the additional suggestion from another to add the germ count to the tool. But, any and all of those could simply be the function of research and knowledge within the game itself. Unlocking these attributes with research could keep research viable. And restore more value to the 'Learning' trait. And as I also understand, from some, the research is done quite early, and that the need for it diminishes greatly.

Advanced Technical Research might also include 'Surveying'. Unlocking the 'Graph' mouse, and the 'Axis' mouse

A 'Transit' overlay that dims the map, except for dupes, doors, combined pathing. With filters for critters, and the tech stuff I don't know about, like the tubes and stuff, conveyor belts and what not. Maybe has it's own right hand-side bar-menu with door counts, which type, tubes, etc...

Consumables~[A food overlay, not sure what to call it yet.... shows plants critters germs?] and of course food.

Exploratory Research might be a field also.

A 'Hygenie' overlay that shows plumbing and germs together, maybe power?

Any of these overlays should be accessible by a drag and crop. So, you could activate some filters, that would make the drag and drop window show the overlay inside the cropped window. Additionally, that crop should be able to be dragged in to another window, a mini-viewer.

A lower-right hand button for the cursor(as abilities are unlocked) that looks like the cancel menu. But, has check marks for axis, graph, temp, germs, etc....(also a blank cursor would be nice)a 'no info' cursor

Something I just found out, for those who may not know, or realize. When I used the copy paste settings for my planters, I set it for an 8. When I constructed them. So, I assume it means harvest and tend to this plant as a high-ish priority. This is not so.capture_09022018_145001.thumb.jpg.0a63af59377c65e9b5e601bb9130caa7.jpg

Seems that it's how it worked, and I thought it was working. But that assumption was wrong. capture_09022018_145010.thumb.jpg.e13782cdbab695dc0e5b4f65a196d9c9.jpg

Using the copy paste setting into planters does not mean that the 'plant' will be tended to on an 8 priority. It means that the planter will be tended to on an 8 priority.

I could not for the life of me keep him on task with the planters. Now I know why. They have been set wrong since I built them, little did I know. It cost me the cy morning to get it. But, that means this entire run/build has been compromised. Not only that, I am fairly certain I have used the harvest tool specifically to enforce the idea. And, would show as an 8 on my sub-priority menu.capture_09022018_145025.thumb.jpg.c7d62f4a691f29271fb24fa521e15c6c.jpg

However the plant will still be at the default 5, and it shows as an 8 on the sub priority menu(I've not looked at the harvest overlay yet, I honestly don't use it much, I probably should.). And then I've had to go an manually adjust each plant to be on an 8 priority. I did not know or see this until now. I seem to have not used it on the plant or dragged and dropped from the floor up or something. The harvest tool itself does change the plant when clicked on. But there is no visible signifier that it changed, or what the number is.

The harvest sub-overlay should display numbers just above the sickle.

And that wires can pass behind them, I didn't know that for a long time either.

Archived