Free oil boiler?

2 minutes ago, he77789 said:

Oil boiling is exothermic because of the heat capacity differences. Has anyone tried to make a oil boiler with the generated heat so free oil to ng? I would like to see such a hillarious design.

most oil boilers use the extra heat from the NG to pre heat oil before it boils

So a perpetual heat source? 

I don't think it's possible I have tried having NG leave the boiler at the same temp as the oil going in but I think there is some heat deletion going on as it doesn't take long before the boiler cools down and needs to be heated up again

No, that doesn't work, unfortunately.  (Actually, probably fortunately).  And it is not a bug.  I have tried.  But the issue is that when the crude oil boils to petroleum or the petroleum to nat gas, the mass loses about 5 C.  That means that the extremely hot natural gas has to spend some of its temperature heating natural gas 5 C, that 5 C being from below the boiling point of petroleum to above, which lowers the temperature of the hot natural gas.  Eventually, the natural gas isn't hot enough to boil the petroleum anymore. 

There is a difference between thermal energy and temperature.  Thermal energy is added, but so is mass.

17 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

So a perpetual heat source? 

I don't think it's possible I have tried having NG leave the boiler at the same temp as the oil going in but I think there is some heat deletion going on as it doesn't take long before the boiler cools down and needs to be heated up again

No, this is simply thermo-dynamics at work.  Even though the NG has more energy then the incoming oil, you can not heat something hotter than itself temperature wise.  Therefore, there can only be a downward tend of temperature loss by using the NG purely to heat the oil.  Thus, you need a hot-plate to maintain the temperature.  Heat will always be lost and wasted because you can not create a perfect heat exchanger.  Even in ONI it's nearly impossible but especially so in real-life.  The exchange of heat depends on the difference of temperature between the two materials in question.

The only way that a perpetual NG boiler could work is if the NG was created at a higher temperature after the conversion.  It does not matter that it contains more heat energy overall then the oil.

Archived