"More Variety" Suggestions

1. "Tune up trait". Additional variants

• Plastic/glass 'Insulator upgrade/chip', something like -10% heat, +10% power, potentially long lived upgrade, how long it lives depends on temperature, not on how long generator works
  • Diamond 'hardener/chip', +100% input consumption, +100% output and +200% heat, +100% power
  • Sand/coal/reed feeber 'filter/chip', -20% input, -20% heat, same power, -10% output where possible (otherwise -20 to keep mass balance)

If you have any upgrade installed you can't install the new one until old one runs out. Experienced Engineers (perhaps even new Master Engineer job?) can install no more then 2.

Reasons: Metals are not always that accessible (or at least were prior to cosmic upgrade), 50% pure power bonus is not always the most needed resource, and variety is good on its own as long as it doesn't ruin "balance".

2. Textile factory

• "Rubberized" clothes (plastic? something organic? apocetary synthesized clay?), same as basic closes, but gives 'soggy feat' immunity
  • "Wraps" - for treatment/medical purposes or for covering face and body as a makeshift air filter - halves germs gain, or halves harm from toxic substances (once there will be any), higher chance to get wet. 
  • Wall carpet (blank for Art dupe to work at?)
  • Bed covers - reduces effects of cold and heat onto sleeping dupe, slightly increases decor

Reasons: there is so many uses for cloth-like materials and yet we almost never need it

3. Plants variations

• Thorn plants. Randomly occurring, can be removed by anybody for a price of couple scratches and a little bit of poison, some gas or vacuum can kill/disable them, but farmer can turn them into fertilizer or seeds, when planted can harm domesticated critters.
  • Moss (harvestable or/and harmful) Appears in wet environments with certain gasses, consumes liquids to grow and very inefficiently produces oxygen, material for some medicines, compost or can be crafted into terrible food source that warranties poisoning.
  • Not plantable trees (plant variation of a volcano/geyser, for example tree in large indestructible plant pot in ruins), can have a low passive foods/organics/gas output/conversion, can be boosted by high-end farmer or water input
  • Plantable bushes that take very long to grow and need more space, take longer then normal plants to be harvest ready, if they are not provided with 'domestic requirement' they die and you need to start process again, but once they grew they have lower environment requirements, lower input requirements high harvest output in comparison to most other plants.

Reason: Current plant variations are a bit too peaceful) And trees sound like a nice alternative to some gas 'geysers', bushes will keep you on your toes more (since your farmer will have to serve them in time) for higher gain.

P.S I know it is not very good idea to make everything into single topic, but I honestly can't push myself to create more)

I really like a lot of the ideas here! For the first one, I would prefer that it was its own dupe, like an "addon engineer" or something. As far as plants go, I like your ideas, but I would like it if the trees were plantable, because if you, for some reason, had to cut them down, it would be basically game over in that department.

1 hour ago, mr peeps said:

For the first one, I would prefer that it was its own dupe, like an "addon engineer" or something.

And what to do about normal engineer? He will remain traitles in such case, "tune up" trait is prerogative of an engineer and without that trait there will be little reason to train your dupe to be an engineer. but some kind of Electric Engineer->Master Enginner for more options will be nice to have.

because if you, for some reason, had to cut them down, it would be basically game over in that department.

Assuming it can be cut... It even might be some kind of branch of a space tree that might regrow from 'outside' if destroyed by dupes or environment. Geysers are the same - they erupt from somewhere and can't be destroyed...

3 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

And what to do about a normal engineer? He will remain traitles in such case, "tune up" trait is prerogative of an engineer and without that trait there will be little reason to train your dupe to be an engineer. but some kind of Electric Engineer->Master Enginner for more options will be nice to have.

True, maybe some other purpose for them. But just a regular engineer seems a bit to early for things like that, in my opinion at least

3 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

Assuming it can be cut... It even might be some kind of branch of a space tree that might regrow from 'outside' if destroyed by dupes or environment. Geysers are the same - they erupt from somewhere and can't be destroyed...

Thats a bit far fetched but so is surviving on an asteroid. I guess that could work, depending on how it was implemented. We'll see!

Thats a bit far fetched but so is surviving on an asteroid. I guess that could work, depending on how it was implemented. We'll see!

That was a bit of an exasteretion on my part. But there still a lot of ways to implement that.

For example we have ruins. Why can't be there some kind of pot in ruins that continuously spams a tree because of some slightly exasperated, slightly logical reason? (updated header with this idea) In such case it might also have an input pipe for water)

Archived